Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Dec 29th 2010, 1:17 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by windsong
I was in the local grocery store today and, lo and behold, I saw something there I have never seen them stock before - PG Tips teabags! I grabbed two boxes lol! I came home, made a full pot of tea and drank the whole thing by myself lol! They must have picked up my vibes recently
So you'll be here all night keeping us amused
Old Dec 29th 2010, 1:21 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by cheers
But then the good news is you have a couple of pensions

I had a friend in Las Vegas who was from the UK and he retired from the RAF and he got no pension. Something wrong there. I hope you faired better than he did.

Cheers -No, I got nothing from the RAF, but I worked for the Army as a civilian for 32 years.! So, State plus the MOD one, still only comes to 1K a month - for two of us to live on! So will be eligible for Pension Credit, automatically. And as a consequence, a Council tax rebate.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 1:21 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
I actually share a town house, and I am leaving my furniture for my roommate, dont really have much. I will pay for extra baggage online its cheaper. I think I will end up with 4 suitcases, 1 large and 3 medium. I just hope they have porters at Heathrow to help me, because I am not really supposed to be lifting anything over 10 pounds..OH well, I am sure I will be able to get help at baggage claim.
Jackie..
You better weigh the suitcases and make sure they aren't overweight, they were being really strict on weight when Ds flew BA. it would be cheaper to add one more case to put all the excess into than pay over on each case.
And have them do all the lifting, let them know you are post surgery and unable to life more than your hand luggage without causing pain and damage. Take a letter from the surgeon.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 1:22 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Poor woman she'll freeze to death.
Mummy -Yes, I agree, but just think - with her good looks, we shall be buying the Rolls Royce I have my eye on! - I jest!
Old Dec 29th 2010, 1:29 am
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
You better weigh the suitcases and make sure they aren't overweight, they were being really strict on weight when Ds flew BA. it would be cheaper to add one more case to put all the excess into than pay over on each case.
And have them do all the lifting, let them know you are post surgery and unable to life more than your hand luggage without causing pain and damage. Take a letter from the surgeon.
Thanks Mummy, I will do that..I have no way of checking the weight, but I will spread everything out, and hopefully they wont be over..
Old Dec 29th 2010, 1:45 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Cheers -No, I got nothing from the RAF, but I worked for the Army as a civilian for 32 years.! So, State plus the MOD one, still only comes to 1K a month - for two of us to live on! So will be eligible for Pension Credit, automatically. And as a consequence, a Council tax rebate.
Don, is that 1,000 UK pounds or 1,000 of whatever currency is used in Thailand. I am assuming that's per month, too, whatever it is.

Did you ever inquire about that nice house you saw, the one for which you posted a link a few weeks ago?
Old Dec 29th 2010, 1:58 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Is no one else thinking of shipping furniture back?

Some of our stuff needs to go anyway, and isn't worth shipping back, but we also have some nice things and when I look at the costs of replacing them, shipping seems more economical. We're going to need furniture at the other end, so why buy it all afresh?

I guess I have to get a quote to see which makes the most sense, but just looking at the cost of stuff in the UK, I suspect we will ship some things.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 2:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Lorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons

Some of our stuff needs to go anyway, and isn't worth shipping back, but we also have some nice things and when I look at the costs of replacing them, shipping seems more economical. We're going to need furniture at the other end, so why buy it all afresh?

I guess I have to get a quote to see which makes the most sense, but just looking at the cost of stuff in the UK, I suspect we will ship some things.
My concern is that my furniture is on the large side due to my apartment being fairly large so I am concerned with it fitting in a smaller UK home. None of my family has a sofa as large as mine or a chair and a half and from seeing the size of the type of home I could afford back in the UK I know the furniture would be just too big!! Better to sell/get rid of it and buy anew in the UK in my case at least.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 2:38 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Sallysimmons and Lorac....There are certain pieces of furniture that I will not be taking back with me. My sofa is much to big but I do have a chair that I love and some bookcases and a few other things. So I will be taking the smaller items back with me that I know will fit into a much smaller house. I will have to buy a new bed and sofa but I shall look around the charity shops before I decide.... the mattress will be new
Old Dec 29th 2010, 2:39 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

I must ask my friend what shipping agent she used she said they did a really bad job. That was just a few months ago.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 2:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Don, is that 1,000 UK pounds or 1,000 of whatever currency is used in Thailand. I am assuming that's per month, too, whatever it is.

