Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

What makes Britain completely crap?

What makes Britain completely crap?

Old Oct 26th 2013, 10:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What makes Britain completely crap?

Originally Posted by nun
Just the creeping contracting out and privatization of services. Lack of funding is resulting in poor services which I fear will be used as an excuse to cut back further on NHS services an have them replaced by private contractors.
I watched a documentary the other month about how parts of some NHS hospitals were being used solely for private patients and how consultants were prioritizing their work by putting fee paying patients first. One sad case involved a pregnant woman losing her baby even though the complications she had should have taken precedence over his other patients.

Demand for service is certainly out pacing funding and creating pressure to an extent where something has got to change.

Footnote: I don't think the NHS is completely crap, far from it.
Old Oct 26th 2013, 11:00 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bud the Wiser
I watched a documentary the other month about how parts of some NHS hospitals were being used solely for private patients and how consultants were prioritizing their work by putting fee paying patients first. One sad case involved a pregnant woman losing her baby even though the complications she had should have taken precedence over his other patients.

Demand for service is certainly out pacing funding and creating pressure to an extent where something has got to change.

Footnote: I don't think the NHS is completely crap, far from it.
Many NHS hospitals have private wings, we certainly did where I worked, We were never asked to prioritise there tests over NHS patients, they were treated exactly the same, although we love to get requests for teats out of hours, because we got extra money for that test, normally tou got paid a certain amount per call out, and that included all tests done in that time, however if one was from the private wing, then we were paid extra, even when we moved to being paid a flat rate for a night on call, we still got the extra for any private work, and all private work, even during normal hours, was billed, the money was originally supposed to be used for the beneft of the staff, but eventually just disappeared into the general coffers.
Old Oct 26th 2013, 10:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Many NHS hospitals have private wings, we certainly did where I worked, We were never asked to prioritise there tests over NHS patients, they were treated exactly the same, although we love to get requests for teats out of hours, because we got extra money for that test, normally tou got paid a certain amount per call out, and that included all tests done in that time, however if one was from the private wing, then we were paid extra, even when we moved to being paid a flat rate for a night on call, we still got the extra for any private work, and all private work, even during normal hours, was billed, the money was originally supposed to be used for the beneft of the staff, but eventually just disappeared into the general coffers.
I didn't know that. I take it they are sub let from the NHS?
Old Oct 27th 2013, 5:52 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bud the Wiser
I didn't know that. I take it they are sub let from the NHS?
No, at our hospital one of the wards which had been closed was refurbished and opened as a private ward, I assume there was some input from one of the health care companies, but it did stop consultants sodding off for a half day to another private clinic, also from their point of view, they had the resources of a complete x-ray dept, laboratory,, physio dept on site. Patients just had to pay.
Old Oct 27th 2013, 7:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
No, at our hospital one of the wards which had been closed was refurbished and opened as a private ward, I assume there was some input from one of the health care companies, but it did stop consultants sodding off for a half day to another private clinic, also from their point of view, they had the resources of a complete x-ray dept, laboratory,, physio dept on site. Patients just had to pay.
Yes, I have often heard of people going into the private wing without having to pay if there is an overspill.
Old Oct 28th 2013, 8:40 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Yes, I have often heard of people going into the private wing without having to pay if there is an overspill.
That's true, in fact some NHS hospitals do that regularly, even with operations like hip replacements, just to keep waiting lists down
Old Oct 28th 2013, 6:57 pm
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by campervanfan
just on that last point- I think the system's pretty generous in terms of Tax Credits for instance, especially if raising children...are you aware of them? or are other countries even more generous?
There is a fine line between receiving help and getting no help. When hubby was an adult apprentice and I had my first baby I was laid off my job. We were just above the threshold to get enough help to make a difference. We earned about £60 per month over the allowed amount. That was 5 years ago now so things may have changed. Luckily I found work quickly.
Old Nov 7th 2013, 2:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

...oooOOO
Attached Thumbnails What makes Britain completely crap?-1001278_577640235642108_839804679_n.jpg  
Old Nov 7th 2013, 2:29 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like an Australian Highway.
Old Nov 7th 2013, 2:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
Looks like an Australian Highway.
The freeways in LA look like that too.
Old Nov 7th 2013, 2:47 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
The freeways in LA look like that too.
It's par for the course for Illinois roads. There's a section of State Highway 137 where I swear there are potholes the size of a small car

It's a rarely used stretch of road though, fewer than 15,000 vehicles per day in one of the busiest areas for traffic in the state!
Old Nov 8th 2013, 9:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

The chewing gum and dogcrap on the pavements. The scumbags who put it there and the councils who won't clean it up.
Old Nov 8th 2013, 10:52 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
It's par for the course for Illinois roads. There's a section of State Highway 137 where I swear there are potholes the size of a small car

It's a rarely used stretch of road though, fewer than 15,000 vehicles per day in one of the busiest areas for traffic in the state!
Yes that describes many Aussie roads, I especially like the ones that just turn into a gravel track with no notice
Old Nov 8th 2013, 12:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by scot47
The chewing gum and dogcrap on the pavements. The scumbags who put it there and the councils who won't clean it up.
Re: The chewing gum. Every town center we visited on a recent return had the pavements and walkways polka dotted with hundreds of remnants of discarded chewing gum.
Old Nov 9th 2013, 8:55 am
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
Yes that describes many Aussie roads, I especially like the ones that just turn into a gravel track with no notice
I remember good roads suddenly turning into gravel, but I must admit that Adelaide roads and pavements are a lot better than roads and pavements where I live now in Britain.

In this hilly town potholes are everywhere, and pavements slope sideways as well as up or down which can be quite debilitating, worsened by poor surfaces. Fortunately I haven't yet experienced ice or snow which would surely cause many broken limbs and joints. No wonder I see so many disability scooters!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.