Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Apr 29th 2012, 12:05 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by jemima55
(Later) Me `n `im just spent the afternoon clearing out the basement, chucking out stuff, I may be returning as a minimalist!
It's an awful chore.
Dh and I did the attic, we have no basement. Him up in the roof shouting "do you want this?", me down the bottom of the ladder shouting "what?" We did get quite a few boxes out and cleared and sold some tools on the local facebook sales page. I even cleared the outdoor toys, gave them a wash and sold them too. All Dd has left outside now is the sandbox.
I keep wandering into Ds's room and planning my strategy. Once he moves, get rid of the bunk beds (a friend is interested) clear the closet, shampoo the carpet (may need ripping out) move spare bed in from Dd's room, add desk and computer to make an office. Then do it all with Dd's room and move all her toys in there from the living room. Got to get ready to list and sell. I'm itching to get going.
Old Apr 29th 2012, 1:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Almo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud of

Thanks for the warm welcome all, how lovely.

We're both 28, I work in project management (not at a particularly high level though, more admin!) and OH is in recruitment. One of our biggest concerns is that we left the UK when we were quite young and so have limited UK experience. I don't know anyone in the UK who is unemployed but the papers sure do make for scary reading sometimes and we're under no illusions that it will be easy to find work.

We're not sure where we're going back to (we're not sure of much are we?) but we're looking at Chester. We left Devon to move here, but don't want to go back there, would go to London if the job was right but otherwise not that fussed on London. Maybe Cambridge, but it's still expensive, so again would need to be because of a particular job I think.

Our house sale completed early this year so we are in rented and we are moving towards moving home, getting rid of stuff, planning, saving, researching but OH is just a bit less enthusiastic. I understand his reservations, we earn good money and have a good life here but I feel like I'm just treading water so I'm not really sure what the benefit of the good salaries is. It doesn't help that everyone we've told seems to be telling us to stay here, including his dad. I know why they're worried but if it doesn't work out in the UK we can move back here, it doesn't have to be forever, but no one seems to get that.

Anyway, sorry for waffling on, and apologies for the self-centred post, I need to go back and read through old posts so I can start commenting on other people's posts
Old Apr 29th 2012, 12:15 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the newbies and thank you for posting.

I wasn't one of the original few when this thread was started all that time ago by Trotty True but came here not that long after, so I consider myself one of the almost originals. That being said as will have been noticed the people that have made it back here are posting less and less as we settle into our new lives and of course we are not ex pats any longer as we have finally come home.

The feelings and thoughts we had about living in our adopted countries are slowly fading away and to me at least it seems almost like a dream.

A new injection of fresh blood is vital if this thread is to continue, this thread has helped SO MANY people this past few years and shouldn't be allowed to fade away into nothingness so it's up to you now, all you lurkers need to stop lurking and get typing!!
Old Apr 29th 2012, 12:50 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Jemima

"Him Indoors" has finally got the finger out and some progress has been made. I have put away my lethal weapons for the time being. Can you send your yard clean up team round here and then I can take that chore off my to do list.

Bee

Thank you for continuing to post. I especially like to read the posts of people who have returned as they are so inspiring. I agree, us long time lurkers need to post more. I was reluctant to post until our move was no longer covered by the "official secrets act".

I thought when we people found out about our move we would get the usual, "are you mad" comments, but so far we have had nothing but positive feedback from people on both sides of the pond. I guess they don't read the "Daily Fail"
Old Apr 29th 2012, 1:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

jemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to behold

If1, delighted you`re making some progress. Our team did a HUGE clean up, we live under trees and our roof was covered in branches and catkins,they cleaned it, mowed lawn, strimmed weeds, and charged me $125. I couldnt believe it. So, with newly restored kerb appeal, maybe the house will have more luck!
Old Apr 29th 2012, 3:14 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jemima55
If1, delighted you`re making some progress. Our team did a HUGE clean up, we live under trees and our roof was covered in branches and catkins,they cleaned it, mowed lawn, strimmed weeds, and charged me $125. I couldnt believe it. So, with newly restored kerb appeal, maybe the house will have more luck!
Good luck with the house sale. I can't wait until all this prep work is done and I can finally get a good nights sleep. I better get to the task at hand as I need to file our taxes before the end of April along with all this decluttering. Yikes!!!
Old Apr 29th 2012, 3:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almo
Thanks for the warm welcome all, how lovely.

We're both 28, I work in project management (not at a particularly high level though, more admin!) and OH is in recruitment. One of our biggest concerns is that we left the UK when we were quite young and so have limited UK experience. I don't know anyone in the UK who is unemployed but the papers sure do make for scary reading sometimes and we're under no illusions that it will be easy to find work.

We're not sure where we're going back to (we're not sure of much are we?) but we're looking at Chester. We left Devon to move here, but don't want to go back there, would go to London if the job was right but otherwise not that fussed on London. Maybe Cambridge, but it's still expensive, so again would need to be because of a particular job I think.

