Doggie resources St Lucia

Old Jun 29th 2011, 8:00 am
Just Joined

lala75 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Doggie resources St Lucia

Hi,
My husband has just been offered a job in St Lucia and we are hopefully moving in a couple of months. We are hoping to bring our dog with us and she will be following us out in about 6 months.

What I was wondering is what resources there are for dogs on St Lucia. Are there boarding kennels/ pet sitters for when we go home to visit family? How many vets are on the island? Can dogs go off leash on walks? etc etc

I would really appreciate it if anyone with experience of bring their dogs could help answer my questions. Also how well do they acclimatise???!

Lala
Old Jun 29th 2011, 4:10 pm

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Doggie resources St Lucia

Originally Posted by lala75
Hi,
My husband has just been offered a job in St Lucia and we are hopefully moving in a couple of months. We are hoping to bring our dog with us and she will be following us out in about 6 months.

What I was wondering is what resources there are for dogs on St Lucia. Are there boarding kennels/ pet sitters for when we go home to visit family? How many vets are on the island? Can dogs go off leash on walks? etc etc

I would really appreciate it if anyone with experience of bring their dogs could help answer my questions. Also how well do they acclimatise???!

Lala
Have I ever seen a dog being walked on a leash in St Lucia ?... I think not
Dogs are not regarded like pets are in England. There are plenty of stray dogs wandering around. The ones who keep pets, generally tend to keep them in their grounds. In fact I have seen a few people walk their dog on a beach with a leash, not many. If your dog is a girl, make sure she does not wander off out of your grounds as the stray dogs will jump her, and some do not look too healthy. Pet sitters tend to be neigbours or housekeeper if you have one.
Old Jul 9th 2011, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

glitterycloud will become famous soon enoughglitterycloud will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Doggie resources St Lucia

I had a dog when living in St Lucia, in fact our dog is still there for the time being until we can afford to bring him back to the UK.

We took him for walks on leash as he is a pedigree and didn't want him mixing with the vast amount of strays.

We would take him to the beach and let him off the leash, this is ok as long as its not a beach by a hotel, we took him to Cas en Bas most of the time.

There are a few vets on island but be prepared to pay quite alot for treatment. Our furry friend nearly died of tick fever.

Just beware of the amount of stray dogs and large aggressive dogs, my dog got out a few times (he is a large well built lab) and can back badly beaten up, it took alot of tlc to get him well again.