What was the final straw for you?

Old Oct 23rd 2006, 11:50 am
Forum Regular

gasdoctor is a glorious beacon of lightgasdoctor is a glorious beacon of lightgasdoctor is a glorious beacon of lightgasdoctor is a glorious beacon of lightgasdoctor is a glorious beacon of lightgasdoctor is a glorious beacon of lightgasdoctor is a glorious beacon of lightgasdoctor is a glorious beacon of lightgasdoctor is a glorious beacon of lightgasdoctor is a glorious beacon of lightgasdoctor is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: What was the final straw for you?

Originally Posted by Eastbound
Hi
Sorry I dont know you but what a heart felt post please have the courage to at least let hubby know what your thinking we only have one life and youve got to be happy who knows hubby may be feeling the same way at least if you let him know he'll be in the picture best of luck with whatever you decide

Final straw for me was that after doing a 40hr week we were still struggling with finances and again thought wether to cut out the broadband or cable. dont get me wrong but we dont go ou, no holidays, no family a crashed up car worth 300 dols now we looking to cut back further, I am tradesman for christ sake and meant to be in demand here. we came for a better life and frankly its a nitemare. too tired to fight on
Old Oct 24th 2006, 12:10 am
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

At the moment, I'm not at the final straw stage. I started taking St Johns Wort the other week and that's masking a lot of the feelings, and hopefully giving me some motivation to try and do the things that other people tell me I should do: make new friends, try new hobbies, get out and enjoy the big open spaces more, integrate myself into the Australian culture, stop calling England home, start thinking Australia's the best thing since sliced bread.

Can't help thinking that I'll still think Australia isn't for me, but at least I don't cry all the time about it.

OH is talking about the possibility of us moving to Hong Kong (with his job) so there is light at the end of this long, miserable tunnel.
Old Oct 24th 2006, 1:24 pm
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point

The pull of home is mainly people for me. Though I have never really settled here i've got out there and made friends seen a bit of the place, changed jobs to try and find reasonable hours and conditions (unsuccessfully), none of it has made any difference to the way i feel and that empty unconnected feeling. Intellectualy there have been times when i think things are better here for my daughter but emotionally i dont believe anything here can compensate for the sense of belonging she can only get from family and lifelong friends.
Old Oct 24th 2006, 2:01 pm
Forum Regular

gasdoctor is a glorious beacon of lightgasdoctor is a glorious beacon of lightgasdoctor is a glorious beacon of lightgasdoctor is a glorious beacon of lightgasdoctor is a glorious beacon of lightgasdoctor is a glorious beacon of lightgasdoctor is a glorious beacon of lightgasdoctor is a glorious beacon of lightgasdoctor is a glorious beacon of lightgasdoctor is a glorious beacon of lightgasdoctor is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by mcmercer
The pull of home is mainly people for me. Though I have never really settled here i've got out there and made friends seen a bit of the place, changed jobs to try and find reasonable hours and conditions (unsuccessfully), none of it has made any difference to the way i feel and that empty unconnected feeling. Intellectualy there have been times when i think things are better here for my daughter but emotionally i dont believe anything here can compensate for the sense of belonging she can only get from family and lifelong friends.

My 9yr old son wont show himself on my webcam when his nan or cousins are online, I thought it was because he felt silly being on a cam, turns out he cant face seeing them as his stiff upper lip could quivver and he would get upset in front of me and them. Also his cousins were taken for a long weekend in eurodisney, simple things like that he missing out on with family. Only live once and gotta be happy and for us thats the uk. glad we can say we lived in Oz glad we have the choice and sense to go home
Old Oct 24th 2006, 2:32 pm
long live thefinest range

Location: Higham Ferrers, Northants to Spokane Washington and back again!!
Hayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond repute

Had a bit of a final straw moment this weekend when my US taxi driver asked if it had taken me long to learn the language. :scared:
Old Oct 24th 2006, 9:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

by the sea side is a jewel in the roughby the sea side is a jewel in the roughby the sea side is a jewel in the roughby the sea side is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Hayley
Had a bit of a final straw moment this weekend when my US taxi driver asked if it had taken me long to learn the language. :scared:
OMG that's scary.
Old Oct 24th 2006, 10:24 pm

Hayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by by the sea side
OMG that's scary.
I know- had to say not long at all.
to which his reply was- what language do you speak in england?
I wasn't v. nice I'm afraid- sarcastically said, "what language do you think we speak in ENGland? ENGlish!!"
He looked miffed.
Old Oct 24th 2006, 10:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

by the sea side is a jewel in the roughby the sea side is a jewel in the roughby the sea side is a jewel in the roughby the sea side is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Hayley
I know- had to say not long at all.
to which his reply was- what language do you speak in england?
I wasn't v. nice I'm afraid- sarcastically said, "what language do you think we speak in ENGland? ENGlish!!"
He looked miffed.
So this guy wasn't the sharpest knife in the draw.I hope everyone isn't like that!
Old Oct 24th 2006, 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by by the sea side
So this guy wasn't the sharpest knife in the draw.I hope everyone isn't like that!
of course not but with all due respect I can see the most chavy, uneducated Brit would maybe ask an American a stupid question like," did you ever see anyone get shot?" but I can't see them being as clueless as to ask an American what language they spoke!
Old Oct 24th 2006, 11:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

Have you been to Hong Kong? Its a dump.

