Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Those who have returned ...do you regret having emigrated in the first place?

Those who have returned ...do you regret having emigrated in the first place?

Old Apr 29th 2009, 1:04 pm
Forum Regular

penny farthing is just really nicepenny farthing is just really nicepenny farthing is just really nicepenny farthing is just really nicepenny farthing is just really nicepenny farthing is just really nicepenny farthing is just really nicepenny farthing is just really nice
Default Re: Those who have returned ...do you regret having emigrated in the first place?

Originally Posted by Kapri
Hi folks

I spent 2 years researching Australia and was almost at the end of the visa apllication when family circumstances meant I had to drop it. My OH told me he was relieved, that he hadn't really wanted to go at all.
He is quite right when he says it would be financial madness. Although, as a nurse, I would be fine for work his job doesn't transfer and he would have to pick up unskilled work or spend at least 2 years retraining. i would also have to take a step back in my career.
Despite all this I can't stop thinking about going. I feel that even if we ended up coming back at least we would have had the experience. He is adamant that it would leave us broke (it would!)and therefore is a risk not worth taking.
I think I'm mad for still thinking about Australia ....but I can't help it
As people who have emigrated then returned what are your thoughts?
You don't have a solid enough convincing reasons to burn bridges and go- you really need to have a definite reasons - job loss -family connection- much much better income, those kinds of things.
Therefore if it was me I would go for one year only if you can to test the waters first, because in the end its all about where you feel you BELONG, nothing else....... and this feeling will try and trump common sense so its a difficult situation-
believe me, I know.
also Australia is way too far away- try Canada or USA- you can bail and be home in 6 hours. good luck
Old May 2nd 2009, 4:49 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Those who have returned ...do you regret having emigrated in the first place?

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
I don't feel we gained anything at all from living in OZ, except learning the fact that the UK is a better place for us.

So in that respect we are definately better people for it, appreciating what we have instead of moaning and being too greedy.
You live and learn, we certainly did, a very expensive mistake though.
thats exactly how i feel, and now am stuck, be careful kapri if you come, you come with a get out plan
Old May 2nd 2009, 5:07 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Long-term Aussies have been scratching their heads re: the alleged 'skills shortages' the government has been waffling on about for years as justification for bringing in more Asian and African unskilled migrants. What

Australia continues to advertise in Britain, claiming there are loads of positions vacant in Australia which due to the 'skills shortage', cannot be filled by Aussies. But basically, it would appear there is substantial voter backlash at the huge number of non-English speaking unskilled migrants being brought into the country, which they periodically pretend to address by allowing UK migrants in. But it seems to me that Brit migrants are made by the Aussie government to jump through hoops of fire in order to get into Australia, while at the same time, unskilled Asians and Africans are brought in under the auspices of 'front' charitable and church organisations, behind which lurk the Usual Suspects.

Trust me .... Aussies would be happy to see millions of Brits come to Australia, to balance out the millions of non-english speaking, unskilled foreign migrant numbers ! Yes ... we would love to see a lot more Brits in Australia ! (this despite all the research showed, 20 years ago, that the maximum sustainable population in this land was 13 million). But ... as the puppet Aussie government seems hell-bent on creating water and resource shortages through unsustainable population numbers .. then the average Aussie would vote for Brit migrants every time.

As you have said no one wants to sound upopular on here, but in the last two years the above has certainly been my experience, aussies would welcome brits in melbourne with open arms,
Old May 2nd 2009, 5:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Jay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really nice

I agree with the above post. My job in OZ was so easy to get because I was far more qualified than any other OZ going for the job. The OCE was desperate for me to get the job she was even talking about the managers positions.
Old May 2nd 2009, 6:20 am
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

Having been here 51/2 years, I have noticed one thing that frustrates me as an employer. Many of the Aussies do not want to work hard but they want all the benefits.
On the other hand, I've seen outstanding, polite and fantastic efforts made by the Japanese and Chinese.
I'm taking business back to the UK because of the slack attitude to working here and it's the same reason why Australia has lost much of it's business to overseas production.
Old May 3rd 2009, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

Gina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi folks

I spent 2 years researching Australia and was almost at the end of the visa apllication when family circumstances meant I had to drop it. My OH told me he was relieved, that he hadn't really wanted to go at all.
He is quite right when he says it would be financial madness. Although, as a nurse, I would be fine for work his job doesn't transfer and he would have to pick up unskilled work or spend at least 2 years retraining. i would also have to take a step back in my career.
Despite all this I can't stop thinking about going. I feel that even if we ended up coming back at least we would have had the experience. He is adamant that it would leave us broke (it would!)and therefore is a risk not worth taking.
I would rather regret the things I HAVE done, rather than regret the things I HAVE NOT done....
Old May 3rd 2009, 11:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting comments here. I do regret coming of course and I regret that we had to abandon our move back in 06 to come back here until my wife's degree is finished. But that's love I guess

Can't quite fathom some of the anti Asian comments on here. Seems to be an automatic assumption that they are all unsklilled job taking parasites or something. My wife is Korean as you know and studies harder than anyone I've ever seen and has won an award from her uni and is now in a society that recognises outstanding academic achievement as she has never dropped below D but almost exclusively had HDs. She pays her taxes and works very hard in a highly demanding job and will do the same in the UK. Her English is not perfect but it's not bad either, but her work ethic is perfect. And when we are home she looks after and visits the older people in my Dad's bowling club and looks after my parents like they are her own. More than I could say for many Anglos.

