Riots in the UK

Old Aug 9th 2011, 8:25 pm
Forum Regular

paulward50 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Riots in the UK

I fear it's only a matter of time until it sparks somewhere this side of the pond. All those arrested should be shipped out to Afghanistan and see if they want to run riots through the streets there. Cowards.
Old Aug 9th 2011, 8:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

randomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Riots in the UK

Couldn't agree more! They're scumbags who aren't even rioting for a cause - all they're doing is stealing, attacking people and trashing the place.
Old Aug 9th 2011, 9:03 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

I've been watching the youtube videos of the Ealing riots, as I used to live there. The one I just watched had some closeups of people looking very pleased with themselves for what they're doing.

I'm glad we're not still trying to sell our old house there...
Old Aug 9th 2011, 9:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Only visiting my husband here in Glasgow at the moment, and have to say I don't really comprehend the way police are reacting to this situation. I don't understand why they aren't using the force necessary to prevent this stupidity from occurring. I don't condone police violence, but there does come a point when its almost necessary for the protection of society.
Old Aug 9th 2011, 9:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

randomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of light

They all look very pleased with themselves, they clearly have no shame. They're not starving people stealing bread to feed their families, they're just thugs out to take whatever they can get, whether that's stuff from shops or regular hardworking people. I saw an article today with a photo of a guy having the clothes off his back stolen from him! How much worse is this going to get?

The worst thing is the police don't seem to be able to do anything about it...
Old Aug 9th 2011, 9:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass
Only visiting my husband here in Glasgow at the moment, and have to say I don't really comprehend the way police are reacting to this situation. I don't understand why they aren't using the force necessary to prevent this stupidity from occurring. I don't condone police violence, but there does come a point when its almost necessary for the protection of society.
Yep, as far as I'm concerned the police should be using all force necessary. As it is, the looting and violence is going on right in front of the cops and the scum are getting away with it. Even those who get charged will probably just get a slap on the wrist... The longer they let it go on, the worse it's going to get.
Old Aug 9th 2011, 9:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

CelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by randomgirl
Yep, as far as I'm concerned the police should be using all force necessary. As it is, the looting and violence is going on right in front of the cops and the scum are getting away with it. Even those who get charged will probably just get a slap on the wrist... The longer they let it go on, the worse it's going to get.
Yes, this English recreational looting and rioting makes Glasgow seem quite civilized.
Old Aug 9th 2011, 9:51 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Stretched to thin on the ground. Simple as that.

When you've had a huge number of police being reduced in size, protesters/rioters able to move around via twitter etc so quickly that the cops aren't able to get around, never mind to get ahead of this. It isn't a surprise.

Anyway, it's what insurance is for. I'd personally rather the police took a softer approach than shoot or beat some unfortunate innocent person up, and they can go arrest these dick heads later with the evidence gathered rather than flair things up with more of a stand off approach.

Because that worked so well in LA with the Rodney King riots etc.
Old Aug 9th 2011, 9:59 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Haven't we already got about 6 threads going on this topic!!
Old Aug 9th 2011, 10:05 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps, but since this one isn't in Take it Outside it shall remain polite
Old Aug 9th 2011, 10:06 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by avanutria
For how long LOL
Old Aug 9th 2011, 10:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by avanutria
Well hopefully it will remain on topic.....
Old Aug 9th 2011, 10:39 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by randomgirl
Couldn't agree more! They're scumbags who aren't even rioting for a cause - all they're doing is stealing, attacking people and trashing the place.
I don't think it's that simple. While I'm sure many of the rioters are just using this as an excuse to riot and loot and cause mischief, there are other factors at play here.

I'm not condoning the rioters actions, but it was pretty obvious something like this was coming. Perceived cuts in the welfare state, unemployment, racial tensions, growing gap between the richest and poorest incomes, liberal education policies which have failed the kids, producing a generation of under-educated, unskilled people dependent on government hand-outs.

Let's look at the problem with the Met. It appears the police killed Duggan when he was not a threat and then tried to cover it up. Yes, the guy was not a choirboy, but that does not merit police execution.
The police are the largest armed gang operating in the UK, have a monopoly on force, and they act with impunity. I can cite numerous examples where they abuse their power and there are no repercussions. Corruption, blatant cover-ups etc. from Jean Charles de Menezes, Ian Tomlinson/Simon Harwood, the custody sergeant who threw the lady headfirst onto the concrete. I could go on and on.

You know me and you know that I think Britain became a police state a while back. I sympathize with blacks in London after they get stopped and searched time after time, living under constant surveillance. This would make me angry too.

I agree that destroying your own neighborhood is sheer idiocy, and I feel for the people who have lost their livelihoods and their homes. The same thing happened in LA, where the predominantly black population destroyed its own infrastructure. It's crazy.

Britain is still obsessed with class. Typical newspaper article will include the following - blah blah, said Mr Area Man in his 350,000 pound detached house with a Jaguar and a "4x4" parked in the driveway.
And a lot of British people are envious or resentful of others' success.
As an example, listen to these geniuses:

"Showing the rich people we can do what we want"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14458424

Last edited by Octang Frye; Aug 9th 2011 at 10:41 pm.
Old Aug 9th 2011, 10:44 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Stretched to thin on the ground. Simple as that.

When you've had a huge number of police being reduced in size, protesters/rioters able to move around via twitter etc so quickly that the cops aren't able to get around, never mind to get ahead of this. It isn't a surprise.

Anyway, it's what insurance is for. I'd personally rather the police took a softer approach than shoot or beat some unfortunate innocent person up, and they can go arrest these dick heads later with the evidence gathered rather than flair things up with more of a stand off approach.

Because that worked so well in LA with the Rodney King riots etc.
Yeah, I agree. Maybe if it rained, that would tamp things down.
Old Aug 9th 2011, 10:48 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulward50
I fear it's only a matter of time until it sparks somewhere this side of the pond.
too many guns and make my day laws.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.