Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Feb 15th 2011, 9:13 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Hello Sally-It might have been me, as my thai Wife, is in that position. She will not have to pay to see the Doctor, and will get a prescription, without cost, but will have to pay at the Chemists, when collecting any medication. dontheturner

It's £7.20 per prescription even if you're a UK citizen unless you qualify for free prescriptions (i.e., over age 60, under age 16, have a Medical Exemption Certificate, etc.etc.etc.) Prescriptions are a bit less expensive if you enroll in the prepayment plan.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 10:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

HighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by DDL
It's £7.20 per prescription even if you're a UK citizen unless you qualify for free prescriptions (i.e., over age 60, under age 16, have a Medical Exemption Certificate, etc.etc.etc.) Prescriptions are a bit less expensive if you enroll in the prepayment plan.
The prepayment plan seems to be the way to go if you are on more than 4 prescriptions a month.

£28.25 for a 3-month PPC; and

£104.00 for a 12-month PPC.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 10:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

HighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant future

Well today we signed the initial contract on the house. Still no completion date but keeping fingers crossed it will be within 3 weeks. I am heading back to Canada on Thursday and can hopefully complete everything in 2 weeks and be back in Devon for the move in. My partner will stay here and make arrangements for all services to be connected. There is so much to think about and we both have lists as long as our arms.

To those of you who have done this on their own and without family to help you I bow to you. Even for a couple and with family support it has been a mamoth job and still not there yet.

The end result will be well worth it and now that the light at the end of the tunnel is starting to shine a little more brightly there is a feeling that it has all been well worth it.

Soon there will be more of you arriving ...let's hope it's not too long before the rest of you get to fulfill your dream. It really is great being here. No regrets from us.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 11:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HighTide
The prepayment plan seems to be the way to go if you are on more than 4 prescriptions a month.

£28.25 for a 3-month PPC; and

£104.00 for a 12-month PPC.
Worth it if you are on more than 4 in a 3-month period.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 11:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

DDL...If you needed a prescription for yourself I wonder what it would cost you. Any idea.

High Tide.....My friend in the UK just moved house and she said if she had known the amount of stress it was going to cause her she would have stayed were she was. Its very different to the area I live we do not get a choice, she had to choose which water supplier she wanted and then getting a telephone installed was a nightmare she was on the phone nearly 3 hours just to find out which company she was using and at one point said she was talking to someone in India. She ended up in tears and then the last person she spoke to was back in the UK and he told her not to worry everyone he spoke to that day had been in tears. He seemed to think that would make her feel better.

Goodluck to you on your trip back to Canada
Old Feb 16th 2011, 12:20 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Dontheturner.....Can only imagine how you feel those days ticking down to going home and seeing your family. I am not sure I understood you... are you saying that your wife will have to pay for all her prescriptions no matter how long she lives in the UK. I am just wondering as some of my husbands drugs are quite expensive. Do you think they would cost the same in the UK.
In case you are not able to get back on line all the best and look forward to hearing from you once you settle in at home.
Stroke of luck, managed to reconnect to the Phone line! The paying for any medications, will aplly till she has taken that test, then as I understand it, as she will get ILR, on Visa replacement, she will be OK - but only after she turns retirement age. - Everyone pays for their medics, till they are retired. (£6.80 per item) (& Thanks TT - all alone for two days till Tim gets back from seeing her eldest daughter). Love dontheturner xx
Old Feb 16th 2011, 12:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Stroke of luck, managed to reconnect to the Phone line! The paying for any medications, will aplly till she has taken that test, then as I understand it, as she will get ILR, on Visa replacement, she will be OK - but only after she turns retirement age. - Everyone pays for their medics, till they are retired. (£6.80 per item) (& Thanks TT - all alone for two days till Tim gets back from seeing her eldest daughter). Love dontheturner xx
So are you just saying she has to pay the prescription charge like everybody else who is not exempt through age, unemployment etc, or the full cost of the medication?
Old Feb 16th 2011, 12:45 am
Forum Regular

SomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really nice

Originally Posted by HighTide

The end result will be well worth it and now that the light at the end of the tunnel is starting to shine a little more brightly there is a feeling that it has all been well worth it.

