What makes Britain Great?

Old Oct 18th 2013, 1:53 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What makes Britain Great?

Originally Posted by robin1234
I think this is OT. I've noticed that Americans get very exercised about misplaced apostrophes, so you can't claim that misplaced apostrophe pedantry is something that makes Great Britain uniquely great.
the thing about being a Brit (born in Great Britain) is that we as people can do & say or misuse or misplace just about anything & get to laugh about it. That's what makes Britain 'great' - we the people do not need to make excuses or explain ourselves to anyone especially Americans.
Old Oct 18th 2013, 1:55 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing

Also, other things that make the UK great are snooker, chocolate hob nobs, Fox's Classics, BBC2 comedies and cider.
Old Oct 18th 2013, 1:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

The Ruling Classes are so nice.
Old Oct 18th 2013, 1:57 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving

I trump on your pedantry.

Oh yeah, a weird and whacky idea of what constitutes humour is also what makes Britain Great (and makes the United Kingdom United).
I hate to be pedantic, but I think you meant weird and wacky. Whacky is used in the context of hitting something with a hard board.
Old Oct 18th 2013, 1:59 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
Does that include King Salmond and Queen Sturgeon??
Old Oct 18th 2013, 1:59 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
How can any true Brit have any issue with that list of greatness. You must be a secret German

A great bit of Britishness in this post - even when showing your contempt for them, you still capitalised the title. Exemplary ...

Originally Posted by Mallory
I hate to be pedantic, but I think you meant weird and wacky. Whacky is used in the context of hitting something with a hard board.
Oh don't be ridiculous. Nobody hates to be pedantic.
Old Oct 18th 2013, 2:00 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory
Yes, that is exactly what I meant - have you never heard of slapstick humour?
Old Oct 18th 2013, 2:08 pm
Dichotomus tinker

The day will hopefully come soon (the sooner the better) when Scotland separates from the rest of Great Britain - on that day the 'Great' in Britain can no longer be.

I propose & support that Northern Ireland take its independence from Great Britain to join the Republic of Ireland (boy do they need help), then all that shall remain of the 'great' will be the confederation of Wales & England.
Old Oct 18th 2013, 2:11 pm
Dichotomus tinker

Also, other things that make the UK great are snooker, chocolate hob nobs, Fox's Classics, BBC2 comedies and cider.
what is so 'great' about those things that makes Britain (UK) "great"?
Old Oct 18th 2013, 2:12 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

I propose & support that Northern Ireland take its independence from Great Britain to join the Republic of Ireland (boy do they need help), then all that shall remain of the 'great' will be the confederation of Wales & England.
I propose you take that idea and stuff it up your arse.
Old Oct 18th 2013, 2:18 pm
Dichotomus tinker

I propose you take that idea and stuff it up your arse.
A referendum once again - let the people of N.I decide & should they decide to vote to stay part of the Great Britain, I propose Westminster kicks them out. That is my opinion as a Brit from 'Great Britain'

As a mainland big island born Brit I do not want N.I as part of Great Britain, because it is sucking lifes' blood out of all that it 'Great' IMO. Surely N.I has more in common with the Republic & Scotland than it does the sisters & brothers of England IMO

Last edited by not2old; Oct 18th 2013 at 2:21 pm.
Old Oct 18th 2013, 2:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Speaking of pedantry - this thread should be 'What makes the United Kingdom great'. I know it takes away the clever play on words but by saying Great Britain, you're only talking about 75% of the greatness*

based on number of member countries, not actual size before someone attempts to out-pedant me ...
You were doing so well with your pedantry until you described the play on words as 'clever'. The play on words to which you refer is very much categorised as a cliché nowadays.
Old Oct 18th 2013, 2:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

A referendum once again - let the people of N.I decide & should they decide to vote to stay part of the Great Britain, I propose Westminster kicks them out.
Northern Ireland isn't a part of Great Britain anyway, which makes it a bit difficult to kick them out of it.
Old Oct 18th 2013, 2:23 pm
Dichotomus tinker

Oh don't be ridiculous. Nobody hates to be pedantic.
what has that comment got to do with the OP?
Old Oct 18th 2013, 2:24 pm
Dichotomus tinker

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
Northern Ireland isn't a part of Great Britain anyway, which makes it a bit difficult to kick them out of it.

The 'United Kingdom of Great Britain' then

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.