Too scared to live in England.

Old Jan 28th 2008, 10:21 pm
Banned

Backhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Too scared to live in England.

Originally Posted by Britinsac
Good for you. Glad its working out for you. The weather is as good or as bad in UK as the place you are comparing it to. For me it's crap compared to California ok?
Since the dollar has dropped so much in value if I were to return to the UK I would be worse off. I wouldnt be able to have two cars, and we would probably all live in one room.
We are all different. I think I was referring to MY fears, not suggesting that everyone's situation is the same.

And that is not a reflection on the UK. In fact quite the opposite.

Dont return then....simple.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 10:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Britinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by hudd
We actually have 3 cars between my wife and myself as I also get a decent company car as well. Never had a company car in Canada. I never lived in OZ, but agree I have a much healthier bank account than I did in Canada.

Yesterday was great in Oxfordshire. Spent the day gardening in January? Weeds are starting to grow well. kids played outside on skateboards, trampoline and played basketball etc. We had ice/snow until April and sometime snowed in early May! and its was late May before anything grew in our garden, so we actually like English winters now we returned home as its green most of the year.

I agree age discrimination is not much of a problem in the UK. Most companies are looked for skilled and experienced people, so being over 50 is not a problem today in the UK job market.
Oh but you are comparing the weather to umm ....Canada??

It seems that pretty much we are all agreed. There is no perfect place, you just need to get as near to perfect as you can - for you. If I could live in Oxfordshire and have 3 cars and a healthier bank account than I have now I probably would do it! But with the decline in property values in the US my house is worth 40% less than it was 2 years ago. My money is worth 30% less than it was when I brought it here.
For me it's just not an option. I choose to stay put and enjoy what I have.
I don't have such compelling reasons to go back to UK either. I don't live in Perth. Maybe if I had bad experiences like that I would have already returned too.

I don't think in my post I was running with "the pack of hungry dogs attacking the uk". I simply stated what my fears were.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 10:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Britinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Backhomeatlast
Dont return then....simple.
Duh. I am not going to.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 10:47 pm
Forum Regular

ukflyaway is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gsxrmad
Where is home?
home is where the heart is..?
Old Jan 28th 2008, 10:50 pm
Banned

Backhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond repute

Duh. I am not going to.

Can you see why People who come back to the UK after trying other Countries get fed up with ex-pats constantly knocking the UK while in a lot of cases “pretend” to love the Country they have emigrated to and feel better when attacking the UK, we all know many do it as a “relief valve” because secretly they would love to come back but cannot for a whole bunch of reasons , the media really has done a disservice to this Country with all the lies and bullshit they spout and some of the ex-pats (Daily Mail) readers really believe it, if people emigrate and enjoy it good luck to them but please stop knocking the UK, it is quite easy to see the ones who are sad abroad.

Last edited by Backhomeatlast; Jan 28th 2008 at 10:52 pm.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 10:55 pm
Forum Regular

ukflyaway is an unknown quantity at this point

Can you see why People who come back to the UK after trying other Countries get fed up with ex-pats constantly knocking the UK while in a lot of cases “pretend” to love the Country they have emigrated to and feel better when attacking the UK and we all know many do it as a “relief valve” because secretly they would love to come back but cannot for a whole bunch of reasons , the media really has done a disservice to this Country with all the lies and bullshit they spout and some of the ex-pats (Daily Mail) readers really believe it, if people emigrate and enjoy it good luck to you but please stop knocking the UK because it is quite easy to see the ones who are sad abroad.
We are all on a merry go round and some decide to get off at different points.
we noticed some smells from some of the horses.. NE England for one, Some stay on and wish they could get off! some possibly yourself? stay on for the ride..your choice good or bad.. easy..
Old Jan 28th 2008, 10:57 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by ukflyaway
We are all on a merry go round and some decide to get off at different points.
we noticed some smells from some of the horses.. NE England for one, Some stay on and wish they could get off! some possibly yourself? stay on for the ride..your choice good or bad.. easy..

I could have stayed in Oz but decided to jump off half-way around
Old Jan 28th 2008, 11:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Can you see why People who come back to the UK after trying other Countries get fed up with ex-pats constantly knocking the UK while in a lot of cases “pretend” to love the Country they have emigrated to and feel better when attacking the UK, we all know many do it as a “relief valve” because secretly they would love to come back but cannot for a whole bunch of reasons , the media really has done a disservice to this Country with all the lies and bullshit they spout and some of the ex-pats (Daily Mail) readers really believe it, if people emigrate and enjoy it good luck to them but please stop knocking the UK, it is quite easy to see the ones who are sad abroad.
I am somewhat stunned at how confrontational you are. I guess if I don't agree with your opinion I am labelled as an expat who knocks the UK. Do you think the chip that you wear so proudly on your shoulder could be responsible for "almost getting involved in violent situations" in Perth?
I also wonder why you even bother to post in an expat site if you cannot identify with anything expat or respect anyone else's point of view.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 11:10 pm
Forum Regular

gsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nice

I agree mate, no where is prefect!! But I feel safer in the uk for myself and my family!!!
Old Jan 28th 2008, 11:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I am somewhat stunned at how confrontational you are. I guess if I don't agree with your opinion I am labelled as an expat who knocks the UK. Do you think the chip that you wear so proudly on your shoulder could be responsible for "almost getting involved in violent situations" in Perth?
I also wonder why you even bother to post in an expat site if you cannot identify with anything expat or respect anyone else's point of view.
OK guys chill a little. Please remember this forum is for people who are wanting to move back to the UK and for people who can help and support them.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jan 28th 2008 at 11:55 pm.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 6:27 am
BE Enthusiast

hudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of light

Oh but you are comparing the weather to umm ....Canada??

