Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

UK citizens now have NO absolute right to return to the UK

UK citizens now have NO absolute right to return to the UK

Old Nov 24th 2014, 4:10 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute
Default UK citizens now have NO absolute right to return to the UK

From: BBC News - David Cameron outlines new anti-terror measures to MPs

"Mr Cameron said the UK was able to block foreign nationals and those with dual citizenship from re-entering the UK but did not have the same power for UK nationals deemed to pose a threat to the country.

Under his proposals, UK nationals suspected of being involved in terror acts would be allowed to keep their British citizenship, but they would be prevented from re-entering the UK for a period of time."

I find it outrageous that British citizens are now being denied the right to entry to THEIR country. Sometimes I wonder why we bothered fighting Hitler, when the current situation isn't far off Nazi Germany.

The British police state goes onwards and upwards.
Old Nov 24th 2014, 4:26 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK citizens now have NO absolute right to return to the UK

Originally Posted by hungryhorace

"Mr Cameron said the UK was able to block foreign nationals and those with dual citizenship from re-entering the UK but did not have the same power for UK nationals deemed to pose a threat to the country.

Under his proposals, UK nationals suspected of being involved in terror acts would be allowed to keep their British citizenship, but they would be prevented from re-entering the UK for a period of time."

I find it outrageous that British citizens are now being denied the right to entry to THEIR country. Sometimes I wonder why we bothered fighting Hitler, when the current situation isn't far off Nazi Germany.

Good for David Cameron is all I can say, I don't want those thousands of individuals who have gone off to fight for IS just coming back without any problems, who knows the reson they are returning, might be because they realise they got it all wrong, or that it's too cold out there (one one the reasons I heard), or they might just be going to set up terror groups in the UK, and do a few more Lee Rigby's. They've made their bed, so let them lie in it.
Old Nov 24th 2014, 4:34 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: UK citizens now have NO absolute right to return to the UK

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Good for David Cameron is all I can say, I don't want those thousands of individuals who have gone off to fight for IS just coming back without any problems, who knows the reson they are returning, might be because they realise they got it all wrong, or that it's too cold out there (one one the reasons I heard), or they might just be going to set up terror groups in the UK, and do a few more Lee Rigby's. They've made their bed, so let them lie in it.
I totally agree with you.
Old Nov 24th 2014, 4:35 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Angry Re: UK citizens now have NO absolute right to return to the UK

Well since you now live in the USA it isn't going to have any impact on you
Old Nov 24th 2014, 5:34 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
They are _British Citizens_. It is an outrage that citizens are being denied entry to THEIR country. Do I even need to point out that they have been convicted of nothing. All suspicion is at the whim of MI6 and MI5.

That's called a 'security state' last time I checked my political theory.

Just in case there is any doubt about the danger of these controls, look at the case of Moazzam Begg - http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...-agents-papers. Under the ludicrous proposed legislation, he would now be 'barred' from returning to the UK for a period of two years. There's a reason lawyers like Grieve were ditched a few months back; I am sure they are aghast at the measures the bill proposes. Any, decent, educated person should be also.

Last edited by hungryhorace; Nov 24th 2014 at 5:44 pm.
Old Nov 24th 2014, 5:52 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

They are _British Citizens_. It is an outrage that citizens are being denied entry to THEIR country. Do I even need to point out that they have been convicted of nothing. All suspicion is at the whim of MI6 and MI5.

Just in case there is any doubt about the danger of these controls, look at the case of Moazzam Begg - Moazzam Begg was in contact with MI5 about his Syria visits, papers show | World news | The Guardian. Under the ludicrous proposed legislation, he would now be 'barred' from returning to the UK for a period of two years. There's a reason lawyers like Grieve were ditched a few months back; I am sure they are aghast at the measures the bill proposes. Any, decent, educated person should be also.
I reckon you're a Labour supporter then? Or UKIP? Both exhibit demonstrably more extremist views than Cameron.

Just for the record, I believe this refers to people who have reason to be suspect in one way or another, as a result of some kind of dubious activity whilst abroad. Not a wholesale refusal to admit British citizens, as your sensationalist rant would suggest.

But I noticed that the PlebGate affair is back. Another horrific violation of Britishness that should not be ignored.

No worries, Daily mail is all over it.
Old Nov 24th 2014, 5:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

Old Nov 24th 2014, 6:04 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by amideislas
I reckon you're a Labour supporter then? Or UKIP? Both exhibit demonstrably more extremist views than Cameron.
I love how you're too stupid to understand political theory, so you attempt to box my views into somehow being linked with how I vote. That is such an ignorant American approach. I'm Oxford educated, for the record, and I would usually vote Conservative (though I am of the libertarian wing, not the Tory one). Maybe you would label Dominic Grieve (QC, Cantab) as an 'extremist' as well for holding similar views? Either way, you're a moron.

Just for the record, I believe this refers to people who have reason to be suspect in one way or another, as a result of some kind of dubious activity whilst abroad. Not a wholesale refusal to admit British citizens, as your sensationalist rant would suggest.
Except it's not a sensationalist rant. Not at all. It is contained within legislation to be passed through Parliament. Let me know what part of a British citizen *suspected* of an offence, yet no conviction existing, being denied entry to the UK that you don't understand?

Further, even if they have gone and murdered someone, how is that REMOTELY relevant to their right to enter the country of which they hold citizenship?