For years, Melbourne was ranked 3rd most dangerous city in the world,
As someone who has lived in Colombia, and wider South America, this statement is truly, truly laughable.

Last edited by Tr1boy; May 3rd 2009 at 11:42 pm.
Old May 3rd 2009, 11:40 pm
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
Interesting comments here. I do regret coming of course and I regret that we had to abandon our move back in 06 to come back here until my wife's degree is finished. But that's love I guess

Can't quite fathom some of the anti Asian comments on here. Seems to be an automatic assumption that they are all unsklilled job taking parasites or something. My wife is Korean as you know and studies harder than anyone I've ever seen and has won an award from her uni and is now in a society that recognises outstanding academic achievement as she has never dropped below D but almost exclusively had HDs. She pays her taxes and works very hard in a highly demanding job and will do the same in the UK. Her English is not perfect but it's not bad either, but her work ethic is perfect. And when we are home she looks after and visits the older people in my Dad's bowling club and looks after my parents like they are her own. More than I could say for many Anglos.

As someone who has lived in Colobia, and wider South America, this statement is truly, truly laughable.

I'd totally agree with you on the work ethic of the Asians. It's impeccable. And the Polish too.
Old May 14th 2009, 5:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricket1
I'd totally agree with you on the work ethic of the Asians. It's impeccable. And the Polish too.
Yes and no.Asia is a very big continent and in certain countries the people can be inclined to ease of a bit.
Saying that it certainly does not apply to Koreans,Chinese and Japanese in the main.
Poles again yes but a number can also be inclined towards doing some dodgy business dealings as well.Nice fun people though.
Old May 15th 2009, 3:47 pm
Just Joined

mattie is just really nicemattie is just really nicemattie is just really nicemattie is just really nicemattie is just really nicemattie is just really nicemattie is just really nicemattie is just really nice

Hi folks

Dont bother with oz,its bland,boring and way overrated,there are dozens of other countries to live. why is everyone so obsessed with oz stop, being sheep !
Old May 15th 2009, 4:10 pm
Just Joined

mattie is just really nicemattie is just really nicemattie is just really nicemattie is just really nicemattie is just really nicemattie is just really nicemattie is just really nicemattie is just really nice

Originally Posted by folic
Agree with the above posts. Also, when we moved to Sydney after decades on the Gold Coast, I nearly fell over when went grocery shopping on arrival in Sydney. Bought the same items, yet in Sydney, I was paying close to a third more for them. Everything here is more expensive than in Queensland: stamp duty when we purchased a home, car rego, utilities bills, etc.

However, when we spent a few weeks on the Gold Coast recently, with an eye to buying something up there again, we noticed the Coast seems to have followed the capital cities and was on a par with Sydney prices as far as groceries and other items was concerned. I have my own theories about what's going on, but this isn't the forum for them.

The truth is, if someone is living comfortably in the UK, then they'll very probably have the resources to live comfortably in Australia. But, for those who're really struggling in the UK and therefore don't have much to bring to Oz, then they'll very probably struggle here, too.

I know that's not what those considering emigrating want to hear, but better to hear it before you move than after.

Long-term Aussies have been scratching their heads re: the alleged 'skills shortages' the government has been waffling on about for years as justification for bringing in more Asian and African unskilled migrants. What sort of 'skills shortage' situation can exist simultaneous with loads of long-term unemployed Aussies ?

The fact is, the Aussie government (controlled as it is by zionists abroad) wants to ramp up the Australian population by fair means or foul.

The banks have been dumping very experienced Aussie staff for years, under one guise after another, after which they've filled those places with Chinese and Indians. Customers have definitely felt the difference and few have felt it's been for the better.

In the past ten years, Aussies have had to become accustomed to a huge reduction in experienced Aussie supermarket employees, who've been replaced almost entirely by Indians. Again, the average Aussie preferred things the way they were. And ask: ' Why did this happen? Why doesn't Australia put it's own first ? '

So in other words, in my observation, there's been a concerted campaign to make Aussies redundant, in order to justify bringing in overseas migrants from the sub-continent and China -- most of whom have/had language difficulties and who are/were not skilled.

