Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

What is wrong with you lot...it's Christmas time???

What is wrong with you lot...it's Christmas time???

Old Dec 16th 2015, 3:14 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default What is wrong with you lot...it's Christmas time???

Forget all that Happy Holiday crap...let's get into the Christmas Spirit....let's see some Christmas avatars.

Some lucky person could win a BE mug. Gawd knows how much that would be worth on EBay.
Old Dec 16th 2015, 11:19 am
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is wrong with you lot...it's Christmas time???

I can only speak for me but a nasty bout of cold has nipped any sense of creativity right in the bud. I don't even have the Christmas tre decorated yet.
Old Dec 16th 2015, 11:30 am
BE Forum Addict

themajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond repute

Merry Christmas Ho Ho Ho Instead of Avatars. Wheres me Mug? Ho Ho Ho
Attached Thumbnails What is wrong with you lot...it's Christmas time???-sailors-christmas..jpg  
Attached Images     
Old Dec 16th 2015, 5:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

michali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond repute

Hope you feel better curleytops! I have had cold after cold since returning 19 months ago. I want the mug!
Old Dec 16th 2015, 9:34 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Then you are going the right way to be in it to win it Michali.

I confess. I've not got the Christmas tree sorted yet either what with one thing and another. Bit of poorliness on my part is my excuse and uncertainty over MrBEVS employment 7 the MILs health. I've not even posted the few Christmas cards we send or made/bought the small gifts I had in mind

What a hopeless case I am but I'll now give myself a talking to in the morriw , which the mirror will not like & un-Grinch/Scrooge myself.

So anymore for anymore. I would like to see many lovely Christmas avatars up here in this UK section. Show the rest of the world what you're made of.

...and don't forget to send me a PM telling me which ones you feel are worth going in the comp. to possible win a mug and a BE ad free membership.

cheers all.

BEVS
Old Dec 20th 2015, 10:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

I am really looking forward to Christmas this year. Last year I spent it totally alone for the first time in my life. My daughter and son-in-law are coming from Stratford Upon Avon where they moved from NYC last July. It's almost been a year since I saw them. I have the tree up and everything looks like Christmas. I'm still adjusting to living here after three months. I haven't found it particularly easy.
The Avatar is of my 8 year old long coat Chihuahua, Starla.
Merry Christmas!
Old Dec 21st 2015, 8:30 am
BE Forum Addict

michali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond repute

My avatar is of me and my husband but I am not even nominated! Bah humbug!! Seriously though, I wish everyone on BE a wonderful, healthy and happy Christmas. And thanks to all the moderators for their hard work during the year.
Old Dec 21st 2015, 10:04 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Christmas greetings and good wishes, BEers. I haven't been around much because my doggy ruptured his cruciate ligament and has had surgery.

It was the left back leg this time - he did his right back leg 2 years ago in Perth. OMG, we couldn't believe it when it happened again - he went to follow Scouse upstairs, missed the first step, and that was all it took.

So much for our first Christmas together (and my first one ever) in the UK.

I had visions of us taking our time choosing the yummiest treats for Christmas dinner, floating around the shops picking out clever little pressies for Scouse's family, buying those gorgeous, huge Chrissy cards you get here and sending them to my family in Oz, and strolling through the Christmas markets, arm-in-arm and rosy cheeked, stopping often to sip mulled wine and smile at all the happy little children.

The reality has been around the clock nursing for a 45kg, 10 year old mutt who only has one speed - flat out.
Who refuses to be taken outside for a wee until he's busting and frantic. Who thinks it's beneath his dignity to poo while balancing on three legs, so he holds onto it for 5 days.
Except for the bit he allowed to escape onto his brand new orthopedic doggy bed, which cost more than our brand new people bed.
Who, 10 minutes after Scouse caught a bus to speak to the vet about the 'no poo problem', decided to lay 4 of the biggest barker's eggs I've ever seen.
3 of those were on the turf out the back. The other one was in the kitchen, on the way to the turf out the back. He trod in that one.

I can't wait until Christmas morning, when I'll give him a cuddle and say Merry Christmas, you filthy animal.

Just as well we love him so much
Old Dec 21st 2015, 10:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

So sorry your Christmas is not what you hoped it would be. Hope your dog recovers quickly. But I had to laugh! You write brilliantly! Wishing you all the best!
Old Dec 22nd 2015, 11:00 am
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by michali
So sorry your Christmas is not what you hoped it would be. Hope your dog recovers quickly. But I had to laugh! You write brilliantly! Wishing you all the best!
+1
Old Dec 22nd 2015, 12:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

I think this past year may have been a record for ex-pats "un-ex-patting" themselves as we saw the return of many who have long planned and prayed for homecomings finally have their dreams realised. I hope your first Christmas back on these shores will be happy and memorable for you. This may or may not live up to our expectations as the perfect Christmas but I think we have to stop and think we're lucky for what we have and enjoy the season for what it is with those we have around us.

2015 has been a time for hubby and I to realise how lucky we are to have one another well and happy together as many are not so fortunate. This past year has seen tragedy not once but twice in my extended family and now two beautiful young people will not be there to share the holidays. Then, just a few days ago we lost a dear friend who helped us keep the faith that things would work out in the time before my return to this country. Events like this really put things in perspective and while we may have our ups and downs, we are lucky to be here and happy together.

