Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Those returning dont have the 'right attitude'

Those returning dont have the 'right attitude'

Old Sep 28th 2005, 11:50 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Those returning dont have the 'right attitude'

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Wildmark posted he and the wife had lived in canada but returned to the UK something to do with his wife missing family. I imagine the posts of people feeling isolated and cut off from family in australia must really concern him then given australias about three times the distance and airfare.
Yes, I knew he'd lived overseas, but didn't know the bit about why he'd returned.

I really don't see how his antagonism towards people on this section who are in that saem situation ties in with your theory about why he posts here - but if he doesn't reply to my question then we're really both just making educated guesses.
Old Sep 29th 2005, 8:16 am

MrsB is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wombat42
If you want to go home they have things called ' Aeroplanes' that fly for you, you don't actually need your own wings.
(Q) How do you know when a plane load of Poms have landed in OZ?
(A) The engines have stopped but you can still hear the Whining.
Helloooooooo

So you're back are you? I thought we'd got rid of you??? It's been a while? I wondered when you were coming out of your little grotty burrow?? Have you been hiding the last month??? Sulking - maybe????
Old Sep 29th 2005, 8:17 am
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kendodd
Helloooooooo

So you're back are you? I thought we'd got rid of you??? It's been a while? I wondered when you were coming out of your little grotty burrow?? Have you been hiding the last month??? Sulking - maybe????
awww bless...perhaps something to do with CRICKET...!!!!!!
lol......back with revenge eh Wombat...!!!
Old Sep 29th 2005, 8:39 am
BE Enthusiast

eurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud of

If you want to go home they have things called ' Aeroplanes' that fly for you, you don't actually need your own wings.
Oh come on... you can do better then that...you used that one already many times.....

mmmhhh I forgot ...you only know that one joke
Old Sep 29th 2005, 8:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Rochdale, then Toronto, then Preston now Tampa, Florida.
wildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to all

lol!
Old Sep 29th 2005, 12:36 pm

MrsB is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, we've heard that one before, can't you come up with something new??

Ok, if we're telling silly jokes....

What do you call a field of Irishmen? A PADDY FIELD.
What do you call a field full of Ozzies? A VACANT LOT

Sorry Pants and Emzee (excepting your DH's)!!!
Old Oct 1st 2005, 12:24 am
Forum Regular

themadstans is an unknown quantity at this point

I think what you call family has a lot to do with how well you settle. if you come from a very close extended family, some of whom you have left behind, then I should think the homesickness is really painful. Not so close then may be it's not as bad.

I've not emigrated yet, but those I am taking with me are who I class as family, so I am hoping that that will help.
Old Oct 1st 2005, 4:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Lizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to all

Originally Posted by themadstans
I think what you call family has a lot to do with how well you settle. if you come from a very close extended family, some of whom you have left behind, then I should think the homesickness is really painful. Not so close then may be it's not as bad.
I think that's generally true. However in my case (I am not close to family back home) my homesickness is for the UK, and a feeling that I would rather live in the UK over the US.
Everyone's different however, I don't know where you're moving to, but all the best with your move.
Old Oct 1st 2005, 6:28 am
Badge

Originally Posted by wildmark
Just can't understand why your on this website that's all
People like posting on Expats because it becomes much more than a UK/Aussie thing. Its nice to discuss and debate everything and anything and life itself..

Badge

Old Oct 2nd 2005, 11:09 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by janeyray
It makes me quite angry when I read that people who don't stay in the country they choose to emmigrate to mustn't have the right attitude.

I read from many posters who are yet waiting to go/or those that are settled and living quite happily in thier new chosen country that if you want to return or don't like where you are then it's all about attitude?

What is the right attitude then? Are they saying that as soon as we land that we aren't prepared to work? we aren't prepared to live a different way/to adapt to their culture? that we aren't prepared to leave the Uk behind? What?..what is then that makes the right attitude???

I think my family certainly had the 'same' attitude that the thousands of migrants that leave the UK each day have. We planned for ages, did our research, did everything the same as everyone else, we didnt do anything different.