Soon there will be more of you arriving ...let's hope it's not too long before the rest of you get to fulfill your dream. It really is great being here. No regrets from us.
So great to hear your news David and happy that in just a couple of weeks everything will be settled. So, all in all, how long do you think we should allow to actually take possession of a house assuming we find one right away?
Old Feb 16th 2011, 12:48 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
So are you just saying she has to pay the prescription charge like everybody else who is not exempt through age, unemployment etc, or the full cost of the medication?
Hi Sally -Well - keep your voice down - if we get the same doctor, and she will remember her ( I am a ''Practice Friend'' and raised money for that practice, and got them a Heart Monitor) - she may choose to ignore it. - I think rules are meant to be broken.- She will be seeking work, or doing private house calls for Thai Massage. - has just finished four degree courses, Maybe the practice may suggest how she can become ''Registered'' in UK.?

Love dontheturner

Last edited by dontheturner; Feb 16th 2011 at 1:10 am. Reason: E&O
Old Feb 16th 2011, 1:02 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Close enough.
Don leaves for the UK Sunday February 20th on BA I think
Bee leaves for the UK Saturday February 26th also on BA

At the airport there is a new requirement and they ask for your ticket, your passport and your laptop for giving a report to those you left behind on 'over 50's.'

I think I have everything correct. Your flight numbers will help. Sorry if you have already given them but I didn't write them down when you did.

Someone else leaves on Thursday I think.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 1:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cheers
Close enough.
Don leaves for the UK Sunday February 20th on BA I think
Bee leaves for the UK Saturday February 26th also on BA

At the airport there is a new requirement and they ask for your ticket, your passport and your laptop for giving a report to those you left behind on 'over 50's.'

I think I have everything correct. Your flight numbers will help. Sorry if you have already given them but I didn't write them down when you did.

Someone else leaves on Thursday I think.
CHEERS! Wrote them this morning BA10 leaving Bangkok @ 00.10am 21st, arriving 05.45 21st (same day)- Put times back 7 hours. dontheturner
Old Feb 16th 2011, 2:25 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

CHEERS! Wrote them this morning BA10 leaving Bangkok @ 00.10am 21st, arriving 05.45 21st (same day)- Put times back 7 hours. dontheturner
How do they do that? They fly the plane backwards I think?
Old Feb 16th 2011, 2:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cheers
How do they do that? They fly the plane backwards I think?
I totally Agree, but unfortunately, we are in those seats for 12 hours - Well I'm not, I am a nuisance, as I served in the Royal Air Force, and worked on Lancasters, I ask to go up front into the cockpit, and chat to the Pilots! - Usually Three of them. Love dontheturner (Oh! Then before I shall be back on line, my friend, who works for SYON, has to build another tower PC for us!)
Old Feb 16th 2011, 3:20 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Dontheturner...Long time on a plane I like to get up and walk around just to keep my legs from getting cramp.... Hope you both have good books to read. Wish I was on my way back maybe soon Once you are retired even if you are from another country do you get prescriptions free. My husband is going to try and get a good supply of is medicine before we return. Looking into getting some of it shipped to the UK.
Will miss you but very happy for you. Love to bothXXXX

Beedubya...How are you doing with your daughter and grandchildren must be nice to be with them. Did you ever hear about your Job.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 3:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Dontheturner...Long time on a plane I like to get
Hello TT, Odd really, but as Tim was the Hospital Administrator for this City, and retired at 50, she is entitled to all medication, free for her, her Mother, if alone, her Husband, & all her offspring - but only till they marry. ( Which they both have now, and have a son each). So the local Hospital, where I get my free massages, gave us both, 6 months free medications.. Now fortunately, Tim takes the same Statin, as I do, so she can have mine (watching the Date), and will be OK for a year. Yesterday, I went to the local Hairstylist, got a Pedicure, mainicure, and a head and upper Body Shave and haircut. it cost £2.00 total. nice and short, so will last a while!. Had my Last massage, Yesterday, and the Nurse was so upset, at me leaving, Said ''I luv you too Mutt'' Funny, really as she is married! Just thinking, maybe you could sneak on board, and sit on my lap? Hope the Aircraft, is half empty! Take care. dontheturner

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.