Welcome to the 3 Borders Country !

Old Nov 2nd 2013, 3:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

victorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Welcome to the 3 Borders Country !

I wish you all a great week-end

Karim
Old Nov 2nd 2013, 4:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Welcome to the 3 Borders Country !

Beautiful photos Karim, such a clean place too, thanks for sharing
Old Nov 2nd 2013, 4:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, beautiful pictures of a place with a fascinating history. The shops look so sweet too
Old Nov 7th 2013, 6:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute

fantastic pictures Karim I did not have time to read all the post but will do soon ! thanks for sharing
Old Nov 11th 2013, 4:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

victorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you so much for your kind comments

Karim
Old Nov 11th 2013, 4:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Welcome to the City of Trier !

WOW ! I must admit that I am not usually short of vocabulary in French and also English after spending the past 20 years living abroad, but the interjection WOW is not the first thing to come to my mind usually, except for the City of Trier...

If Metz was only a name on a map to me until I discovered this beautiful town, the City of Trier was even more obscure bringing back distant memories of History & Geography lessons at school et a few references in some of the books I read about the 16th century in recent years.

Beautiful encounters are often the result of coincidence and this is my Friend Diane who, knowing how much I enjoy travelling and discovering the architecture and history of places - both the History with a capital H and the anecdotes that often go with it - first suggested to me a visit of the historic town of Sarrebruck which I will soon present to you in my Christmas Markets Special, and the City of Trier, both located in Germany.

And it is finally on October 24th, that I decided to go to Trier, while enjoying one of the last beautiful Autumn days with an average temperature of 19° celcius.

I mainly travel by train which is rather cheap here in a region at the crossing of 3 if not 4 countries, and which put destinations such as Metz, Nancy, Luxembourg City or Sarrebruck for a little less than a 20 Euros return train ticket. So this is by train that I travelled to Trier via Sarrebruck and I must say that the journey by train is one of the most visually beautiful and scenic that I ever made as the train makes its way winding along the German part of the river Moselle and its magnificent valley featuring woods and as the train approaches Trier, vineyards on steep slopes which overlook the Rhénanie Palatinat most famous City and make the whole region the Riesling wine paradise with great wines such as the Brauneberger Juffer Sonnenuhr ou le Erderner Prälat. A wonderful display of unspoiled natural beauty for the hour that takes the train journey to Trier.

From the train station or "Haupt Bahnhof" I walked along the boulevard Théodore Heuss lined with late 19th early 20th century building where nothing prepare us for the wonders of a city, yet so close.

Ariived in front of the Porta Nigra, as imposing as mysterious partly due to its dominant black colour, remain of the Roman era, my attention got caught by colorful sculptures of éléphants, already spotted in Luxembourg City and which are part of the Elephant Parade association which helps and protects the Asian éléphants, exhibited in two lines in front of the Tourist Office where I took a map of the City.

And as I walked down Simeon Strasse which leads to the historic heart of the city, I noticed a few beautiful buildings painted in delicate pastel colours with ornate embellishments, and lost in my photography, I did not yet realise that I was just a few meters away of a vision of architectural beauty like I had not seen in years, although years filled with a few amazing discoveries.

Pretty front walls, a great selection of boutiques, of course tourists, and suddenly the sublime silhouette of the architectural ensemble of the Hauptmarkt Platz or Grand Market Place which arises in all its splendour, a vision of absolute beauty !

Later on, while sitting at a terrace enjoying a pint of beer, I looked at a postcard which said above a picture of the Hauptmarkt Platz "Trier Deutschlands älteste und schönste stadt", "Trier, Germany's oldest and prettiest town", and in my own humble opinion, it most certainly is.

It is its history and the pictures of my day in this extraordinary City that I invite you to discover in the presentation to follow ...

Welcome to the City of Trier !

Karim

Last edited by victorian67; Nov 11th 2013 at 6:30 pm.
Old Nov 15th 2013, 5:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Welcome to Trier !

Trier on the Map ( Trèves in French )

City Map of Trier

View of the sublime Hauptmarkt Platz

View of the Hauptmarkt Platz with its enchanting Christmas Market

Karim

Last edited by victorian67; Nov 15th 2013 at 5:45 am.
Old Nov 15th 2013, 5:16 am
BE Enthusiast

A little History...

Trier, the Northern Rome

More than 2000 years old, this Roman colony was founded by the Emperor August in the year 17 before Jesus Christ, Under the name of Augusta Treverorum. Trier is Germany's oldest city. The stone Roman bridge that spreads accross the Moselle river was built in 45 after JC to replace the existing wooden bridge and is Germany's oldest standing bridge today. Roman colony and a very important stronghold place in the defense against the Barbarians, Trier had the largest urban surface from the Gaul area with 282 acres. From the Roman period remains the monumental Porta Nigra which is one of Trier's most iconic symbols.

A great and busy market metropole from the second century after JC onwars, becoming one of the capitals of the Roman Tetrachy at the end of the third century with its own Imperial mint recognized throughout the Empire from 294, Trier was then called the "second Rome" or " Roma Secunda".

