Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

What makes Britain completely crap?

What makes Britain completely crap?

Old Oct 22nd 2013, 8:58 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What makes Britain completely crap?

Originally Posted by chris955
Poo trees are everywhere, they can in fact be any species of tree and they are adorned with numerous bags of dog poo placed there by lazy dog owners.
Thanks for clarifying! I would be inclined to say it takes more effort to tie said poo bag to the branch of a tree than it is to just put it in the bin.

The "poo trees" in discussion are a lot more hygienic than I had in mind. I had images in my head of chav's squatting high up in trees ready to do their business on any functioning members of society, for example those with jobs
Old Oct 22nd 2013, 9:07 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch
Thanks for clarifying! I would be inclined to say it takes more effort to tie said poo bag to the branch of a tree than it is to just put it in the bin.

The "poo trees" in discussion are a lot more hygienic than I had in mind. I had images in my head of chav's squatting high up in trees ready to do their business on any functioning members of society, for example those with jobs
They don't tie them, they just throw them up - they are usually way up in the tops of the trees.

Local initiative involves spray-painting poo piles that haven't been picked up, to "raise awareness" of the problem. 76 piles of poo around the children's play area. Disgusting, lazy people give responsible dog-owners a bad name.
Old Oct 22nd 2013, 9:33 am
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

People constantly moaning! It is really a downside to living here. We never appreciate what we have when we really don't know how lucky we are.

Sick of people moaning about the wet already. We have had a gorgeous long hot summer and it's been drizzly for a few days. OMG people, stop it!

We are lucky we don't have to deal with mud slides, hurricanes, major earthquakes, Tsunami's, volcanoes, wild fires, etc, etc....
Old Oct 22nd 2013, 9:34 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch

I have no first hand experience of these poo trees to be honest but others seemingly have to regularly dodge them on a daily basis.
Old Oct 22nd 2013, 9:39 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

I have no first hand experience of these poo trees to be honest but others seemingly have to regularly dodge them on a daily basis.
Never seen any either. There's very little dog poo on the pavements round here, maybe it's all the wet weather that flushes it away..
Old Oct 22nd 2013, 11:30 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Never seen any either. There's very little dog poo on the pavements round here, maybe it's all the wet weather that flushes it away..
I cant see the dog poo for the litter and burnt out cars to be honest
Old Oct 22nd 2013, 11:32 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

I cant see the dog poo for the litter and burnt out cars to be honest
True, round here they are the only road obstacles, forget driving them to an isolated area and torching them, just leave them on the nearest car park.
Old Oct 22nd 2013, 11:43 am
Banned

Originally Posted by mikelincs
True, round here they are the only road obstacles, forget driving them to an isolated area and torching them, just leave them on the nearest car park.
You're lucky, around here people are too poor to be able to burn cars.
Old Oct 22nd 2013, 12:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I hear they throw the bags into the trees. It's the only form of physical exercise people do there, apart from signing on.
The lazy don't 'sign on' as that would entail them going to the job centre and also being put on the work programmes. The lazy just live off their childrens welfare money - much less effort.

Last edited by formula; Oct 22nd 2013 at 12:24 pm.
Old Oct 22nd 2013, 12:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Local initiative involves spray-painting poo piles that haven't been picked up, to "raise awareness" of the problem.
Or DNA?
a council in Lancashire became the first in the UK to look at using dog DNA to punish owners for the messy problem.
http://www.thisiskent.co.uk/Parish-c...ail/story.html

£1,000 fine for not picking up your dog's mess.
http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/95...er_their_pets/

Last edited by formula; Oct 22nd 2013 at 12:29 pm.
Old Oct 22nd 2013, 12:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by formula
The lazy just live off their childrens welfare money - much less effort.
Waiting for chris to spin this into something positive..
Old Oct 22nd 2013, 4:30 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Obviously - chavs, pikeys and white dog turds.

Less flippantly... litter was always actually quite bad, I remember that before I left because I'd walk around a lot. Not that there isn't any litter in the US, but the whole 'adopt a highway' scheme at least means there are people out with their orange bags, picking it up.

But I remember even just walking around town there was a lot of litter by the side of the road, or on the beach. Old manky beer cans, crisp bags, car parts, nappies, the ubiquitous shopping trolley. I even saw a rubber johnny or two

So, litter made my corner of the UK crap. Well, that and the rise of Irish republicanism of course.
Old Oct 22nd 2013, 4:57 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Obviously - chavs, pikeys and white dog turds.

Less flippantly... litter was always actually quite bad, I remember that before I left because I'd walk around a lot. Not that there isn't any litter in the US, but the whole 'adopt a highway' scheme at least means there are people out with their orange bags, picking it up.

But I remember even just walking around town there was a lot of litter by the side of the road, or on the beach. Old manky beer cans, crisp bags, car parts, nappies, the ubiquitous shopping trolley. I even saw a rubber johnny or two

So, litter made my corner of the UK crap. Well, that and the rise of Irish republicanism of course.
I used to see a lot of litter in rural TN and NC as I rode my bike around the countryside - although I didn't see much fly-tipping, like I see here (fridges and bags of rubbish). I think overall it was much worse than the rural litter I see here in the UK. In the US, it seemed almost like most people would wind down the window and throw their litter out of the car window,, rather than take it home and put it in the bin.
Old Oct 22nd 2013, 5:01 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
I used to see a lot of litter in rural TN and NC as I rode my bike around the countryside - although I didn't see much fly-tipping, like I see here (fridges and bags of rubbish). I think overall it was much worse than the rural litter I see here in the UK. In the US, it seemed almost like most people would wind down the window and throw their litter out of the car window,, rather than take it home and put it in the bin.
I haven't lived in a rural area here or there. I was comparing urban to suburban, so that might have something to do with it as well.
Old Oct 22nd 2013, 6:22 pm
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I haven't lived in a rural area here or there. I was comparing urban to suburban, so that might have something to do with it as well.
Yes, I find the opposite to be true in urban/suburban areas - in the US, towns seem to be almost immaculately manicured whereas here, there is more litter on the streets and general upkeep seems to be limited. In the US, rural areas seemed to be more run-down, especially in terms of litter. As you say, there is the Adopt a Highway scheme in the US which helps. We (bike club) used to keep a 2-mile stretch free of litter, that was part of our Tuesday night ride route.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.