But I noticed that the PlebGate affair is back. Another horrific violation of Britishness that should not be ignored.
Do shut up.
Old Nov 24th 2014, 6:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

They are _British Citizens_. It is an outrage that citizens are being denied entry to THEIR country.

It is an outrage that someone born and raised in Britain would travel abroad to join a group like IS. It is even more outrageous that they would expect to be allowed back into the country or that anyone would have a problem with them being denied entry.

Do I even need to point out that they have been convicted of nothing. All suspicion is at the whim of MI6 and MI5.

The decisions will be based on a damned sight more than suspicion and whims.

Then you might want to check it again.

Any, decent, educated person should be also.

Any decent, educated person should be against allowing terrorists to waltz back into the country to do God knows what to innocent people.
Old Nov 24th 2014, 6:11 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

It's merely a 'proposal' at this point which means a tough sounding press release that will come to nothing. There's no way it would ever stand up in a court of law.
Old Nov 24th 2014, 6:11 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

I love how you're too stupid to understand political theory, so you attempt to box my views into somehow being linked with how I vote. That is such an ignorant American approach. I'm Oxford educated, for the record, and I would usually vote Conservative (though I am of the libertarian wing, not the Tory one). Maybe you would label Dominic Grieve (QC, Cantab) as an 'extremist' as well for holding similar views? Either way, you're a moron.

Except it's not a sensationalist rant. Not at all. It is contained within legislation to be passed through Parliament. Let me know what part of a British citizen *suspected* of an offence, yet no conviction existing, being denied entry to the UK that you don't understand?

Further, even if they have gone and murdered someone, how is that REMOTELY relevant to their right to enter the country of which they hold citizenship?

Do shut up.
Nice to have met your acquaintance. Unfortunately, I have more moderate things to concern myself with, but please feel free to storm in anytime personally attack anyone who takes exception with your offensive character, regardless of your views (just a tip, but offending everybody is not a very effective way to solicit support, but as an ivory tower academic, surely you're above all that).

Last edited by amideislas; Nov 24th 2014 at 6:18 pm.
Old Nov 24th 2014, 6:13 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by colchar
It is an outrage that someone born and raised in Britain would travel abroad to join a group like IS. It is even more outrageous that they would expect to be allowed back into the country or that anyone would have a problem with them being denied entry.
You're clearly a philistine. What's the highest level of education you hold, out of interest?

The decisions will be based on a damned sight more than suspicion and whims.
NO THEY WILL NOT. It is sheer ignorance to attempt to assert contrary. You only need to look at what MI6 were involved with with regards to Libyan extraditions to understand the lack of oversight this organisation has. They are, literally, in the shadows - both from public and political oversight.

You are a naive *fool* to believe otherwise.

Any decent, educated person should be against allowing terrorists to waltz back into the country to do God knows what to innocent people.
They are citizens. They have the absolute right to entry. To deny them entry is something you would expect with African dictatorships, or oppressive regimes, NOT the behaviour of one of the leading 'democratic' powers of the world.

There is nothing stopping them being arrested and detained for questioning and / or charge when they enter the country. Except, as MI6 know equally as well, there is very limited chance of convicting such people of these offences in court. Hence these 'TPMs', which are another affront to justice and liberties.
Old Nov 24th 2014, 6:13 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by BritInParis
It's merely a 'proposal' at this point which means a tough sounding press release that will come to nothing. There's no way it would ever stand up in a court of law.
Thank you. Finally someone with some intelligence.
Old Nov 24th 2014, 6:22 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you. Finally someone with some intelligence.
The ongoing attempted erosion of not only our civil liberties, but even the basic rule of law, in the name of fighting the latest political bogeyman (paedophiles, terrorists, etc..) is extremely worrying.

If the government has sufficient evidence that a British citizen has gone overseas to commit acts of terror then they should be arrested on their return and tried, not exiled.

Edit: This has just been reported on the BBC News website.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-30173238

The new legislation includes:

- Counter-radicalisation measures - requirements that schools, colleges and probation providers help prevent people being radicalised
- Changes to TPIMs - Terrorism Prevention and Investigation Measures - to allow the authorities to force suspects to move to another part of the country
- Raising the burden of proof for imposing TPIMs from "reasonable belief" to "balance of probabilities"
- Greater powers to disrupt people heading abroad to fight - including cancelling passports at the border for up to 30 days
- Statutory temporary exclusion orders to control return to the UK of British citizens suspected of terrorist activity
- Tighter aviation security - requiring airlines to provide passenger data more quickly and effectively
- Banning insurance companies from covering ransoms
- Forcing firms to hand details to police identifying who was using a computer or mobile phone at a given time.
Let's see how much of this goes through.

Last edited by BritInParis; Nov 24th 2014 at 6:34 pm.
Old Nov 24th 2014, 6:37 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by BritInParis
The ongoing attempted erosion of not only our civil liberties, but even the basic rule of law, in the name of fighting the latest political bogeyman (paedophiles, terrorists, etc..) is extremely worrying.
The problem is, so many of the British population are born to ignorance. You only need to look at the first few replies to this thread to understand the average intelligence level the government needs to play to to gain public support for these measures.

If only the courts in England & Wales actually held any sway over the legislature. What is being proposed is a totalitarian affront to justice and decency. This is the type of policy that oppressive murderous regimes inflicting on their citizens for gods sake.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.