It seems that pretty much we are all agreed. There is no perfect place, you just need to get as near to perfect as you can - for you. If I could live in Oxfordshire and have 3 cars and a healthier bank account than I have now I probably would do it! But with the decline in property values in the US my house is worth 40% less than it was 2 years ago. My money is worth 30% less than it was when I brought it here.
For me it's just not an option. I choose to stay put and enjoy what I have.
I don't have such compelling reasons to go back to UK either. I don't live in Perth. Maybe if I had bad experiences like that I would have already returned too.

I don't think in my post I was running with "the pack of hungry dogs attacking the uk". I simply stated what my fears were.
I had similar problems returning to the UK a few years ago. Our real estate only growth in value by 30% in 8 years and we spend 50% of the purchase price totally renovating the house. So in real terms compared our house value actually dropped in terms of an investiment. We got 15% less on much of our money exchange, so I no how it hurts the pocket moving to another country and back home again.

We actually spend less money each month in the UK. Tend to buy less and not need so much money for livining costs i,e heating oil, electricity, petrol than living in rural Canada.

Regards

hudd
Old Jan 29th 2008, 6:49 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladyofthelake
The British invaded???? Please try to get your facts right.
Exactly my thoughts. How weird.

Originally Posted by Howard1944
Some people believe that the Maldives aka the Falklands are actually Argentinian Territory and not an extension of the U.K.

Geography not your strong point then Howard?
Originally Posted by zerohero
Just stop reading the British newspapers and London based TV news.Many other countries do not report crime as precisely as in the UK.
Oh how true that is for Australia, land of the Ostrich.

Originally Posted by Eric Hitchmo
BE post of the year so far.
gets my vote.....

I would suggest who thinks the UK is scary try Northbridge in Perth, probably the most dangerous place on earth after midnight, and I aint joking
I think that's a slight exaggeration B, don't you?
Old Jan 29th 2008, 6:57 am
Forum Regular

ree76 is a glorious beacon of lightree76 is a glorious beacon of lightree76 is a glorious beacon of lightree76 is a glorious beacon of lightree76 is a glorious beacon of lightree76 is a glorious beacon of lightree76 is a glorious beacon of lightree76 is a glorious beacon of lightree76 is a glorious beacon of lightree76 is a glorious beacon of lightree76 is a glorious beacon of light

quote: Oh how true that is for Australia, land of the Ostrich

Not really much chance for balanced journalism when you only have one newspaper is there.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 7:01 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by clougherty family
Hi all,

We moved back to the UK last May and have to say that we are slightly worried about bringing our boys up in this area. We live in Maidenhead in Berkshire which is a nice area but it seems to be changing rapidly. My husband (who moaned about Perth for the whole 2 yrs we were there) even said that other day that maybe we should move back there because he doesn't want to bring the kids up here as he is scared something will happen to them!! Absolutely no way I'm ever going back to Perth but am starting to wonder whether we should move out a bit from here, somewhere more rural and village -like. It's not that anything bad has happened here but we are right next to Slough which has millions of Romanian travellers setting up homes with 40 people in each house, kid's with no parents among them. There were raids on 17 such houses the other day because kid's are being made to beg on the streets to earn money for these people. Unbelievable really in this day in age. I feel very sad and nostalgic for the time when I was growing up here and we could play outside etc etc. but unfortunately times change. I suppose you can look at it that not all the kids turn out bad, but some do and I don't want mine to be influenced by gangs and knives. I am waffling on now and don't really know what point I'm trying to get to except we are seriously worried about staying here and are not really sure what to do.

Jo

Holy crap Jo, that's horrible this is exactly what my OH is going on about all of the time. I know we are thinking about moving back to a rural-ish village in Devon, but he keeps bleating on about the kids, when they're older, going into the big towns etc and them being full of these sorts of people.

It's worrying that you've noticed a big change in your area and you were only away fro a couple of years. What the hell is it all going to be like in ten years?

Would you consider coming back to Australia but going to a different part...not sleepy retirement centre Perth?
Old Jan 29th 2008, 7:04 am

Triboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Howard1944
Some people believe that the Maldives aka the Falklands are actually Argentinian Territory and not an extension of the U.K.

"Does it Hurt?"

"Only when I laugh nurse"

'kin priceless

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.