Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

US Healthcare discussion moved from Over 50's & 60's thread

US Healthcare discussion moved from Over 50's & 60's thread

Old Sep 22nd 2011, 11:31 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Healthcare discussion moved from Over 50's & 60's thread

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
I hate to sound critical about what is obviously a horrible situation, but I would make two points. Firstly, $9000 for what coverage? A month? A year? COBRA costs what it cost your employer + 3%. Even with the ludicrous price of insurance in the US this can't be COBRA for a month. Secondly, it's really unfortunate that someone wouldn't let their partner know that they were taking such a huge decision as letting their health coverage lapse. In fact, that's being polite.
It may well be for a month.
Dh got a letter letting him know he could apply for cobra coverage when he had quit his job and had actually started at a new one (but insurance didn't kick in for three months) the cost for him alone was going to be Drum roll please ...... $5,000 a month yes that is thousands, I added him to our family Blue cross for just a few hundred.
It was Kaiser Permanente cover, with $20 per doctor visit and $30 per lab test, not even the great Kaiser coverage we'd had when the children were born. This was 6 years ago, not even recent.
Chances of Englishmum's friend finding insurance that doesn't cost thousands per month and have huge co-pays and deductibles is slim.
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 11:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I am still struggling to understand how 'the greatest country in the world' can put up with this utter shambles.
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 1:46 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
.she is currently trying to find an insurance plan in the US but is aware that it's not going to be affordable or even available with a pre-existing condition.
You should tell her to check the government plans. Obama's healthcare law has provisions for people in her situation - a national high-risk insurance pool. US citizens and legal immigrants who have preexisting conditions and have been uninsured for at least six months can enroll in the pool and receive subsidies to help them afford the premiums.

Last edited by sallysimmons; Sep 23rd 2011 at 1:49 am.
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 1:49 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
It may well be for a month.
Dh got a letter letting him know he could apply for cobra coverage when he had quit his job and had actually started at a new one (but insurance didn't kick in for three months) the cost for him alone was going to be Drum roll please ...... $5,000 a month yes that is thousands
Wow, I've never heard of that much. We are self-employed, so pay for our own insurance and the cost is $1,400 a month for two of us. COBRA is simply the employee picking up the costs that his or her employer was paying so it's hard for me to fathom $5,000 - the company must have had a true cadillac plan with all the bells and whistles.
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 2:41 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Wow, I've never heard of that much. We are self-employed, so pay for our own insurance and the cost is $1,400 a month for two of us. COBRA is simply the employee picking up the costs that his or her employer was paying so it's hard for me to fathom $5,000 - the company must have had a true cadillac plan with all the bells and whistles.
No Dh didn't have any cadillac plan with bells and whistles we couldn't figure out why it would cost so much either. I thought that would be more like the total that his boss paid out each month, there were only 4 employees and that included the two owners. It was a medical and optical only. No dental.
Now we have a cadillac plan, we are told it costs the company about $20,000 a year for the family. Thats medical, dental and optical
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 2:47 am
moi
Forum Regular

moi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond repute

Cobra coverage for my husband's old company he worked at was almost $2K per month for medical and dental....it's absoloutely insane.
Sorry to hear about your friend
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 3:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

No Dh didn't have any cadillac plan with bells and whistles we couldn't figure out why it would cost so much either. I thought that would be more like the total that his boss paid out each month, there were only 4 employees and that included the two owners. It was a medical and optical only. No dental.
I wonder whether this is because it was such a small company? If there are less than 25 (?) employees they don't even have to offer COBRA.

Now we have a cadillac plan, we are told it costs the company about $20,000 a year for the family. Thats medical, dental and optical
Right, which is about what my employer and myself pay in total per year for pretty amazing family coverage . But that's still "only" $1700 a month which still leaves me puzzling over this $9000 a month.
Old Sep 26th 2011, 3:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moi
Cobra coverage for my husband's old company he worked at was almost $2K per month for medical and dental....it's absoloutely insane.
Sorry to hear about your friend
Hello Moi, was that full coverage?.
Old Sep 26th 2011, 3:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Mummy...
A Cadillac Plan, is that 100% full coverage?
Old Sep 26th 2011, 4:18 pm
moi
Forum Regular

moi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Hello Moi, was that full coverage?.
Yes - I believe it was for the same coverage as what he had when he worked there. I'm not 100% sure though because we never used it as he resigned from his job and moved on to a different company.
Old Sep 26th 2011, 6:19 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Hello Mummy...
A Cadillac Plan, is that 100% full coverage?
We have low deductibles, and and pay 20% of bills till the deductible is met (usually only one or two doctor visits) then it's 100% the rest of the year. So long as we are in network. (blue cross) We've never had it so good. Prescriptions are $5 or $10 depending on if it's name brand or generic.
Dental we have to pay a bit more, set amounts for different things. Glasses new pair every two years, exam annually, I just paid $45 total for my share, exam and new glasses.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 5:25 am
BE Forum Addict

We have low deductibles, and and pay 20% of bills till the deductible is met (usually only one or two doctor visits) then it's 100% the rest of the year. So long as we are in network. (blue cross) We've never had it so good. Prescriptions are $5 or $10 depending on if it's name brand or generic.
Dental we have to pay a bit more, set amounts for different things. Glasses new pair every two years, exam annually, I just paid $45 total for my share, exam and new glasses.
Wow Im amazed, Ive never known anyone to have coverage as good as that, the best Ive had was 80% after deductibles. Good for You.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 2:54 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Wow Im amazed, Ive never known anyone to have coverage as good as that, the best Ive had was 80% after deductibles. Good for You.
Yes us too, we love the Union But then in a few years when the contract is up it can all change, but we hope not to be here.
We spent the first 20 years with the usual scary kind of insurance.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 4:32 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: US Healthcare discussion moved from Over 50's & 60's thread

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
I hate to sound critical about what is obviously a horrible situation, but I would make two points. Firstly, $9000 for what coverage? A month? A year? COBRA costs what it cost your employer + 3%. Even with the ludicrous price of insurance in the US this can't be COBRA for a month. Secondly, it's really unfortunate that someone wouldn't let their partner know that they were taking such a huge decision as letting their health coverage lapse. In fact, that's being polite.
I saw my friend at the weekend and I asked her about the $9k. It turned out that he is in dispute with his former employer (a major international financial organisation) - he wasn't made redundant, he was fired and he has seen an attorney about a compensation claim. From what I can gather, he was initially getting coverage for insurance after leaving his job - but then received a bill to pay for coverage for $9000 around late May or June. He hasn't paid it and the insurance was cancelled...then of course my friend discovered that she had ovarian cancer.

She is cheesed off as she had paid many thousands of $ over the years into her own health insurance plans, but when she met this guy and had a baby with him they all went onto his (better) health insurance scheme and now she's regretting it bitterly. I think it's causing a lot of tension in the relationship.

She isn't currently on chemo or radiation, but is using up the last of her airmiles to fly back to Australia next month for a follow-up visit.

SallySimmons - thanks for the 'heads up' about the 'high-risk' insurance pool. She hasn't been without insurance for six months so far, but has dual natioanlity. I know she wants to get her children insured asap though and is looking up plans on e-insurance etc.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 10:30 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: US Healthcare discussion moved from Over 50's & 60's thread

Today's "New York Times" has a report that US Health Insurance costs are rising sharply:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/28/bu...s.html?_r=1&hp

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.