Those English Summer Traditions

Old Jun 22nd 2006, 1:31 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Those English Summer Traditions

Just looked at the Sky News website and was reminded that today is Ladies Day at Royal Ascot.

It was always amusing to see the outlandish hats and dresses that some women were wearing. As far as I know there really isn't anything similar elsewhere in the world apart from at the Melbourne Cup race in Oz.

Other traditions from home include the Henley Regatta.....we were invited once on a corporate 'jolly' (at which I got v. drunk drinking champagne all day...well it was our wedding anniversary to boot!) and you can't wear a dress with a hemline above the knee. I didn't have a clue about the rowing races - lots of teams from the Ivy League colleges were there - but it was a lot of fun.

Of course it will be Wimbledon soon and the BBC and newspapers always show people queuing up to get in, eating (overpriced) strawberries and cream.....and tarps being pulled across the grass because it is raining LOL!

I'm not going 'home' this Summer (have to go to Wales in October for a cousins wedding instead) and I think I will miss those English eccentricities.....

Here's the hats.....

http://www.sky.com/skynews/picture_g...225449,00.html

PS: I bet Elvira misses the opera at Glyndebourne! (why isn't there a wine/champagne icon....beer just won't do!)

Last edited by Englishmum; Jun 22nd 2006 at 1:34 pm.
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 2:40 pm
Being myself

peterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Those English Summer Traditions

Damn, I really miss those balmy monday evenings at Newmarket, knocking back over-priced champagne, losing money on a donkey and watching all the Tristams and Cordelias spend their daddy's money.
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 2:50 pm
strangely floppy..

CarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Just looked at the Sky News website and was reminded that today is Ladies Day at Royal Ascot.

It was always amusing to see the outlandish hats and dresses that some women were wearing. As far as I know there really isn't anything similar elsewhere in the world apart from at the Melbourne Cup race in Oz.

Other traditions from home include the Henley Regatta.....we were invited once on a corporate 'jolly' (at which I got v. drunk drinking champagne all day...well it was our wedding anniversary to boot!) and you can't wear a dress with a hemline above the knee. I didn't have a clue about the rowing races - lots of teams from the Ivy League colleges were there - but it was a lot of fun.

Of course it will be Wimbledon soon and the BBC and newspapers always show people queuing up to get in, eating (overpriced) strawberries and cream.....and tarps being pulled across the grass because it is raining LOL!

I'm not going 'home' this Summer (have to go to Wales in October for a cousins wedding instead) and I think I will miss those English eccentricities.....

Here's the hats.....

PS: I bet Elvira misses the opera at Glyndebourne! (why isn't there a wine/champagne icon....beer just won't do!)
I always liked watching Oxford v Cambridge rowing every year..
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 3:46 pm
Being myself

peterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond repute

Jemima and Henrietta show that they like a bit of rough stuck to their heads:

Old Jun 22nd 2006, 3:50 pm
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not going 'home' this Summer (have to go to Wales in October for a cousins wedding instead)
You have my condolences
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 4:17 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CarlM
I always liked watching Oxford v Cambridge rowing every year..

Aaaahhhh - Putney!!!
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 7:26 pm
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

Here's the hats.....

My dad just told me that my sister went to that today, I'd love to see a photo of her in her hat!
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 7:28 pm
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Englishmum]I'm not going 'home' this Summer (have to go to Wales in October for a cousins wedding instead) and I think I will miss those English eccentricities.....

Where in Wales are you headed?
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 7:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by peterbainham
Jemima and Henrietta show that they like a bit of rough stuck to their heads:

I bet they're chavettes.
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 9:27 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Those English Summer Traditions

[QUOTE=blaze]

Where in Wales are you headed?
They live in Saundersfoot and getting married at the local C of E church (which is very old and pretty) but the wedding reception will be at an hotel on the cliff at Tenby....will probably stay there myself.

My husband's brother lives in Aberystwyth in a huge house on the cliff but he and his wife are nutters - green witches - so we avoid them LOL! In fact we've never been to their house after I got food poisoning at their other house in Lampeter....
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 9:43 pm
Being myself

My husband's brother lives in Aberystwyth in a huge house on the cliff but he and his wife are nutters - green witches - so we avoid them LOL! In fact we've never been to their house after I got food poisoning at their other house in Lampeter....
What's a green witch? Do they only use free range newts in their potions?
Old Jun 23rd 2006, 12:52 am
Blondie22

[QUOTE=Englishmum]
Originally Posted by blaze

They live in Saundersfoot and getting married at the local C of E church (which is very old and pretty) but the wedding reception will be at an hotel on the cliff at Tenby....will probably stay there myself.

Well at least you're going to a nice area of Wales, Tenby and Saundersfoot are lovely.
Old Jun 23rd 2006, 1:02 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Just when you thought it was safe to have a quiet pint down the pub on a Summers Evening..... Hey Nonny F**king No.

Old Jun 23rd 2006, 1:07 am
Mad bugger

peacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond reputepeacelover has a reputation beyond repute

Or even............
Attached Thumbnails Those English Summer Traditions-maypole.gif  
Old Jun 23rd 2006, 1:12 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by peacelover
Or even............
LOL, I'm only kidding really.... I'm not keen on them personally, but it's quintessentialy English Or is that British? Do they have Morris Dancers in Scotland and Wales?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.