When we arrived we did the same as everyone else, made friends (Aussie and British) hubby got a job, daughter started school, we bought a house, we got on with our lives in Perth. We didnt have a different attitude towards Australia that singled us out as a definate to return to the UK. Homesickness isn't a fault, it isn't an attitude problem.

Everything we did in our plans to go to Australia were the same as thousands of others...it's just plain and simple... you either like it or you dont, there is no hidden secret as to why some stay and some don't. It doesn't matter what type of person you are and what type of attitude you have...what rubbish.

hiya janeyray,
i dont usually come in here.....but for some reason i was drawn today!
good for you....its one of the annoying things about this forum is that many posters seem to think that there is some template that we should all fit that will dictate whether you settle or not. same as when people start saying you shouldnt emigrate without having visited at least once/accusing people of having rose tinted specs/will we survive on our half a million £........yadda yadda!!

like you say, life is too short.......each to their own.....why the hell should anyone have to justify any beleifs they hold to anyone other than themselves!

sue
Old Oct 2nd 2005, 6:03 pm

merlotsmum is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tiredwithtwins
hiya janeyray,
i dont usually come in here.....but for some reason i was drawn today!
good for you....its one of the annoying things about this forum is that many posters seem to think that there is some template that we should all fit that will dictate whether you settle or not. same as when people start saying you shouldnt emigrate without having visited at least once/accusing people of having rose tinted specs/will we survive on our half a million £........yadda yadda!!

like you say, life is too short.......each to their own.....why the hell should anyone have to justify any beleifs they hold to anyone other than themselves!

sue
Well said Sue

Like those that call me a Bomerang Pom, I can't stand that, I am just someone who is lucky enough to be able to live in two countries in the world, the rest has little to do with anyone else . . . as long as me and my mob are OK.

MM
Old Oct 7th 2005, 7:44 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

There was no way I was stopping two years, 16 months was enough. I have Aussie Nationality anyway so didint need to stay the two years...BUT why put yourself through two years if you know you're not going to return to live permanently? To some I'm sure doing two years would seem like a prison centence?

I also didn't feel isolated in Perth because of where it was, I felt isolated due to my friends and family being in a different country, no matter how far away.

Some people may only take a few months to realise that Oz isnt for them and so return, I certainly knew very soon after landing, although circumstances led us to stay longer to arrange flights etc for our pets. I can imagine for some a few months there is a few months to long,

and I'm sure when they sold up their lives in the UK they were 100% as you are about emmigrating.
I know this is an old post but you mentioned flying your pets back to the UK. Did they have to do quarentine and if so how long?
Old Oct 19th 2005, 7:43 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by arkon
I know this is an old post but you mentioned flying your pets back to the UK. Did they have to do quarentine and if so how long?
No our pets didnt do quarantine because we had their injections for Rabies done 7 months before we left OZ. If you dont leave enough time then they have to make up the time in quarantine back here in the UK.

The way it works is on the Pets Passport Scheme. You have to prepare your pets at least 7 months in advance, blood tests then Rabies vaccines. Only then can they travel back here without any type of quarantine at all. If however you wanted to leave Oz in a hurry with your pets then they can come back but have to do six months quarantine here. The vaccines are expensive but not as expensive as quarantine!
Old Oct 19th 2005, 10:30 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

No our pets didnt do quarantine because we had their injections for Rabies done 7 months before we left OZ. If you dont leave enough time then they have to make up the time in quarantine back here in the UK.

The way it works is on the Pets Passport Scheme. You have to prepare your pets at least 7 months in advance, blood tests then Rabies vaccines. Only then can they travel back here without any type of quarantine at all. If however you wanted to leave Oz in a hurry with your pets then they can come back but have to do six months quarantine here. The vaccines are expensive but not as expensive as quarantine!
Thanks Janeray, We did have passports for them both when we left the UK but they were lost in transit or at the Sydney quarentine center. Not sure what to do now, I wonder if you can het them reissued? Seems a bit cruel to get them rabies jabbed again.