What to do. When to do it

Old Mar 19th 2014, 3:44 am
Just Joined

selection is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What to do. When to do it

Hey guys,

long time lurker, first time to submit anything here.

I am thinking of going back. Well, it's a long story.

I moved to the UK when I was in my early 20's, typical Australian guy - from a typical Australian suburb, I had no idea what I was getting into. I met so many great people in London, having the usual adventures. I had a girl, lost a girl, met a girl. I worked hard, had too many visas to count on one hand just to stay as long as I could - I loved it, hated my job.

My partner is British. I have ILR (pr) and we moved to Perth recently, Recently being almost two years. We have put in a huge effort to make the most of it. I am not from Perth so it's all new to me also. I got engaged after 6 years and now my partner is pregnant. It's early on but no doubt it is happening.

We feel very isolated here, I am in my early 30s she is late 20s. We can't really seem to fall into line with everyone else. I have a very hard time because I don't really identify with Australians, I feel more British than Australian. I grew up as an adult in the UK.

I guess we always knew we would go back but now is crunch time. We are running out of time, Sept is the due date and we have to make a move. I am wondering, trying to find out what to do, how to do it and if I even should.

Have a baby here then apply for passport and visa etc, or move back to the UK before it starts. I will need to find a job but I don't expect that to be too hard. The UK has family (even some of mine), friends, support and familiarity. What it doesn't have is a job for me, our own place or the easy going lifestyle (that I seem to resent).

So it's up to me, stay here and push back our dates another year or leave before Aug with no guarantees. We both a resolute on moving back at some point. I would be giving up an easy but ultimately mediocre job with no prospects apart from easy money, money spent quickly (looking at you Perth). We have a nice apartment in the City.

I don't know if this is the place to discuss this.. I cannot mention it to anyone as everything is currently hush hush. My family a split, some of my friends are likely to ask me if I am crazy. I haven't thought about everything yet as this is just occurring to me this week.

I'd love to hear your thoughts, criticisms etc.
Old Mar 19th 2014, 4:06 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What to do. When to do it

I have sent you a PM which you might not be able to read or reply to unless you have sent another couple of messages to bring your message total up to 3.

Don't ask me, I don't make the rules on this site !

Damn, I've broken radio silence to make this reply.

Last edited by Snap Shot; Mar 19th 2014 at 4:07 am. Reason: gone back under the radar
Old Mar 19th 2014, 4:09 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

You can send the OP a BE email which will hit the email address they registered to BE with.

Click the name of the poster to the top left of their post and a drop down menu appears. Select 'send email'.

They will be able to read your message that way. They can also read a PM message via the email they used to register to BE with.

So, no need for you to 'break cover' . Just carry on regardless .

The 3 post rule is to help deter spammers from joining and then annoying the heck out of users with unwanted messages.

Last edited by BEVS; Mar 19th 2014 at 4:16 am. Reason: add a bit about how to read messages.
Old Mar 19th 2014, 4:10 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Got it now ?

Don't get excited, it's not that interesting !
Old Mar 19th 2014, 4:28 am
`

Originally Posted by selection
Hey guys,

long time lurker, first time to submit anything here.

I am thinking of going back. Well, it's a long story.

I moved to the UK when I was in my early 20's, typical Australian guy - from a typical Australian suburb, I had no idea what I was getting into. I met so many great people in London, having the usual adventures. I had a girl, lost a girl, met a girl. I worked hard, had too many visas to count on one hand just to stay as long as I could - I loved it, hated my job.

My partner is British. I have ILR (pr) and we moved to Perth recently, Recently being almost two years. We have put in a huge effort to make the most of it. I am not from Perth so it's all new to me also. I got engaged after 6 years and now my partner is pregnant. It's early on but no doubt it is happening.

We feel very isolated here, I am in my early 30s she is late 20s. We can't really seem to fall into line with everyone else. I have a very hard time because I don't really identify with Australians, I feel more British than Australian. I grew up as an adult in the UK.

I guess we always knew we would go back but now is crunch time. We are running out of time, Sept is the due date and we have to make a move. I am wondering, trying to find out what to do, how to do it and if I even should.

