Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

US Healthcare discussion moved from Over 50's & 60's thread

US Healthcare discussion moved from Over 50's & 60's thread

Old Jan 7th 2011, 11:27 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by windsong
I had to pawn all my gold jewelry a few months ago to survive unemployment. Thankfully, I have a job now. Absolutely disgraceful. The last 10 years in this place gradually ate away at my savings - combined with unemployment of course.
I can understand people pawning or having to sell jewellery because of unemployment that is understandable, and of course I was unemployed myself for 3 months when I got back here from England and have no money left now, it is all gone.

But not for health care, that is just WRONG!!!
Old Jan 8th 2011, 12:12 am
Forum Regular

bluenose123 will become famous soon enough

As it after midnight here, I will wish you all good morning. I am shocked to read of all the horror stories concerning your medical experiences. Over here people moan a lot about various concerns, but medical health comes bottom of the pile. As for your motoring worries, I thought a shift stick was some sort of insect, as we call them manuals. I drive a manual van and an automatic car. The biggest difference I noticed is when you are stationary on
a hill. The automatic will hold itself, but the manual will need you to be pretty
proficent with the clutch. Concerning islands, traffic coming from the right
always has the right of way. Having driven on the "wrong " side of the road abroad, If you keep your concentration it is not to nerve wracking. Am a bit concerned about Rod not giving us an update , could it be he is getting withdrawal symptoms with the lack of that glorious Vegas sunshine? I must admit , I was surprised to see the pictures of the floods in Queensland, as I did not think Oz had that ammount of rain. I have been scouring the spectators at the cricket test matches, but have not noticed Barb watching
the games. But then, she could have been in fancy dress.
Best of luck to all the new posters as well as the golden oldies.
Old Jan 8th 2011, 12:29 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bluenose123
As it after midnight here, I will wish you all good morning. I am shocked to read of all the horror stories concerning your medical experiences. Over here people moan a lot about various concerns, but medical health comes bottom of the pile. As for your motoring worries, I thought a shift stick was some sort of insect, as we call them manuals. I drive a manual van and an automatic car. The biggest difference I noticed is when you are stationary on
a hill. The automatic will hold itself, but the manual will need you to be pretty
proficent with the clutch. Concerning islands, traffic coming from the right
always has the right of way. Having driven on the "wrong " side of the road abroad, If you keep your concentration it is not to nerve wracking. Am a bit concerned about Rod not giving us an update , could it be he is getting withdrawal symptoms with the lack of that glorious Vegas sunshine? I must admit , I was surprised to see the pictures of the floods in Queensland, as I did not think Oz had that ammount of rain. I have been scouring the spectators at the cricket test matches, but have not noticed Barb watching
the games. But then, she could have been in fancy dress.
Best of luck to all the new posters as well as the golden oldies.
I was in the Barmy Army wearing my Union Jack dress LOL!!
Old Jan 8th 2011, 2:37 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

HighSpeedGrandma....Sorry about your husbands job. Do you need to come back to the US or could you postpone till later in the year. You might have to pay a charge I know when my Mum came to visit we often changed the dates of her returns.

We moved back to the healthcare issue can we move on. I am sorry about ldyinlv, but she did cancel her insurance and someone has to pay for it. You keep saying Healthcare is free in the UK it is far from free my family pay large amounts each week for healthcare stamps. Perhaps those of you back in the UK and working could enlighten us as to how much money you pay for your stamp. I will ask me niece exactly how much money she pays. She and her husband are in the late 30's.
Old Jan 8th 2011, 2:39 am
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
HighSpeedGrandma....Sorry about your husbands job. Do you need to come back to the US or could you postpone till later in the year. You might have to pay a charge I know when my Mum came to visit we often changed the dates of her returns.

We moved back to the healthcare issue can we move on. I am sorry about ldyinlv, but she did cancel her insurance and someone has to pay for it. You keep saying Healthcare is free in the UK it is far from free my family pay large amounts each week for healthcare stamps. Perhaps those of you back in the UK and working could enlighten us as to how much money you pay for your stamp. I will ask me niece exactly how much money she pays. She and her husband are in the late 30's.
Actually, I didnt cancel my insurance, it was cancelled for me.
Old Jan 8th 2011, 2:43 am
BE Enthusiast

beachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond repute

I believe that the NHS is funded through taxes and not the NI contribution.
Old Jan 8th 2011, 2:45 am
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beachgal21
I believe that the NHS is funded through taxes and not the NI contribution.
I am not asking for anyone sympathy, I was just venting about my situation, I am sorry if it some how offended you. I have worked for 30 years here, and I believe I have paid my dues.
Jackie
Old Jan 8th 2011, 3:11 am
BE Enthusiast

beachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
I am not asking for anyone sympathy, I was just venting about my situation, I am sorry if it some how offended you. I have worked for 30 years here, and I believe I have paid my dues.
Jackie
My comment was meant for trottytrue. Idyinlv I have nothing but the upmost sympathy for you and I truly hope that your scan gives you an all clear and that your move back home is a success. I have been living in the US for 10 years and have been wanting to move back to the UK for the last 9. The way the healthcare system is set up here is an absolute and utter disgrace, and nothing or nobody will ever convince me otherwise.