The Porta Nigra

Karim
Old Nov 15th 2013, 5:17 am
BE Enthusiast

From the Roman Empire to the Middle Ages

Roman Trier had been subjected to attacks by Germanic tribes from 350 onwards, but these had been repulsed by Emperor Julian. After the invasions of 407 the Romans were able to reestablish the Rhine frontier and hold northern Gaul tenuously until the end of the 450s, when control was finally lost to the Franks and local military commanders who claimed to represent central Roman authority. During this period Trier was captured by the Franks in 413, as well as by the Huns under Attila in 451. The city became definitively part of Frankish territory (Francia Rhinensis) in 475. As a result of the conflicts of this period, Trier's population decreased from an estimated 80,000 in the 4th century to 5,000 at the beginning of the 6th century.

By the end of the 5th century, Trier was under Frankish rule, first controlled by the Merovingian dynasty, then by the Carolingians. The city still maintained a small group of romance speaking inhabitants in the early 8th century. As a result of the Treaty of Verdun in 843, by which the grandsons of Charlemagne divided his empire into three parts, Trier was incorporated into the Kingdom of Lorraine (Lotharingia). After the death of Lothair II, ruler of Lorraine, Trier in 870 became part of the East Frankish Empire, later called Germany, under Henry I.

Map of Charlemagne's Empire after the division amongst his 3 sons

Karim
Old Nov 15th 2013, 5:18 am
BE Enthusiast

The City of Trier in the Middle Ages

From 902, when power passed into the hands of the archbishops, Trier was administered by the Vogt of the archbishopric, which developed its own seal in 1149. The Archbishop of Trier was, as chancellor of Burgundy, one of the seven Electors of the Holy Roman Empire, a right which originated in the 12th or 13th century, and which continued until the French Revolution. From the 10th century and throughout the Middle Ages, Trier made several attempts to achieve autonomy from the Archbishopric of Trier, but was ultimately unsuccessful. In 1212, the city received a charter from Emperor Otto IV, which was confirmed by Conrad IV. In 1309, however, it was forced to once again recognise the authority of the Archbishop, who was at that time the imposing Baldwin of Luxembourg, son of the Count of Luxemburg.

Elected in 1307 when he was only 22 years old, Baldwin was the most important Archbishop and Prince-Elector of Trier in the Middle Ages. He was the brother of the German King and Emperor Henry VII and his grandnephew Charles would later become German King and Emperor as Charles IV. He used his family connections to add considerable territories to the Electorate of Trier and is also known to have built many castles in the region. When he died in 1354, Trier was a prospering city

Baldwin of Luxembourg

Karim
Old Nov 15th 2013, 5:22 am
BE Enthusiast

From the Middle Ages to Modern Times

The status of Trier as an archbishopric city was confirmed in 1364 by Emperor Charles IV and by the Reichskammergericht; the city's dream of self-rule came definitively to an end in 1583. Until the demise of the old empire, Trier remained the capital of the electoral Archbishopric of Trier, although not the residence of its head of state, the Prince-Elector.

The Dombering (curtain wall of the Cathedral) having been secured at the end of the 10th century, Archbishop Theoderich I and his successor Arnold II later set about surrounding the city by walls.This curtain wall, which followed the path now taken by the Alleenring, enclosed 1.38 square kilometres.

Trier's Cathédrale Saint Pierre

In 1473, Emperor Frederick III and Charles the Bold, Duke of Burgundy convened in Trier. In this same year, the University of Trier was founded in the city.

From 1581 until 1593, intense witch persecutions, involving nobility as well as commoners, abounded throughout this region, leading to mass executions of hundreds of people.

In the 17th century, the Archbishops and Prince-Electors of Trier relocated their residences to Philippsburg Castle in Ehrenbreitstein, near Koblenz. A session of the Reichstag was held in Trier in 1512, during which the demarcation of the Imperial Circles was definitively established.

With the Thirty Years' War (1618–1648), more than two centuries of warfare began for Trier. It was occupied several times by French troops. They besieged and occupied Trier in 1632, 1645, 1673 (the French Army stayed until 1675 and destroyed all churches, abbeys and settlements in front of the city walls for military reasons; the city itself was heavily fortified).

In 1684, with the War of the Reunions, an era of French expansion began. Trier was again captured in 1684; all walls and fortresses were destroyed this time. After Trier and its associated electorate were yet again taken during the War of Palatinate Succession in 1688, many cities in the electorate were systematically destroyed in 1689 by the French Army. Nearly all castles were blown up and the only bridge across the Moselle in Trier was burnt. King Louis XIV of France personally issued the order for these acts of destruction but also gave the command to spare the city of Trier. As the French Army retreated in 1698, it left a starving city without walls and only 2,500 inhabitants.

Map of the conquests of King of France Louis XIV

Karim
Old Nov 15th 2013, 5:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Trier, a French City

During the War of the Spanish Succession in 1702, Trier was occupied again by a French army. In 1704-05 an allied British-Dutch army commanded by the Duke of Marlborough passed Trier on its way to France. When the campaign failed, the French came back to Trier in 1705 and stayed until 1714. After a short period of peace, the War of the Polish Succession started in 1734; the following year Trier was again occupied by the French, who stayed until 1737. The last Prince-Elector, Clement Wenceslaus of Saxony, relocated to Koblenz in 1786. In August 1794, French Republican troops took Trier. This date marked the end of the era of the old electorate. Churches, abbeys and clerical possessions were sold or the buildings put to practical use.