Did you ever inquire about that nice house you saw, the one for which you posted a link a few weeks ago?
No Windsong that is UK Pounds per month.. - Fortunately, the houses I look at, are only if I found something smaller, ideally located for us, then I might have been tempted. I have a four bed detached, which hopefully, will be ready for us - but as I had it rented out, no furniture in it.-- (Council tax is £1,400 a year) -- that is all here, and we cannot sell it, As the folks about, are too poor to buy. Sold some things - for a pittance. (hence the 1K, and then we already paid for the flights.) - so whatever, my Son in Law Attorney, has been accruing the rental for 12 months, so hopefully, enough for some furniture and an old car. (Ford Focus, I hope. 1.6 - cheap insurance and road tax)- I'm a bit apprehensive. dontheturner
Old Dec 29th 2010, 2:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Sally, The monthly General Auctions in the UK, have lovely cheap furniture - I don't mean the Antique Sales, they ARE expensive. I still wonder why folks ship Furniture. We are leaving all of it here. The Salvation Army Shops, sell smashing stuff . much of it is new, and so do the Sue Ryder Foundation. Have a look at www.suiteexchange.co.uk and also www.furnishyourhome.co.uk both very good value for money. Not Argos, nor Harveys. love dontheturner
Old Dec 29th 2010, 3:35 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dontheturner
No Windsong that is UK Pounds per month.. - Fortunately, the houses I look at, are only if I found something smaller, ideally located for us, then I might have been tempted. I have a four bed detached, which hopefully, will be ready for us - but as I had it rented out, no furniture in it.-- (Council tax is £1,400 a year) -- that is all here, and we cannot sell it, As the folks about, are too poor to buy. Sold some things - for a pittance. (hence the 1K, and then we already paid for the flights.) - so whatever, my Son in Law Attorney, has been accruing the rental for 12 months, so hopefully, enough for some furniture and an old car. (Ford Focus, I hope. 1.6 - cheap insurance and road tax)- I'm a bit apprehensive. dontheturner
Don, I think you will be okay. You have the house back there. Have you ever thought of selling and buying a smaller one? You would have less expensive utilities for, say, three bedrooms, than four. I have forgotten how they classify the size of houses in the UK. I think it is by the number of total rooms. If you have four "bedrooms" that's a big house.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 6:50 am
Forum Regular

Tanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really nice

JJ - I just sighed after I read your message. It sounds idyllic! The word "connected" is a good word. I have never felt connected in the USA. I have swung from feeling homesick and wishing I had never come here to merely going through the motions. After many years, "going through the motions" felt somewhat normal but I never felt connected. When I come here to this forum and am reminded of what it is like to be British, I feel flutters of eager anticipation and excitement inside. I can "relate" to what is said and to the experiences of living in Britain. I also remember how connected I felt when I visited my father in England quite a few years ago now. I went into a deep depression when I returned here. I know that returning is the right move for me so long as I have the courage to make that move back, and if I plan properly, I should.
Glad you found some good tea, Windsong. I know what you mean about being part of this forum - it makes me feel normal (well, almost).
You'll have the courage to move back - everyone here will be cheering you on! Hopefully the welcoming committee will be set up by then and they'll be cheering you when you arrive.........
Where abouts are you in the US, I can't remember?
Old Dec 29th 2010, 7:02 am
Forum Regular

Tanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really niceTanto is just really nice

I'm curious about that too. I have a few things here I'd like to keep and asked David for details about his shipping arrangements from Vancouver (I'm on the west coast of the US). I think I need more specific information, however. Any info on this would be helpful. I seem to remember talk of partial containers? I'm rambling again and it's late!!!!
I should look back on this thread and see what J.J. and Denise did, didn't they ship furniture?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.