Linda
Old Jan 8th 2011, 3:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by beachgal21
My comment was meant for trottytrue. Idyinlv I have nothing but the upmost sympathy for you and I truly hope that your scan gives you an all clear and that your move back home is a success. I have been living in the US for 10 years and have been wanting to move back to the UK for the last 9. The way the healthcare system is set up here is an absolute and utter disgrace, and nothing or nobody will ever convince me otherwise.

Linda
I am sorry, my comment was meant for Trotty also....

Thank you for your concern it is appreciated...
Old Jan 8th 2011, 4:36 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

I am sorry if I misunderstood you Idyinlv did they give a reason why they cancelled your insurance.

I am still saying we have been down the healthcare road on this forum quite a few times and it always ends up the same way. Those who don't like US Healthcare and those who have good US healthcare. It just so happens my husband and all my family have good healthcare. But I know many dont. But this is not the forum to discuss it for one thing it takes it way to much space and people lose sight as to what the forum was set up for and that was help in returning to the UK and helpful hints. I have said before if you want to discuss it and there is plenty to discuss on both sides of this issue in both the US and the UK then open up another link. Those people living in the Uk have paid into healthcare all their lives. well most of them have. Below is how its done.

1.How is health care in the UK financed?

Show Answer
Answer

Health care is almost totally financed out of taxation. 80% of the finance comes from general tax revenues while 15% comes from national insurance contributions.
Old Jan 8th 2011, 7:13 am
Forum Regular

poppycat is just really nicepoppycat is just really nicepoppycat is just really nicepoppycat is just really nicepoppycat is just really nicepoppycat is just really nicepoppycat is just really nicepoppycat is just really nice

I am still saying we have been down the healthcare road on this forum quite a few times and it always ends up the same.........But this is not the forum to discuss it
Why start another thread about American Health Insurance, or lack thereof, when this particular issue would appear to be one of, if not the discerning factor for this demographic when considering whether or not to return to the UK? In any event, people weren't discussing Health Insurance in depth, they were merely commenting on the medical financial issue facing Jackie and empathizing with her current dilemna; an added burden she could well do without.

Jackie...Sending good thoughts you way. I'm totally appalled & disgusted at this turn of events.The sooner you're home, the better. Fingers crossed your CAT scan is clear!
Old Jan 8th 2011, 9:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Her is Scotland I take 6 different meds a day and it costs me through Boots, £10 for 4 months, the same meds in Canada cost me over $300.00
Old Jan 8th 2011, 1:18 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, I've done the calculations on all taxes in the UK and in the US and factored in health care costs, and I'll be quite a bit better off in the UK.

Taxes across the two countries come out slightly lower in the UK for me when you count NI, VAT, property and income tax in the UK and then balance that against FICA, fed tax, state tax, town tax (in my case), sales tax and property taxes here. That leaves my $1,400 of health care costs as money I will quite simply save in the UK.

Even those of you who don't pay for your own health care may still find you save money (although if you're in NH where there's no state tax, that might tip the balance the other way).

Of course then there's the fact that every time you need to see a doctor, it won't cost you a co-pay. Every time you need a procedure, there won't be a deductible. Half the times you need a prescription, you won't be told it's not covered and you'll have to cough up the whole amount yourself ... the list of savings for most of us will be quite long, as they are for ED.

Last edited by sallysimmons; Jan 8th 2011 at 1:23 pm.
Old Jan 8th 2011, 1:27 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by poppycat
Why start another thread about American Health Insurance, or lack thereof, when this particular issue would appear to be one of, if not the discerning factor for this demographic when considering whether or not to return to the UK? In any event, people weren't discussing Health Insurance in depth, they were merely commenting on the medical financial issue facing Jackie and empathizing with her current dilemna; an added burden she could well do without.

So true - worries about health care have been the primary driver for my husband to consider a move home. I think it's at the heart of many peoples' decision-making.
Old Jan 8th 2011, 1:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Actually, I've done the calculations on all taxes in the UK and in the US and factored in health care costs, and I'll be quite a bit better off in the UK.

Taxes across the two countries come out slightly lower in the UK for me when you count NI, VAT, property and income tax in the UK and then balance that against FICA, fed tax, state tax, town tax (in my case), sales tax and property taxes here. That leaves my $1,400 of health care costs as money I will quite simply save in the UK.

Even those of you who don't pay for your own health care may still find you save money (although if you're in NH where there's no state tax, that might tip the balance the other way).

Of course then there's the fact that every time you need to see a doctor, it won't cost you a co-pay. Every time you need a procedure, there won't be a deductible. Half the times you need a prescription, you won't be told it's not covered and you'll have to cough up the whole amount yourself ... the list of savings for most of us will be quite long, as they are for ED.
Nice to know my money will go further over there.

On a similar note, I compared the price of meat over there to the price of meat in the U.S. a few weeks ago. How do people afford to eat meat over there? I don't eat that much meat anyway - but still . . .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.