Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Saint Lucia
Reload this Page >

Electricity supply - St Lucia

Electricity supply - St Lucia

Old Oct 19th 2011, 3:41 pm
Forum Regular

Sarah1234 is a glorious beacon of lightSarah1234 is a glorious beacon of lightSarah1234 is a glorious beacon of lightSarah1234 is a glorious beacon of lightSarah1234 is a glorious beacon of lightSarah1234 is a glorious beacon of lightSarah1234 is a glorious beacon of lightSarah1234 is a glorious beacon of lightSarah1234 is a glorious beacon of lightSarah1234 is a glorious beacon of lightSarah1234 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Electricity supply - St Lucia

I wonder if anyone has ever had the experience of moving into new accomadation in St Lucia and what happens with the electric supply.

I have just moved into a new apartment, the previous occupant left without paying her bill, but as she had the meter installed it is supposedly "hers" so Lucelec are now saying that I have to go to court and get an order for the change of name from hers into mine, does anyone know if this is correct? It seems strange to me. I did what we do in the UK and notified them that I had moved in and the meter reading was x, but they say that is not how things are done. Customer services, when I call them, don't even seem to know what the procedure is either. Does anyone have any experience of this type of thing?

Strange one I know but I do not have the money for court orders for changes of names etc.

Thanks,
Sarah
Old Oct 19th 2011, 7:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electricity supply - St Lucia

Originally Posted by Sarah1234
I wonder if anyone has ever had the experience of moving into new accomadation in St Lucia and what happens with the electric supply.

I have just moved into a new apartment, the previous occupant left without paying her bill, but as she had the meter installed it is supposedly "hers" so Lucelec are now saying that I have to go to court and get an order for the change of name from hers into mine, does anyone know if this is correct? It seems strange to me. I did what we do in the UK and notified them that I had moved in and the meter reading was x, but they say that is not how things are done. Customer services, when I call them, don't even seem to know what the procedure is either. Does anyone have any experience of this type of thing?

Strange one I know but I do not have the money for court orders for changes of names etc.

Thanks,
Sarah
Hi Sarah,

Since it seems to be just you and me these days I cannot say I've had any experience with Lucelec in this regard but was left with a Wasco bill by the previous occupier and had to pay it due to a cock and bull story he came up with about the reason for it.

Nothing is (easy) as it seems in jolly old SLU.

Sorry!
Old Oct 19th 2011, 7:41 pm
Forum Regular

Sarah1234 is a glorious beacon of lightSarah1234 is a glorious beacon of lightSarah1234 is a glorious beacon of lightSarah1234 is a glorious beacon of lightSarah1234 is a glorious beacon of lightSarah1234 is a glorious beacon of lightSarah1234 is a glorious beacon of lightSarah1234 is a glorious beacon of lightSarah1234 is a glorious beacon of lightSarah1234 is a glorious beacon of lightSarah1234 is a glorious beacon of light

I agree Peter, you have to have the patience of a saint here and a bottomless pocket!

I just hope I dont end up having to pay out a lot of cash - as, like most of us nowadays I am not exactly loaded!

Sarah
Old Oct 19th 2011, 8:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree Peter, you have to have the patience of a saint here and a bottomless pocket!

I just hope I dont end up having to pay out a lot of cash - as, like most of us nowadays I am not exactly loaded!

Sarah
I have a strange situation where I have a WASCO meter road-side while I actually live half a mile up a track road away from that road so I have huge jeopardy from trucks, cows, you name it who trample on the pipe where it is at or close to the surface. Makes for an interesting time, particularly when somebody does in fact break the pipe, unbeknownst to me, and the water flows in the tens of thousands of gallons into the local swamp as happened a few years back.

Things can get pretty heated in our hood when these problems persist but we are trying to get a communal four-inch pipe installed for new residents if and when they move up behind us here to get rid of this type of supply problem. At that time our meter would be right outside our gate.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Oct 19th 2011 at 8:39 pm.
Old Oct 20th 2011, 2:52 pm

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
Hi Sarah,

Since it seems to be just you and me these days I cannot say I've had any experience with Lucelec in this regard but was left with a Wasco bill by the previous occupier and had to pay it due to a cock and bull story he came up with about the reason for it.

Nothing is (easy) as it seems in jolly old SLU.

Sorry!
Pete I am still around, have been a bit busy helping a family make the move from UK to St Lucia.
Old Oct 20th 2011, 4:13 pm
Forum Regular

Angry Re: Electricity supply - St Lucia

New reply from Lucelec, very similar to your experience Peter, pay the arrears ( that the previous occupier ran up) or get cut off - ridiculous!
Old Oct 21st 2011, 4:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

New reply from Lucelec, very similar to your experience Peter, pay the arrears ( that the previous occupier ran up) or get cut off - ridiculous!
Makes the Credit Controller's job nice and easy doesn't it?

The big problem is that due to corruption/cronyism, there are those who can keep a delinquent account open if they know the right people at Lucelec or Wasco and invite them to appropriate parties and the like (no kidding) and the sucker that comes along behind has to foot an even larger bill.

As you say, Ridiculous and shouldn't really have any legal basis.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Oct 21st 2011 at 4:28 pm.