With the peace treaties of Basel and Campo Formio in 1797, German hegemonic powers Prussia and Austria ceded all German territories on the left bank of the Rhine river to France. Trier became a de fact French city. The University of Trier was dissolved in the same year. In 1798, it became the capital of the newly founded French Département de la Sarre. With the Treaty of Lunéville in 1801, Trier became also a de jure French city. In 1801, Napoleon Bonaparte signed a concordate with Pope Pius VII, thus stopping defamations of clerics and making Trier a diocese. Its territory was identical with the Département de la Sarre, much smaller than the Archbishopric of Trier had been until 1794. In 1802, the Frenchman Charles Mannay became first bishop of the new founded diocese and, in 1803, the first Holy Mass since 1794 was celebrated in the Cathedral of Trier. Emperor Napoleon visited Trier in 1804. In this time, French Trier began to prosper.

Charles Mannay, Trier's first French Bishop

Karim
Old Nov 15th 2013, 5:26 am
BE Enthusiast

The German Trier

In 1814, the French era ended suddenly as Trier was taken by Prussian troops. After the defeat of Napoleon, the Franco-German borders of 1792 were restored in the 1814 and 1815 Paris peace treaties. The city was proclaimed part of the Kingdom of Prussia in 1815 and made part of the Grand Duchy of the Lower Rhine, with six administrative districts. Trier became seat of one these district administrations, the Regierungsbezirk Trier. Because of the new political situation and the new customs frontiers in the West, the economy of Trier began a steady decline that was to last until 1840. The Province of the Lower Rhine was merged into the Rhine Province in 1822.

The influential philosopher and revolutionary Karl Marx was born in Trier in 1818. His birthplace, the Karl-Marx-Haus, was opened in 1947 and renovated in 1983.

Karl Marx

From 1840 on, the situation of Trier began to improve as the neighbouring state of Luxembourg, an important market for Trier-made products, joined the German Customs Union in 1842. Trier, with a population of 15,500 at this time, produced mainly leather, cloth, wine and tobacco. Iron works were founded in Quint near Trier at this time. An important infrastructural improvement was the introduction of a shipping line operating with paddle-wheel steamers on the Moselle River, connecting Trier, Koblenz and Metz. The first railway line, linking Trier with Saarbrücken and Luxembourg was inaugurated in 1860, followed by the Trier-Cologne line across the Eifel in 1871 and the Moselle Railway to Koblenz in 1879. Minor lines to Bitburg via Irrel along the Sauer River, to Hermeskeil along the Ruwer River and the Moselbahn to Bullay (near Zell) were built later. A sign of increasing prosperity were the first trade fairs in modern Trier in 1840 and 1842.

During the revolutions of 1848 in the German states, Trier also saw protests and conflicts. The city council sent a letter to King Frederick William IV of Prussia, demanding more civic liberties. The lawyer Ludwig Simon was elected to represent Trier in the first German parliament in Frankfurt. After Prussian soldiers killed one citizen and wounded others in a melée, the situation escalated. The people of Trier hoisted black-red-gold flags as democratic symbols, rang the church bells, organized a militia and took away the signs of Prussian rule. A second melée between demonstrators and soldiers, which left two citizens dead, led to a collective outburst of fury. The people began to build barricades and wave the red flag. There were even reports that a statue of the Prussian king was smashed into pieces. Trier was on the eve of a civil war when the commander of the VIII Prussian army corps arrived and threatened to shell Trier. After being confronted with superior Prussian military power, the citizens gave up and removed the barricades. Some citizens were jailed for their democratic attitude; Ludwig Simon emigrated like many others and died in Switzerland. Trier became part of the German Empire during the Prussian-led unification of Germany in 1871.

Ludwig Simon

Karim
Old Nov 15th 2013, 5:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Trier's Constantine Basilica ( 300 years after JC )

And next to the Constantine Basilica...

The sublime Prince Electors Palace

Karim
Old Nov 15th 2013, 5:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Welcome to the romantic Moselle river Valley !

Juste like the famous Rhine river Valley, the German Moselle river Valley will seduce you with its villages nestled amongst vineyards which follow the winding flow of the river. A romantic break at its best whether you visit it by train, by car or even by boat...

View of a village of the German Moselle River Valley

And my recommendation for a spot of lunch of a romantic tête à tête dinner, an authentic and historic Weinstube, located just a few hundreds meters away from the Hauptmarkt Platz. Nestled in a green area, offering a shaded terrace surrounded by vine with a traditional and welcoming interior, the Weinstube Kesselstatt is a must to discover when in Trier ! The restaurants are offering an excellent value for money in Germany aith a main course and a beer for just 7 Euros. I had a furious fancy of sausages and chips on that day, but their à la carte menu is diverse and very appetizing. Their delicious homemade Apfelstrudel is to die for !

Weinstube Kesselstatt

Karim

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.