Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Those returning dont have the 'right attitude'

Those returning dont have the 'right attitude'

Old Sep 24th 2005, 10:04 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of
Default Re: Those returning dont have the 'right attitude'

Originally Posted by dunroving
I was wondering whether 25 years takes you past retirement age? I seem to remember way back when I first took out a mortgage in the UK (late 80's), that lenders were reluctant to give you a mortgage term extending past your retirement age. Conversely, here in the US, it really doesn't seem to be an issue - my current 30 year mortgage would take me past my 75th birthday!

Just looking ahead to when I try to get back on the ladder in the UK, whether this is no longer an issue with UK lenders. Prices are bad enough as they are without having to cram payments into a 15-year term!

Ohh, not sure about that one. In 25 years time (well 24 now) hubby will still be below the 65 year retirement age for men but I will be 62 and women retire here at 60...don't they? For now anyway!

A friend of mine who has recently got divorced is taking out another mortgage and thats for 30 years. That will definitely take her over retirement age.
Old Sep 24th 2005, 10:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

psb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
I was wondering whether 25 years takes you past retirement age? I seem to remember way back when I first took out a mortgage in the UK (late 80's), that lenders were reluctant to give you a mortgage term extending past your retirement age. Conversely, here in the US, it really doesn't seem to be an issue - my current 30 year mortgage would take me past my 75th birthday!

Just looking ahead to when I try to get back on the ladder in the UK, whether this is no longer an issue with UK lenders. Prices are bad enough as they are without having to cram payments into a 15-year term!

maybe just get a small house and pay "sausage and mash".......that appeals to me
Old Sep 25th 2005, 1:34 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by psb182
maybe just get a small house and pay "sausage and mash".......that appeals to me
The way prices are, I don't have enough sausage or mash even to buy a small one without a mortgage... price I'm paying for 20 years of an expat life ... be lucky if I have enough of a pension to eat sausage and mash during retirement either.
Old Sep 26th 2005, 12:36 pm
Badge

Originally Posted by janeyray
Ohh, not sure about that one. In 25 years time (well 24 now) hubby will still be below the 65 year retirement age for men but I will be 62 and women retire here at 60...don't they? For now anyway!

A friend of mine who has recently got divorced is taking out another mortgage and thats for 30 years. That will definitely take her over retirement age.
Doesn't the EU make it sexist for women to retire at a different age to men? I thought it was uniform 60/65. I did EU law at Uni, can't remember a thing now..

Badge

Old Sep 26th 2005, 12:56 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Badge
Doesn't the EU make it sexist for women to retire at a different age to men? I thought it was uniform 60/65. I did EU law at Uni, can't remember a thing now..

Badge
There's a cut off date, don't know what it is, but you can only retire at 60 if you were born before that date. I know that by the time I'm up for retirement it will be 65 like the men.
Old Sep 26th 2005, 2:49 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladyofthelake
You can add the good ol' USA to that aswell. I've lived in Hong Kong myself, and no one expected us to suddenly become Chinese, talk Cantonese and eat only Chinese food whilst we were there. Yet here, we are expected to become totally integrated and be like the locals purely because we speak the same language.

I would say as an American that because we are a nation of immigrants (legal and otherwise, ) that it more often would lead to the expectation of "fitting in." Would I expect you to give up your heritage, no, would I expect you to be open to what the US has to offer? Yes. Be liek the locals? Hell I come from a different part of the US and I'm not like the locals!!
I've lived in two other countries on the continent myself and while English was not the first language of either country (didn't expect it would or should be) I am richer for the experience.
Old Sep 26th 2005, 8:23 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
I would say as an American that because we are a nation of immigrants (legal and otherwise, ) that it more often would lead to the expectation of "fitting in." Would I expect you to give up your heritage, no, would I expect you to be open to what the US has to offer? Yes. Be liek the locals? Hell I come from a different part of the US and I'm not like the locals!!
I've lived in two other countries on the continent myself and while English was not the first language of either country (didn't expect it would or should be) I am richer for the experience.
Actually, I think it's the prospective expats on boards like this who have the (too) high expectations of us fully integrating. Sometimes people can make vast assumptions about how little you have integrated into your new country just because you still like to use salad cream and want to know if you can buy it somewhere.
Old Sep 26th 2005, 8:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Vancouver, BC (originally from Huddersfield, W. Yorkshire)
adele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Those returning dont have the 'right attitude'

Originally Posted by ladyofthelake
still like to use salad cream and want to know if you can buy it somewhere.
I know you can buy salad cream in Canada and I will buy it. I will be very Canuck in other ways though!!! And I already have a maple leaf tattooed on my left thigh
Old Sep 28th 2005, 11:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Rochdale, then Toronto, then Preston now Tampa, Florida.
wildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to all

It makes me quite angry when I read that people who don't stay in the country they choose to emmigrate to mustn't have the right attitude.

I read from many posters who are yet waiting to go/or those that are settled and living quite happily in thier new chosen country that if you want to return or don't like where you are then it's all about attitude?

What is the right attitude then? Are they saying that as soon as we land that we aren't prepared to work? we aren't prepared to live a different way/to adapt to their culture? that we aren't prepared to leave the Uk behind? What?..what is then that makes the right attitude???

I think my family certainly had the 'same' attitude that the thousands of migrants that leave the UK each day have. We planned for ages, did our research, did everything the same as everyone else, we didnt do anything different.

When we arrived we did the same as everyone else, made friends (Aussie and British) hubby got a job, daughter started school, we bought a house, we got on with our lives in Perth. We didnt have a different attitude towards Australia that singled us out as a definate to return to the UK. Homesickness isn't a fault, it isn't an attitude problem.

Everything we did in our plans to go to Australia were the same as thousands of others...it's just plain and simple... you either like it or you dont, there is no hidden secret as to why some stay and some don't. It doesn't matter what type of person you are and what type of attitude you have...what rubbish.

Sorry, but I can't believe your winging about people winging, whats the point, your back - it did not work thats fine your happy now and I think that's all that matter's but why bother coming on here and winging about it, no wonder the Australians hate 'winging Poms'
Old Sep 28th 2005, 11:38 am

MrsB is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wildmark
Sorry, but I can't believe your winging about people winging, whats the point, your back - it did not work thats fine your happy now and I think that's all that matter's but why bother coming on here and winging about it, no wonder the Australians hate 'winging Poms'
I wish we did have wings - then we'd all fly home.....

as for 'whingeing' poms.....
Old Sep 28th 2005, 11:43 am
BE Enthusiast

wildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to all

Originally Posted by kendodd
I wish we did have wings - then we'd all fly home.....

as for 'whingeing' poms.....

Thanks for the spelling lesson, it's not a word I think much about
Old Sep 28th 2005, 1:09 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by wildmark
Sorry,

Don't be sorry, you have nothing to be sorry for.

Are you or are you not...whinging about me, whinging about other people whinging?
Old Sep 28th 2005, 1:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Always21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond repute

Are you or are you not...whinging about me, whinging about other people whinging?
Superb comeback
Old Sep 28th 2005, 1:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Don't be sorry, you have nothing to be sorry for.

Just can't understand why your on this website that's all
Old Sep 28th 2005, 1:43 pm
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute

And why are you??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.