Originally Posted by chels
At the moment, I'm not at the final straw stage. I started taking St Johns Wort the other week and that's masking a lot of the feelings, and hopefully giving me some motivation to try and do the things that other people tell me I should do: make new friends, try new hobbies, get out and enjoy the big open spaces more, integrate myself into the Australian culture, stop calling England home, start thinking Australia's the best thing since sliced bread.

Can't help thinking that I'll still think Australia isn't for me, but at least I don't cry all the time about it.

OH is talking about the possibility of us moving to Hong Kong (with his job) so there is light at the end of this long, miserable tunnel.
Old Oct 25th 2006, 12:23 am
Forum Regular

TheVickers is a splendid one to beholdTheVickers is a splendid one to beholdTheVickers is a splendid one to beholdTheVickers is a splendid one to beholdTheVickers is a splendid one to beholdTheVickers is a splendid one to beholdTheVickers is a splendid one to beholdTheVickers is a splendid one to beholdTheVickers is a splendid one to beholdTheVickers is a splendid one to beholdTheVickers is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by gasdoctor
My 9yr old son wont show himself on my webcam when his nan or cousins are online, I thought it was because he felt silly being on a cam, turns out he cant face seeing them as his stiff upper lip could quivver and he would get upset in front of me and them. Also his cousins were taken for a long weekend in eurodisney, simple things like that he missing out on with family. Only live once and gotta be happy and for us thats the uk. glad we can say we lived in Oz glad we have the choice and sense to go home
god, thats heartbreaking! If we go home I'm glad I will be able to stand up and say we tried that in years to come we won't have any "what ifs"

We came to Canada for a better upbringing for our child but what kind of upbringing will it be without having grandparents to spoil you and cousins to play with.....its been really hard for me taking her away from her nan's and grandad...only time will tell I guess.

Jo x
Old Oct 25th 2006, 2:09 am
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mercedes
Have you been to Hong Kong? Its a dump.
Yes, have been to Hong Kong. But thanks anyway for the positive comment.
Old Oct 25th 2006, 5:12 am
BE Enthusiast

[QUOTE=Hayley]of course not but with all due respect I can see the most chavy, uneducated Brit would maybe ask an American a stupid question like," did you ever see anyone get shot?" but I can't see them being as clueless as to ask an American what language they spoke![/QUOTe Yes I don't think a chav would have been that clueless.Chavs are really one of a kind.They were one of the things I didn't like about Britain.
Old Oct 25th 2006, 7:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Dreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RooksieJ
when i realised i was crying every day i went straight to travel agent and booked flights home and immediately felt better. however i really must confess that i was in the early stages of pregnancy and my hormones were crazy mothers. that said, my heart is here in torquay for sure and this is where im staying. also, our eldest daughter was stressed so badly that she was itching her arms red raw that really did do it for me. enough is enough and back we came
Hi Rooksie I have just been browsing through the posts and I think I may have missed something ! Duh! on my part.
Very interesting to see you are back home.
As I can recall you left almost the same time as me.You left before me I think. I was the one who was stressing over the house sale on hindsite it was an omen not to go.Should have followed my intuition but you know what its like.Got to try it as you will always be thinking what if.,etc.
Now don't get me wrong I also noticed that you were in Caloundra we went there a few weeks ago and I have to say I was not impressed at all.
I think you just know that its not right some know straight away others take considerably longer.
Where I am is beautiful it really is but I have made my mind up and we too are coming home.
I wish I had never sold my home but I did.
At the end of the day it has been a real eye opener and I have learnt an awful lot about myself.
Just hope I do not regret it when we move back I think that could be awful.
Anyway glad to hear that you are settled now and have a little one.
I have realised that the village I used to live in has everything I want for my children and know that we can make a go of it.Makes you realise that the UK is not all bad and that's probably why there are so many people living there.

Last edited by Dreamaway 10; Oct 25th 2006 at 8:10 am.
Old Oct 25th 2006, 8:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chels
Yes, have been to Hong Kong. But thanks anyway for the positive comment.
Well I thought if you were depressed in Sydney, you might even be moreso in Hong Kong and more isolated. I was surprised how many people didn't speak English, thinking there may have been more since it had been under the British for a while. I can still remember trying to do charades for buying a packet of laxatives. I preferred Singapore, or maybe Dubai?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.