Have a baby here then apply for passport and visa etc, or move back to the UK before it starts. I will need to find a job but I don't expect that to be too hard. The UK has family (even some of mine), friends, support and familiarity. What it doesn't have is a job for me, our own place or the easy going lifestyle (that I seem to resent).

So it's up to me, stay here and push back our dates another year or leave before Aug with no guarantees. We both a resolute on moving back at some point. I would be giving up an easy but ultimately mediocre job with no prospects apart from easy money, money spent quickly (looking at you Perth). We have a nice apartment in the City.

I don't know if this is the place to discuss this.. I cannot mention it to anyone as everything is currently hush hush. My family a split, some of my friends are likely to ask me if I am crazy. I haven't thought about everything yet as this is just occurring to me this week.

I'd love to hear your thoughts, criticisms etc.
Hi and welcome to BE selection.

It is indeed that right place to chat with others about this. You'll find many around the globe with the same push me , pull you feelings and the same concerns about making a UK return.

I um and ah about this myself.

Anyway, welcome and hopefully others will be along soon . Some will have made the move . Some will be in the throes and some just tentatively starting out.

All the best.
Old Mar 19th 2014, 4:38 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
Got it now ?

Don't get excited, it's not that interesting !
Thanks yes and apologies BEVS. I understand the reasoning.

I appreciate your comments and the email, I think my worries are mostly can I get a job quickly enough and can I support my family properly vs can I live with staying here another year and potentially longer.

With very little to no support as neither of us have family in this part of the country/world. The question in my mind are 'am I stupid to give up well paid employment to move to the UK which is still not out of the red in terms of economy?'

We recently went back for a month and although there were times that we felt 'homesick' for Australia, they were few and far between. I loved every moment of it, including the rain haha. as soon as I stepped off the Heathrow express I felt like I was finally happy.

Have a baby here or go now and have it there.. we are going back anyway so why make it harder (visas and passports etc). It's hard to consider.
Old Mar 19th 2014, 4:51 am
Forum Regular

Downton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

It seems to me that you want to go back, and all the reasons you mention sound like very important ones. Staying in a place you don't really feel at home in just for a job seems like a bad idea. And I don't know the legalities involved, but I would think going back and having your child be born in the UK seems like the best thing to do in many ways.

I think you know what you want to do and what's the best choice. It sounds to me like you'll be very happy if you two go back now. You'll have everything that's important to you.

Just my opinion. Good luck with whatever you do.
Old Mar 19th 2014, 4:53 am
`

I know. The job prospects thing is such a big issue. I hear bad stuff and then I hear good, stable stiff on the job front. I think it may depend what line you are in.
Civil servants & local councils seem to be having bad times right now. But I hear that things may be looking up for tradesmen.

Two things hold me back. My very old pusscat and job prospects. Otherwise I'd have tried an extended return to see how I got on with it before committing.

You may have to wait for some of the Moving Back To the UK lot to climb out of their beds.

Meanwhile , you have a good old browse around and read. It's surprising what you find by way of like minded people.

Here is an enjoyable thread to while away the time.
Old Mar 19th 2014, 5:26 am
Just Joined

Job prospects are the main thing, plus I guess quality of life in general (for a young child). We can always come back though - My partner has her PR (Subclass 801) so we do not have any legal/immigration issues to think about. I recently returned to the UK and tested the waters with some contract roles, the feedback was very good and that has given be a bit of a push to return.

The money I can potentially earn is fairly good. I have been checking the immigration rules and I think it would be better for all if the child was born in the UK, it would have citizenship right away. It seems generally easy to apply for Australian citizenship later down the road, rather than go through all the hoops trying to get back into the UK, although I am a pretty good hoop jumper these days.

Thanks for all the input so far, I feel like it's the right thing to do but we will continue to discuss it over the weekend and maybe make a decision then.
Old Mar 19th 2014, 8:47 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Just ensure your ILR doesn't run out before you make the decision as returning to the UK would then be so much harder. Your best bet might be to get back here before the baby is born, stay long enough to get your Brit citizenship and then you have so much more in the way of choices.
Old Mar 25th 2014, 2:49 am
Just Joined

So, It is decided. We will go back ASAP. Started figuring out the logistics and making the plans. Looking forward to getting back to it.. at least for the next 5-10 years.

Thanks guys.