This Christmas finds me a bit nostalgic and looking back fondly on a long ago Christmas - 49 years ago to be exact. It was our first Christmas in Canada and in so many ways it was like something out of a Currier & Ives scene; quite magical really.

We lived in this big old rambling house by a lake in the woods. It was a cosy little enclave really with five houses dotted around the lakeshore complete with a good handful of kids to play with. The first snowfall had transformed the place into the quintessential winter wonderland and with it came many firsts. My first true white Christmas for starters - I'd seen snow on Christmas Eve and Boxing Day at some point or another in my first years in England but never actually on the day. There was certainly no worries about having a green Christmas that year.

I remember the fun really got started about two weeks beforehand when one day my Dad came home with a wonderful surprise - an addition to the family in the form of a beautiful little bundle of white fluff. Rocky, our new Samoyed puppy was to be the first of several as our family fell in love with this lovely dog and has had a Sammy or two in the clan pretty much ever since and to this day. Sadly, poor little Rocky met his demise long before his time but I will never forget him opening his little parcel from under the tree that Christmas morning with just as much fervor and excitement as the human "kids" had.

That first Canadian Christmas had some other new and exciting experiences for us including learning how to skate on the ice. Living beside a frozen lake has its advantages and you can just pop outside and make a rink as big as you want in whatever shape you want - we were limited only by how long we wanted to shovel snow to clear it. We enjoyed skating at night when the moon on the surrounding snow made things so bright it was almost like daylight. And the hot chocolate afterward was the best we'd ever had. Christmas morning brought me a brand new pair of figure skates and my sister got a toboggan. We invented a rather unique sledding course and "aerial sledding" which involved launching the toboggan off a snow covered rock cut beside the house, down a slope to the frozen lake edge and over the top of the dock followed by a further glide out onto the snow covered ice. After that, an ordinary sled slope just seemed downright boring! Rocky loved aerial sled rides too.

There were bittersweet moments as well. It seemed really strange not having our Gran and Granda with us that year as they were back here in England. We were very excited to open that brown papered overseas parcel on Christmas morning (sent in October so it was sure to arrive in time). Gran always made sure we got a toy we liked but what I do remember about that parcel were the St. Michael's jumpers for my sister and I along with the much-anticipated selection box. Even then I knew I missed British chocolate!

One memory of that year that has come to the forefront in recent days was the old second-hand record player my Dad bought for the family a couple of days before Christmas. The previous owner had left an old Christmas LP on the turntable and we loved it! It wasn't performed by anyone famous, it was just a good old-fashioned family Christmas record. Over the years it got played to death (year round I might add) and in retrospect I imagine we drove our parents and no doubt many of the neighbours nuts with it.

Being of the old vinyl variety, this record suffered it's fair share of scratches and nicks and it sits even now in a cupboard at my Dad's house collecting dust because nobody has a turntable any more and it's hardly audible now anyway. To this day it has remained my favorite Christmas album of all time and knew it would be pretty well impossible to replace in digital format. I mean, what are the chances of finding some obscure Christmas record performed by "generic" artists? I'd say it makes the odds of a lottery jackpot win look pretty good. Well folks, the jackpot will have to wait because guess what Curleytops found on YouTube this year! I've been playing it non-stop and I think Dad is going to surprise my sister this Christmas Day with it. It brings back so many happy memories for me.

I suppose I'd really better shut up here now since I've blabbed everyone's lugs off but wanted to share this. I hope some of you will also share a favorite or memorable Christmas with us; it would be lovely to hear from you. I'll finish off now by saying I hope you all have a wonderful, Happy Christmas and Happy New Year, from our house to yours!
Old Dec 23rd 2015, 9:11 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Well thank you for your Christmas form letter to the World.

On my first Christmas Day in Canada in 1982 it was minus 28C and a tree fell on my car, which I'd bought new in California the previous Christmas when it was plus 28C.

An evil climate and one I'm well rid of.

Cumbria, however, this year at least, seems little better.
Old Dec 24th 2015, 7:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Well thank you for your Christmas form letter to the World.

On my first Christmas Day in Canada in 1982 it was minus 28C and a tree fell on my car, which I'd bought new in California the previous Christmas when it was plus 28C.

An evil climate and one I'm well rid of.

Cumbria, however, this year at least, seems little better.
Done the tree on the car thing over there as well but in mid-july. Fortunately, Cumbria's a little easier for us to cope with from the top of the hill. I remind myself daily that at least we're dry and don't have to shovel this crap. Would rather be over in your neck of the woods for the hols though.
Old Dec 24th 2015, 7:53 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by curleytops
Done the tree on the car thing over there as well but in mid-july. Fortunately, Cumbria's a little easier for us to cope with from the top of the hill. I remind myself daily that at least we're dry and don't have to shovel this crap. Would rather be over in your neck of the woods for the hols though.
How true. And at my (our?) age that is hugely important.

Merry Christmas.
Old Dec 31st 2015, 12:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Forget all that Happy Holiday crap...let's get into the Christmas Spirit
Some of us were out getting into the Christmas spirits:sant a:

Now onto New Year....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.