A lot of those Aussies forced from their jobs are/were unable (for all the above reasons) to find similar work elsewhere and become 'long term unemployed' and have been shuffled from one version of welfare to the next in order to fudge the unemployment figures. Many in their late 40s and in their 50s know they will never work again, unless they sell the house and 'buy themselves a job' i.e. open a small business knowing (because the government advises them so) that a small business goes broke, on average, every 11 minutes in Australia (at least I think that's the rule of thumb).

Australia continues to advertise in Britain, claiming there are loads of positions vacant in Australia which due to the 'skills shortage', cannot be filled by Aussies. But basically, it would appear there is substantial voter backlash at the huge number of non-English speaking unskilled migrants being brought into the country, which they periodically pretend to address by allowing UK migrants in. But it seems to me that Brit migrants are made by the Aussie government to jump through hoops of fire in order to get into Australia, while at the same time, unskilled Asians and Africans are brought in under the auspices of 'front' charitable and church organisations, behind which lurk the Usual Suspects.

Trust me .... Aussies would be happy to see millions of Brits come to Australia, to balance out the millions of non-english speaking, unskilled foreign migrant numbers ! Yes ... we would love to see a lot more Brits in Australia ! (this despite all the research showed, 20 years ago, that the maximum sustainable population in this land was 13 million). But ... as the puppet Aussie government seems hell-bent on creating water and resource shortages through unsustainable population numbers .. then the average Aussie would vote for Brit migrants every time.

At the same time, no Aussie would willingly advise a struggling Brit family to lay their futures, their peace of mind and every cent they possess on the line, if Australia cannot offer them at least a basic job and a basic home. No-one with any conscience would do that. Yet the Austraian government seems to be doing it.

For anyone considering moving to Australia -- do your research. Force yourself to look at the real picture. Listen to those who're trying to warn you. They're not doing it and risking making themselves unpopular in here for the fun of it. They don't gain anything from it. They're trying to save you from pain.

The Aussie government, like virtually every other government, does not tell the truth when it comes to unemployment. They juggle the figures. They put people on various welfare and training schemes as a way of eliminating them from the unemployment statistics. Yes, the Aussie government will lie to you. Those who live here and who are struggling or who have struggled can be relied upon far more than the Aussie government.

So don't see what you want to see when you research Australia. Stare the truth in the face. Consider the worst possible scenario and ask yourself if you can deal with that and if so, then sure, proceed. But 'living a dream', 'having an adventure' or 'seeking better lifestyle' will feel like ashes in your mouth if you can't put a roof over your family's heads or feed your children. And the beach will be precious little consolation for humiliation, hunger, desperation, and the feel of only a handful of change in your pocket at Christmas.

Yes i couldnt agree more ! whats so anoying is that most brits cant "try" oz for a good few months or a year to see if its for them simply because it buggers up your imployment record !! and the Aussie government wont like that !! hoop of fire number 1 !!
Old May 15th 2009, 4:26 pm
Just Joined

Both interesting replies, thanks.
I have thought about this long and hard.
When I first started researching the move (years ago) I had Aussie friends who spoke of how much better life was, how wages were better, quality of life was better and the weather was fabulous.
A few years on, I have done a lot of research and have a much more balanced view.
I know of people who have made the move and loved it, others who moved and hated it, plus quite a few in between who are ambivalent.
I know now that with the loss of equity in the house plus the exchxnge rate we would not have a lot of money. There would be no 4x2 in a great area for us. My husbands job doesn't transfer and so work for him could be a problem.
That leaves me with adventure and wanderlust
I have moved several times within the U.K searching for what I want but in the words of U2 I still haven't found what I'm looking for.
I'm very aware that I may never find it because I'm not completely sure what "it" is
Go travelling round the world for a year or more,you,ll get far ,far more out of it than any amount of years spent in boring oz !
Old May 15th 2009, 4:38 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Hutch
You know - if you put tin foil on your head, it keeps the aliens from 'talking' to you. P.S.

Do you seriously believe that bollocks? Fact is, I'd be happy to see an Indian or Chinese face looking back at me from behind the counter in one of our local banks, because all I do see is white Australians ... and I'm wondering if there's echoes of the white Australia policy (which I assume you're in favour of) at work here.

So - just to paraphrase your 'points' - Australia is buggered because of the filthy jews (controlling the media and indeed the whole goverment), the pakis (for throwing the entire banking profession out on their ears), the chinkies (for setting up cheap eateries and throwing the entire professional battererd sav and chicken salt professionals out on their ears) and the blacks - for ermm - being here first? Did I get that right?
Shut up you tit
Old May 16th 2009, 12:22 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mattie
Shut up you tit
**** off, troll.
Old May 16th 2009, 5:59 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Hutch
**** off, troll.
That about sums you up. twat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.