Pocket knives and the UK

Old Dec 20th 2017, 1:36 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pocket knives and the UK

Nice idea on the "rescue tool" but it's not a legal knife in the UK - it has that hole in the blade that allows you to open it with one hand, and that makes it illegal.
Sorry, I had absolutely no idea, good job that you are up to speed!
Old Dec 20th 2017, 2:55 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expatrick
Sorry, I had absolutely no idea, good job that you are up to speed!
Things seem to have got more complicate

The good news is that the odds of him getting mown down by gunfire will be a lot lower in the UK.
Old Jan 6th 2018, 12:25 pm
Forum Regular

Farmhand is an unknown quantity at this point

I had a Swiss Army knife/ multi tool for about 20 years and always took it everywhere. When flying it always went in the hold until last year when I got to security at Geneva airport and realised it was in my jacket pocket. I put the jacket in the tray and hoped for the best but of course they picked it up. They had a good look at it opened all the tools up etc and seemed to be unsure whether it was OK to take onboard or not, after some measuring and a discussion with a supervisor they said no I couldn't take it so bye bye knife.

Once through security and airside I noticed a large Victorinox store selling a whole range of different Swiss Army knives. I found what looked like the equivalent to mine and asked the staff if I bought it could I take it on board - they looked at me and smiled saying "well of course that's why we sell them here"! - Make of that what you will.
Old Jan 6th 2018, 9:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Farmhand
I had a Swiss Army knife/ multi tool for about 20 years and always took it everywhere. When flying it always went in the hold until last year when I got to security at Geneva airport and realised it was in my jacket pocket. I put the jacket in the tray and hoped for the best but of course they picked it up. They had a good look at it opened all the tools up etc and seemed to be unsure whether it was OK to take onboard or not, after some measuring and a discussion with a supervisor they said no I couldn't take it so bye bye knife.

Once through security and airside I noticed a large Victorinox store selling a whole range of different Swiss Army knives. I found what looked like the equivalent to mine and asked the staff if I bought it could I take it on board - they looked at me and smiled saying "well of course that's why we sell them here"! - Make of that what you will.
Just a way to get you to buy a new Swiss Army knife after 20 years!
Old Jan 6th 2018, 9:16 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I have an update to my earlier posts. Last Tuesday we travelled to Carlisle to meet my sister and BIL who live in Kendal, for lunch. It's about half way between us.

After lunch my BIL ,who is a Magistrate, invited us to visit the Courthouse there. (There used to be a Courthouse in Kendall, but due to the ubiquitous cuts in public services here, there isn't anymore, so he has to travel To
Carlisle).

Fine. But there was (of course) a security check upon entry and I put my Swiss Army penknife into the tray thingy.

The lovely lady manning the desk grabbed it like a prize then made me fill out a bunch of forms, which I happily did. Assuming I'd retrieve it on exit.

But it turned out that to get the penknife back I would have to fill out a request form to have it returned, mail it to them and then wait for them to return it to me by mail.

FFS. It cost less than a stamp does today when I bought it.
Old Jan 6th 2018, 11:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

I just saw this thread for the first time today.

I remembered the knife that I used to carry around as a good girl guide in France 🇫🇷.

https://www.amazon.ca/Opinel-Knife-Carbon-Beechwood-Handle/dp/B004AMY6GS

I bet they wouldn’t be acceptable these days.