Our house sale completed early this year so we are in rented and we are moving towards moving home, getting rid of stuff, planning, saving, researching but OH is just a bit less enthusiastic. I understand his reservations, we earn good money and have a good life here but I feel like I'm just treading water so I'm not really sure what the benefit of the good salaries is. It doesn't help that everyone we've told seems to be telling us to stay here, including his dad. I know why they're worried but if it doesn't work out in the UK we can move back here, it doesn't have to be forever, but no one seems to get that.

Anyway, sorry for waffling on, and apologies for the self-centred post, I need to go back and read through old posts so I can start commenting on other people's posts
Hi Almo.

Self centered post not at all, I asked you questions and you gave answers.

28 is a good age, I don't think you will have much trouble finding work, you sound easy to please as far as location goes and that means a lot sometimes.

Listening to other people, Not wanting you to go back, Huhhhh I know I've listened to people in the past and I can tell you its not done me much good, people have biased opinions, My Dad really pushed for me to stay here, and well looking back I wished I hadn't done it, my parents have passed on and I'm left here, be sure to look way in the future when making these major decisions.

Today I'm a very big believer in listening to yourself, your gut feeling plus of course your spouse.

At your age a major concern would be children, if you are planning on having them you really need to decide what to do, kids change everything, they can cause a lot of heartache when the family moves around the world.

Salaries, most people seem to spend what they earn and adjust accordingly, money is important but I would place peace of mind higher on the list.

Good Luck to you.
Old Apr 29th 2012, 3:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Beedubya;10031358]Welcome to the newbies and thank you for posting.

I wasn't one of the original few when this thread was started all that time ago by Trotty True but came here not that long after, so I consider myself one of the almost originals. That being said as will have been noticed the people that have made it back here are posting less and less as we settle into our new lives and of course we are not ex pats any longer as we have finally come home.

The feelings and thoughts we had about living in our adopted countries are slowly fading away and to me at least it seems almost like a dream.

A new injection of fresh blood is vital if this thread is to continue, this thread has helped SO MANY people this past few years and shouldn't be allowed to fade away into nothingness so it's up to you now, all you lurkers need to stop lurking and get typing!![/QUOTE]

Well said Barb, we all learn from each other, everyone has something important to say, jump in folks, the door is open...
Old Apr 29th 2012, 4:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

My half sister in England (who is not much help at all!) told me that I would have trouble finding even a council house to take two cats and two small dogs. Is this true? I thought the UK was a nation of pet lovers.
Old Apr 29th 2012, 4:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

I am surprised to see so few of the "oldies" here. There used to be two CPAs, Cheers and Pete I believe. Are they still here?

Just saw a recent post from Cheers, but what about Pete?
Old Apr 29th 2012, 5:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Anna inspired me too!! I wish she would get back on here for an update.

Please let her know I send her my regards and best wishes and a big thank you for helping me to take the plunge.
Hi Bee!!!

How's it going in the UK? Glad you made the move? I think it's been almost a year, hasn't it?
Old Apr 29th 2012, 5:59 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

fish & chips, I think that is good advice - listen to your gut feeling. that is what we are doing and it just feels right. I have a very nice existence here, but I want to start living again. I just feel more alive when I am I the UK and am surrounded by the beautiful landscapes, architecture etc.
Old Apr 29th 2012, 7:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lf1
fish & chips, I think that is good advice - listen to your gut feeling. that is what we are doing and it just feels right. I have a very nice existence here, but I want to start living again. I just feel more alive when I am I the UK and am surrounded by the beautiful landscapes, architecture etc.
A very nice existence, thats exactly how I feel too, but Im tired of spinning my wheels and want to feel normal again.

The landscape and other features, oh yes Im with you all the way...
Old Apr 29th 2012, 7:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
I am surprised to see so few of the "oldies" here. There used to be two CPAs, Cheers and Pete I believe. Are they still here?

Just saw a recent post from Cheers, but what about Pete?
Well stone the crows look what the cat brought in

Where have you been my dear??
We have had the police, CIA and everyone else out looking for you.
You will have to provide someone with your email address so if you go wandering off we can find you. I know you probably wanted to keep a low profile after winning the Lottery.
I think you got another good job, if I remember correctly.
What is your status as far as going back to England?

Cheers
Old Apr 29th 2012, 8:51 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
My half sister in England (who is not much help at all!) told me that I would have trouble finding even a council house to take two cats and two small dogs. Is this true? I thought the UK was a nation of pet lovers.
No it's not true. Some landlords are fine with pets and others are not. We have rented a very nice house in tip top condition and the landlord was fine with our two cats. We also had offers in on two other lovely houses that were also OK with pets, but lost them for other reasons. But we did come across some properties where pets were not accepted - even when we offered a bigger deposit. Every landlord is different, but you'll find somewhere.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.