RECENT TRIP TO ENGLAND

Old Aug 23rd 2010, 6:04 pm
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: RECENT TRIP TO ENGLAND

Originally Posted by chrisbeale
As a Brit I think I fall into the 'not shiny-happy all the time, but genuine when needs be and the first to help in an emergency' category, and I can say it's true for a lot of us, but not true for some people I know who wouldn't put you out if they had a bucket of water and you were on fire (there's a phrase along the lines of this but probably against the rules ) and I can't speak for Americans really. I cannot fake being pleased, and sometimes even when I get the best present ever I'm still like "Oh, thanks" - I'm a miserable English git. But I'd happily jump into the proverbial for almost anyone in trouble.
I think the majority of english peeps would say the same..
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 6:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
I agree. I'm kinda sick of the glassy-eyed interactions at the supermarkets etc. that I frequent here.
"Hi how are you today."
"Did you find everything you needed."
"have a nice day."
If you present them with an actual problem or complaint, they've lost their place in the script.
Last time we were back in the UK, admittedly 2008, I was amazed to be having genuine conversations with strangers all the time - really fun. My husband has been over several times including twice this year and was greatky impressed by friendliness and sociability of the people there.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 7:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan725
I agree with Lisa, its all a bit swings and roundabouts.

While people in the UK might be grumpy buggers and not deliver your food with a smile, it feels more real to me. Come an emergency or something that is really important, I feel that more people there would be more inclined to lend a hand -but here in the US, where it's all well mannered surface smiles and very nice, come the day when help is really required, I wouldn't be surprised to be hearing crickets. But again, this is just a perception and all really depends on individuals, it's not a national thing.
The facts don't back that up. As a percentage of gdp, US residents give over 2x the amount as the Brits and 10x the amount of the French to charity.

http://www.jonholato.com/2007/06/26/...other-country/

Also the more conservative you are, the more you will likely give.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 7:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
The facts don't back that up. As a percentage of gdp, US residents give over 2x the amount as the Brits and 10x the amount of the French to charity.

That's so they can say they lent a hand but not actually do any work!
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 7:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

A tax-deductible donation is different from being there for somebody.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 7:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
A tax-deductible donation is different from being there for somebody.
47% of Americans don't pay federal income tax but are some of the biggest givers as a percentage of their income.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 7:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

50% of American don't pay federal income tax but are some of the biggest givers as a percentage of their income.
Does that include contributions to churches?
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 7:15 pm
Forum Regular

chrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to all

Well maybe we can say we are as kind as each other just that going with a stranger to a hospital for example is more public (and therefore noticable) act of generosity than donating to charity. Both are worthwhile. Although a bit of TLC is sometimes needed more than cash, New Orleans and Haiti come to mind. A bit of cash more than love is more needed in other situations; the recent Pakistan floods 'need' more British donations for instance.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 7:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I'm sure it does.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 7:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

And with some churches/religions, that isn't a choice
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 7:37 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

I also wonder how the data is compiled.

For instance, donations to churches.. I'm an atheist so am not a member of a religious congregation here in the US, or in England. I don't give a tax-deductible "tithe" to a church or anything. But, I like visiting churches in England (to check out the rood screen or whatever..) I always put a few pounds in the donations box. Is that loose change actually compiled and included in this comparative data? How about when I go to visit a cathedral in England; most of them charge for entry, £5 often. Is that an entry fee, a charitable donation, or part one, part the other?
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 7:39 pm
Forum Regular

VivDee has a spectacular aura aboutVivDee has a spectacular aura aboutVivDee has a spectacular aura about

Yes,I think the USA is a very giving country! Sadly it isn't always appreciated!!!.

Going back to England in 6 weeks.Looking forward to taking notes.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 7:49 pm
Forum Regular

chrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to all

Originally Posted by robin1234
I also wonder how the data is compiled.
How about when I go to visit a cathedral in England; most of them charge for entry, £5 often. Is that an entry fee, a charitable donation, or part one, part the other?
This reminds me of when I went to The Met in NYC and there's a 'suggested donation' of $10 I think. When the woman at the entrance asked us how much we'd like to 'donate' my friend didn't have any money so I said I'll cover it and got a 20 out. She looked at me blankly. So I put the bill under the perspex thingy and she kept staring at me.
"How much is your donation Sir?"
"O I'll pay 20 for both of us"
"How much is that each? How would you like me to split this Sir?"
"Ummm does it matter? 10 each, whatever, is that OK?"
"Well I need to put in the exact contribution per visitor"
"O right well I'd like to pay $10 for each of us"
"Are you together?"
"Liiiike 'together' together? No"
So she gave me $10 change for my 20 and I gave the $10 to my friend and he gave it to her.

We went through wondering whether it was us or her who was being an idiot. Probably all of us.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 7:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Yes it does. And to private educational establishments.

I do think Americans are generous in their charitable giving, but I would like to see the methodology of the country by country comparison before accepting it at face value.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 7:57 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Yes it does. And to private educational establishments.

I do think Americans are generous in their charitable giving, but I would like to see the methodology of the country by country comparison before accepting it at face value.
What about Private Family Foundations? I note that they can "provide continuing employment and activity for your family members. "

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.