RECENT TRIP TO ENGLAND

Old Aug 23rd 2010, 8:11 pm
Just Joined

niksha is a jewel in the roughniksha is a jewel in the roughniksha is a jewel in the roughniksha is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: RECENT TRIP TO ENGLAND

What did i start here!!!As respects to the guy who said that the m&s clothes were better and cheaper i definitely disagree. Almost everyone in the Uk said that clothes were cheaper in the usa than in the uk. Simple example - i was in footlocker in manchester and saw a hooded chicago bulls sweat shirt for 50uk pounds. here it is usally $50. Seemed as if eveything in dollars here was in pounds over there. Only thinG i found cheaper was the food and the beer.!!!health insurance is cheaper but how long does it take to get you into the docs??As i said, i was bprn and bred in Coventry and was there for 18yrs of my life so am not a UK hater. I am just delivering my perception after my first visit in 22 yrs. Now if we want to start anothert topic aboput the my visit to France, we can!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 8:20 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by niksha
What did i start here!!!As respects to the guy who said that the m&s clothes were better and cheaper i definitely disagree. Almost everyone in the Uk said that clothes were cheaper in the usa than in the uk. Simple example - i was in footlocker in manchester and saw a hooded chicago bulls sweat shirt for 50uk pounds. here it is usally $50. Seemed as if eveything in dollars here was in pounds over there. Only thinG i found cheaper was the food and the beer.!!!health insurance is cheaper but how long does it take to get you into the docs??As i said, i was bprn and bred in Coventry and was there for 18yrs of my life so am not a UK hater. I am just delivering my perception after my first visit in 22 yrs. Now if we want to start anothert topic aboput the my visit to France, we can!!!!!!!!!!!!!
$50 or £50 sounds like a lot of money for a sweat shirt. Especially when you are advertising a sports team. As for the doctors, I have to wait 3-4 months for an appointment with a moron who shouldn't be entrusted with sweeping the streets, never mind estimating my prostate health. It's hard to imagine it is any worse in England.

But yes, let's discuss France.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 8:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
I also wonder how the data is compiled.

For instance, donations to churches.. I'm an atheist so am not a member of a religious congregation here in the US, or in England. I don't give a tax-deductible "tithe" to a church or anything. But, I like visiting churches in England (to check out the rood screen or whatever..) I always put a few pounds in the donations box. Is that loose change actually compiled and included in this comparative data? How about when I go to visit a cathedral in England; most of them charge for entry, £5 often. Is that an entry fee, a charitable donation, or part one, part the other?
I suspect it depends if it is operated by the state or by the church and whether it is a voluntary contribution. Just like admission to the US parks system or museums would not be considered a charitable donation.

Last edited by Michael; Aug 23rd 2010 at 8:37 pm.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 8:40 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
I suspect it depends if it is operated by the state or by the church and whether it is a voluntary contribution. Just like money given to the US parks system would not be considered a charitable donation.
No, I don't think any churches in the UK are operated by the state. I mentioned the example of paying for entrance to cathedrals, because I think they are supposedly voluntary donations rather than an actual entry fee.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 8:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
No, I don't think any churches in the UK are operated by the state. I mentioned the example of paying for entrance to cathedrals, because I think they are supposedly voluntary donations rather than an actual entry fee.
Right, but you receive a "benefit" for your donation in that you get to look at the cathedral. In US tax terms, at least, the financial value of that "benefit" is not considered a charitable contribution.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 9:18 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishtart
So why do we think it has changed then? or is it just that we get used to the OTT customer service manners here in the US? I can't really comment, because I haven't been back in over 7 yrs, but I am hearing comments like these a lot recently. Is it just that the recession has made everybody miserable? or was it changing before this?
They should try living in Boston
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 9:27 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

But are you earning pounds or dollars? If your earning dollars, it doesn't matter what the exchange rate it, your not a tourist, so it's a 1:1 situation.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 12:15 am
Just Joined

niksha is a jewel in the roughniksha is a jewel in the roughniksha is a jewel in the roughniksha is a jewel in the rough

What are u on about if u are earning dollars or pounds?? Most people if they go on holidays browse around and see what things cost in other counties . therefore if the chicago sweathsirt would have been cheaper for me AFTER the conversion i surely would have bought it from the UK and bought it back to Portland OR. I Don't get your perspective on this to be honest mate.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 12:23 am
Just Joined

"But yes, let's discuss France"

Ok so i am l in the L'Ouvre" and since there are thousands of people in there I can't seem to locate the Mona Lisa. so i ask one of the employees" Hi can u point me to the mona lisa please" and he says "Bonjour" I say Hello, can u point me to the mona lisa?" he says "Bonjour" again. I ask him once more" Sir, can u please tell me where the mona lisa is?" and he says "Bonjour" again.Now i finally get it. I say "Bonjour Monsier, can u please tell me where the mona lisa is located?" and he immediately says "Go 20 feet and turn left and it is right there" WHAt a swine i said to myself. He was was forcing me to speak his language and was not gonna answer my question till i spoke french!! It was only then i recalled from all those years ago how the rest of the world "love" the french so so much!!!!!
Old Aug 24th 2010, 12:25 am

expatasia is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok so i am l in the L'Ouvre" and since there are thousands of people in there I can't seem to locate the Mona Lisa. so i ask one of the employees" Hi can u point me to the mona lisa please" and he says "Bonjour" I say Hello, can u point me to the mona lisa?" he says "Bonjour" again. I ask him once more" Sir, can u please tell me where the mona lisa is?" and he says "Bonjour" again.Now i finally get it. I say "Bonjour Monsier, can u please tell me where the mona lisa is located?" and he immediately says "Go 20 feet and turn left and it is right there" WHAt a swine i said to myself. He was was forcing me to speak his language and was not gonna answer my question till i spoke french!! It was only then i recalled from all those years ago how the rest of the world "love" the french so so much!!!!!
What, in France?
Old Aug 24th 2010, 12:27 am

expatasia is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't want to be too intrusive mate, but how come it took you 22 yrs to get back for a visit?
Old Aug 24th 2010, 12:33 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh my God.....he spoke in French!!!! Horrifying He had the cheek to speak his native language in his own country.

What is the world coming to
Old Aug 24th 2010, 12:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Oh my God.....he spoke in French!!!! Horrifying He had the cheek to speak his native language in his own country.

What is the world coming to
Cheek of the man!

It's actually called le Louvre, l'ouvre would mean something like 'the open'.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 12:40 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Cheek of the man!

It's actually called le Louvre, l'ouvre would mean something like 'the open'.
...the mouth and stick your foot in, maybe?
Old Aug 24th 2010, 12:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
...the mouth and stick your foot in, maybe?
exactement.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.