What makes Britain Great?

Old Oct 18th 2013, 2:29 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What makes Britain Great?

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
You were doing so well with your pedantry until you described the play on words as 'clever'. The play on words to which you refer is very much categorised as a cliché nowadays.
Oh shit, I should have checked with you first just to make sure I didn't accidentally provide credit to something so passé

Originally Posted by not2old
what has that comment got to do with the OP?
Can you actually read? Is it more likely it had to do with the post I quoted, perhaps?
Old Oct 18th 2013, 2:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Oh shit, I should have checked with you first just to make sure I didn't accidentally provide credit to something so passé
That's ok, don't kick yourself about it.

In any case, whether or not it's a cliché (which it is ) neither of us have mentioned that the word 'great' in it should not really be capitalized.
Old Oct 18th 2013, 2:38 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

That's ok, don't kick yourself about it.

In any case, whether or not it's a cliché (which it is ) neither of us have mentioned that the word 'great' in it should not really be capitalized.
It is part of a title, so in effect the capitalisation is acceptable.
Old Oct 18th 2013, 2:40 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Can you actually read? Is it more likely it had to do with the post I quoted, perhaps?
I guess it must be wind up Friday!

Are you trying to be smarter than my little finger? watch it cos it'll come right back at you

You wouldn't by chance have a few loose screws to play with, or is this your clever 'play on words' day?

Back to topic
Old Oct 18th 2013, 2:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

It is part of a title, so in effect the capitalisation is acceptable.
Only if 'makes' was capitalized as well.
Old Oct 18th 2013, 2:46 pm
I have a comma problem

I guess it must be wind up Friday!

Are you trying to be smarter than my little finger? watch it cos it'll come right back at you

You wouldn't by chance have a few loose screws to play with, or is this your clever 'play on words' day?

Back to topic
Did you just threaten to finger me? At least buy me dinner first.

I quoted Mallory, who started her post with 'I hate to be pedantic'. It had nothing to do with the original post, it was a quote within a thread. Bloody hell.

The only way I'd have loose screws to play with would be if I picked up ones you had dropped ...

Although, good old fashioned barneys with complete strangers over completely unimportant and irrelevant things (since we both live in North America anyway) is another great British tradition. It'd be doubly spectacular if you happened to be French as well

Only if 'makes' was capitalized as well.
I concur. It's a pedant's paradise in here today ...
Old Oct 18th 2013, 2:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oh don't be ridiculous. Nobody hates to be pedantic.
what has that comment got to do with the OP?
As OP means Opening Poster, I guess in the context that you ask either:
  • he (the OP) is pedantic and does not hate it; or
  • he (the OP) is not pedantic because he hates pedanticism, and therefore is nobody.
You decide I guess.
Old Oct 18th 2013, 2:51 pm
I have a comma problem

As OP means Opening Poster, I guess in the context that you ask either:
  • he (the OP) is pedantic and does not hate it; or
  • he (the OP) is not pedantic because he hates pedanticism, and therefore is nobody.
You decide I guess.
Well, since I was referring to the opening words of this post:

Originally Posted by Mallory
I hate to be pedantic, but I think you meant weird and wacky. Whacky is used in the context of hitting something with a hard board.
I have no idea what is going on anymore ...
Old Oct 18th 2013, 2:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

I concur. It's a pedant's paradise in here today ...
So we are agreed then, the title should either be 'What Makes Britain Great?', 'What makes Britain great?', or 'What makes Kingdom united?' (for putting the United before the Kingdom would take away from any play of words, whether they be clever or cliché).

On a side point, I believe that apostrophe should come after the s. You're not doing well with apostrophes today, are you?
Old Oct 18th 2013, 2:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Well, since I was referring to the opening words of this post:

I have no idea what is going on anymore ...
Keep it up, at least you're distracting him from posting links about the crapness of Britain
Old Oct 18th 2013, 2:56 pm
I have a comma problem

So we are agreed then, the title should either be 'What Makes Britain Great?', 'What makes Britain great?', or 'What makes Kingdom united?' (for putting the United before the Kingdom would take away from any play of words, whether they be clever or cliché).
I'll go with the first one. Cliché or no, I got the sentiment behind it.

On a side point, I believe that apostrophe should come after the s. You're not doing well with apostrophes today, are you?
Ah, but since I can only speak for one pedant (i.e. me) I was correct. In a manner of speaking.

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Keep it up, at least you're distracting him from posting links about the crapness of Britain
White dog turds.

Couldn't resist
Old Oct 18th 2013, 2:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
If you're referring to me and another thread, then I have never described Britain as crap - only you have described it as such in that post.
Old Oct 18th 2013, 2:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, but since I can only speak for one pedant (i.e. me) I was correct. In a manner of speaking.

White dog turds.

Couldn't resist
Poo trees.

A pedant's paradise is OK I think. Paradise for a pedant.
Old Oct 18th 2013, 3:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

I personally prefer the second option for title of the thread.
True, it does depend on if you originally meant just yourself or any other pedants. The implication was multiple pedants, the way I read the post.
Old Oct 18th 2013, 3:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

White dog turds.
Oh no, not another one ......
Attached Thumbnails What makes Britain Great?-2hn3jgz.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.