FYI: Senior bus pass

Old May 15th 2017, 4:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute
Default FYI: Senior bus pass

Our immigration attorney has confirmed that those on a spouse visa who are of pensionable age can apply for a bus pass. It is not considered a public fund. Here is her email to us.

Your query below is a good one: It would be my opinion that it does not constitute a public fund for immigration purposes. This is due to the fact that it is not listed under paragraph 6 of the Immigration Rules nor is it mentioned on the Home Office website (see here: https://www.gov.uk/government/public...2/public-funds). The following guidance (https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...unds_v13.0.pdf) on page 9 confirms that if the benefit is not listed under paragraph 6 then it cannot be considered a public fund for immigration purposes. The Home Office also confirmed the position in a Freedom of Information Request (see here: https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...t_a_public_f_2).
Old May 15th 2017, 6:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

michali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: FYI: Senior bus pass

Old May 19th 2017, 5:08 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

OP, well done for finding that, but don't hold your breath, cos it's a 'wait & see' after the June election when Ms May digs her heels in to stop not only the 'winter fuel allowance' also the 'free concessionary travel pass' and possibly an end to the free TV licence for those over age 75... anything is possible

No end to what she will do next
Old May 19th 2017, 7:07 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
OP, well done for finding that, but don't hold your breath, cos it's a 'wait & see' after the June election when Ms May digs her heels in to stop not only the 'winter fuel allowance' also the 'free concessionary travel pass' and possibly an end to the free TV licence for those over age 75... anything is possible

No end to what she will do next
I'm no fan of the Conservatives or Theresa May, but let's not spread rumours hey?

The Tory manifesto says the winter fuel allowance will be means tested, not scrapped. Free bus passes, prescriptions and TV licenses will continue.
Old May 20th 2017, 7:39 am
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

I for one am quite happy to give up the winter fuel if it means I can keep the last £100 000 of my savings or house value when I need care!
Old May 20th 2017, 7:56 am
BE Forum Addict

michali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by feelbritish
I for one am quite happy to give up the winter fuel if it means I can keep the last £100 000 of my savings or house value when I need care!
Me too! As I see it at the moment, you either vote Tory and get less social care but a more generous inheritance tax allowance, or Labour and get possibly better social care but the threat of halving the inheritance tax allowance!
Old May 20th 2017, 8:11 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by michali
Me too! As I see it at the moment, you either vote Tory and get less social care but a more generous inheritance tax allowance, or Labour and get possibly better social care but the threat of halving the inheritance tax allowance!
Don't forget, the manifestos are really only a means of testing the waters over thongs they might do, a bad response will, almost certainly, mean that the idea just falls into the abyss of forgotten manifesto promises.
Old May 20th 2017, 12:15 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Don't forget, the manifestos are really only a means of testing the waters over thongs they might do, a bad response will, almost certainly, mean that the idea just falls into the abyss of forgotten manifesto promises.
This is a new low. The swimsuit issue of the manifesto?
Old May 20th 2017, 6:06 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
This is a new low. The swimsuit issue of the manifesto?
Thongs will always and forever be rubber footwear to me - not a 1990s media invented term for a 'garment' that consists of a string around the hips and another up the jacksie!

However, the Tory manifesto does have elements of flip-flops
Old May 20th 2017, 10:17 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Thongs will always and forever be rubber footwear to me - not a 1990s media invented term for a 'garment' that consists of a string around the hips and another up the jacksie!

However, the Tory manifesto does have elements of flip-flops
Good new word thank you! I had to go to Urban Dictionary for jacksie. But yeah Tory manifestos were always a bit that way.
Old May 23rd 2017, 11:19 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

On the social care issue, the papers seem to have missed the fact that May is offering little more than what is already law and due to be implemented in 2020.

The Care Act passed by the coalition raised the upper limit for capital to £118,000 and the lower limit to £17,000; i.e. above £118,000 you'd pay all of your care costs; between £17,000 and £118,000 you'd pay some.

However, the Act also introduced a £72,000 lifetime cap on care costs. May's original proposal did not include a cap, but she is flip-flopping on the issue.

Also, May's proposal that care at home should be paid for from house equity is entirely new.

So, some people who end up in residential care may be better off under May's proposal, but not many. Any home owner who needs help with care in their own home will be worse off.

Last edited by Editha; May 23rd 2017 at 11:31 am.
Old May 23rd 2017, 11:37 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

What I find most objectionable about May's proposal is that it appears to have been written on the back of an envelope. There is no detail, it has not been costed, and it ignores the detailed proposals of the Dilnot report. We have a real and current crisis in social care funding which needs solving urgently, but this is just callous electioneering.
Old May 23rd 2017, 12:25 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Editha
What I find most objectionable about May's proposal is that it appears to have been written on the back of an envelope. There is no detail, it has not been costed, and it ignores the detailed proposals of the Dilnot report. We have a real and current crisis in social care funding which needs solving urgently, but this is just callous electioneering.
Yes Editha, that's it exactly.

I hope you're going ok and are moving closer to getting your health issue sorted.