What was the final straw for you?

Old Nov 8th 2006, 10:37 pm

ShozInOz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What was the final straw for you?

Originally Posted by TraceyW
LOL!! Totally agree. There is no soul. No heart to this place. We are going over East as soon as I've finished uni. I will go completely ga-ga if I stay here for ever. After all, there's only so much 'laid back' I can do!
There is a fine line between laid back and comatose, and a point at which people ought to think "Am I really living?".
Old Nov 8th 2006, 10:50 pm
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

I went back to the UK in July for a month and I really felt like I'd buried the ghost of going home. I couldn't wait to get back to Oz. The first month or so back here were great. It was good to be back with hubby and in my house again. But as the months have rolled on I am getting all those feelings again of "is this it? Is this my lot in life?". We have decided to go over to Brisbane on a rekkie next year, if we like it, we'll move over. If we don't it's back to Blighty for us. Hubby is desperately hoping I like Brisbane. He really doesn't want to go home. Time will tell.
Old Nov 8th 2006, 10:51 pm
beam me up scotty

toandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond repute

LOL!! Totally agree. There is no soul. No heart to this place. We are going over East as soon as I've finished uni. I will go completely ga-ga if I stay here for ever. After all, there's only so much 'laid back' I can do!
I hate to tell you this but it's no better over here the differece between UK and Aust. is that in UK 5miles is a world of difference here 5000miles makes no difference at all.
Old Nov 8th 2006, 10:57 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by toandfro
I hate to tell you this but it's no better over here the differece between UK and Aust. is that in UK 5miles is a world of difference here 5000miles makes no difference at all.
Oh heck! I was hoping that having The Gold Coast, Surfers Parasite, rainforests and mountains may help me a bit.
Old Nov 8th 2006, 11:11 pm
beam me up scotty

toandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond repute

Oh heck! I was hoping that having The Gold Coast, Surfers Parasite, rainforests and mountains may help me a bit.
surfers parsite is right ,scenery only helps till the novilty wears off then the ache in your heart starts again. it is true home is where the heart is and if it's not home it's not home
Old Nov 8th 2006, 11:25 pm
playing the angel

tinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond repute

just read the whole thread, and i'm now definitely keeping my house in the uk.
we've only been here 2 months, and i must admit, we have settled really well. both working, living in a nice area, kids settled......but............i just don't get this overwhelming desire to make this my permanent home.
i want to experience everything i can, but i know deep down, that one day i will go "home".....and i agree, that home is where your heart is.

there is nothing here that i dislike, we have friends, enjoy ourselves when we have days off, but i just have a feeling deep down, that this is not going to be forever.
Old Nov 8th 2006, 11:33 pm
beam me up scotty

Originally Posted by tinkerbell
we've only been here 2 months, and i must admit, we have settled really well. both working, living in a nice area, kids settled......but............i just don't get this overwhelming desire to make this my permanent home.
i want to experience everything i can, but i know deep down, that one day i will go "home".....and i agree, that home is where your heart is.

there is nothing here that i dislike, we have friends, enjoy ourselves when we have days off, but i just have a feeling deep down, that this is not going to be forever.
it's a good Idea to keep your UK property if you can . we sold ours and now we regret it deeply and buying here just compounds the problem .It took us a long time to realise that this wasn't going to be for ever ....Twice!!!
Old Nov 8th 2006, 11:40 pm
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

Keep it, keep it and keep it again!!

We sold up and have lost loadsamoney.
Old Nov 8th 2006, 11:45 pm
Account Closed

We've been very lucky on house sales and purchases. We've doubled our money since being here. Perth property market has worked well for us.
Let's just hope it doesn't crash in the next two years!

I still reckon that the decision to go home is harder than the decision to come here. Every single day I wonder what should we do? As the years roll on our kids are getting more Ozziefied, my hubby gets more settled and I get more confused!

My hubby still thinks of the UK like this: immigrants, crime, filth, rain, rain,rain, frosts, expensive, box like houses, more rain, grey, and crap. Can't you just tell he loves his homeland!
Old Nov 8th 2006, 11:48 pm
playing the angel

tinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LouiseD
Keep it, keep it and keep it again!!

We sold up and have lost loadsamoney.
thanks,

the only reason we didn't sell, was because we were in a fortunate position and didn't need the cash to come over, and i didn't have the nerve to cut all my ties.

i love my house, spent a lot of money on it, renovating and extending it, and i know that if i sold it now, and then wanted to buy it again, i wouldn't be able to afford it. I would hate to move back, see my home, and know that i would never be able to afford to live there.

i know some people think i might not be committed to making
oz work, but i'm protecting my interests further down the line. i get comfort from knowing that my home is there, if and when i'm ready to go home.
Old Nov 8th 2006, 11:51 pm
Account Closed

thanks,

the only reason we didn't sell, was because we were in a fortunate position and didn't need the cash to come over, and i didn't have the nerve to cut all my ties.

i love my house, spent a lot of money on it, renovating and extending it, and i know that if i sold it now, and then wanted to buy it again, i wouldn't be able to afford it. I would hate to move back, see my home, and know that i would never be able to afford to live there.

oz work, but i'm protecting my interests further down the line. i get comfort from knowing that my home is there, if and when i'm ready to go home.
You sensible lady you!
Old Nov 8th 2006, 11:54 pm
playing the angel

You sensible lady you!
somone needs to be sensible in our house
Old Nov 8th 2006, 11:55 pm
beam me up scotty

thanks,

as some one posted earlier keep it keep it
Old Nov 8th 2006, 11:55 pm
FPM
Banned

Location: knuckle dragging, cultureless, boring, dingo oblivion
FPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond repute

My hubby still thinks of the UK like this: immigrants, crime, filth, rain, rain,rain, frosts, expensive, box like houses, more rain, grey, and crap. Can't you just tell he loves his homeland!
That's easy enough countered with things here: Immigrants (they are here as well he is one of them), crime ( that's everywhere as well look up the figures on violent crime per capita,), filth (yeah not as much litter here, but waaay more grafitti than I have ever seen in the UK) rain, rain, rain, (sun, sun, sun and at least the rain is useful!) Frosts (sunburn) expensive (really, look again at how expensive things are here), box like house (McMansions with no soul) grey and crap (bright and boring).

Above all tell him to stop reading the F___ing Daily Mail

Last edited by FPM; Nov 8th 2006 at 11:57 pm.
Old Nov 8th 2006, 11:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

by the sea side is a jewel in the roughby the sea side is a jewel in the roughby the sea side is a jewel in the roughby the sea side is a jewel in the rough

So laid back their almost asleep.Not to take your money of course, but to give service when they have got it wrong most definetley.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.