Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Dec 23rd 2010, 9:56 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by charleygirl
Lovely to catch up, DDL and JJ love the photos.......Between two worlds, so glad you managed to get there, I usually fly to Brum...
My husband works for a company in Ma. but they are a large French company with offices world wide..........just a long shot!

Barb........hubby thought Sidney was full of drunks...........and the news was full of Police telling them to stay home.....and it was HOT as hell.

Have a great evening everyone.

How do we post a picture here??
Ah yes Denise, then hubby must have been staying right in the middle of Sydney one week before Christmas, full of drunken young 'uns, see it's not all kangaroos and koalas and rainbows and lollipops here!! And remember how HOT I told you it was!! Hubby confirmed it...........
Old Dec 23rd 2010, 9:58 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
Ooooooo, yes - it's a private development. And just lovely. We're really going to miss it when we have to move!
Just as I thought Denise!! It looks really lovely I have to say. Any news on the job or home front for you guys?
Old Dec 23rd 2010, 10:01 am
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by between two worlds
Phew! at last, out of breath from racing through the posts before another gets posted!

Lovely to read all the posts...

Rodney, good luck with giving up smoking. A gift to yourself and to your mother.

Gosh, well, where to start?

Beedubya, I actually finished packing on Sunday and flew out to UK that evening, to Birmingham, B'ham is brilliant, we were able to land--but soon after we landed they closed it down, so daughter from Paris couldn't land there....she came next day, but they lost her bag...

Son from another part of USA was flying into heathrow also due to land on Monday, they cancelled the flight, he just arrived today..

one more son to arrive tomorrow I hope, and then we will all be here in this beautiful English winter wonderland!! yes, very pretty...but..no-one shovels!!! and of course, as it's so rare to get snow like this (or used to be), the authorities understandably don't spend $$$ on snow ploughs etc that they probably won't use...

notwithstanding all that, the roads are clear enough that we should all be able to convene in big rented house (v large family) in country for CHristmas and the few days either side!! some of the group is already there....

It is, as always, lovely to be here.

DH said I seemed happier here! Has noticed that before...

Charleygirl, not likely he works for same co as your hubby if you live in NH....

Re the USA/oath thing, we should probably drop the subject but I just want to clarify that I love so much about the USA and do consider it my adopted country, if not my "true home."

My problems with the oath are not at all to do with any negative feelings towards the USA!

But simply related to the way you have to say you are renouncing all former allegiance etc...
to me this isn't just about "bearing arms" but about physical and emotional allegiance to UK.
And I don't feel comfortable swearing to renounce it while all along hoping and planning to live in UK in the end, at least part-time-- because that is my deepest and primary allegiance!

I think I'd be fine with the wording of the Canada oath, or the oath new Brit citizens swear-they don't ask for this renouncing.

And--for the record--health care is not at all the reason I want to go back!! It's culture...landscape....history...cathedrals..villa ges....family...newspapers...
sense of humour....changeable sky.....marmite!
And more.

But...in the new year, FRance. And therefore much closer to UK, quick trips back and forth should be possible....

A lovely Christmas to all!!!! You all feel like friends now.

Tina
Wow didn't realise you were there already, you sure move quick Tina!!

Hope your other son landed safely and you have a fantastic Christmas. Waiting to see photos of lovely rented Christmas house in the countryside.
Old Dec 23rd 2010, 10:08 am
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by I like tea
Firstly to wish all posters a VERY HAPPY CHRISTMAS & NEW YEAR.
This time of year is always a struggle for me as I try to embrace the Aussie idea of christmas while missing my ideal UK one.

Now for something a little different and for those of you who are in Aussie land this might ring true with you.

My daughter ( in the UK) gives me a substription to a magazine called SAGA its for the over 50's and contains info. articles etc just for this age group as well as lots of advertisements !

The Dec magazine had an article entltled 'Paradise Lost?' by a mid fifties Australian women who has swapped her Sunshine Coast lifestyle for a little flat in London.
To quote a few passages from her article for you to ponder as she has captured my thoughts perfectly.

'Our leafy suburb in subtropical Australia was mind - numbingly quiet,apart from the odd yapping terrier or drone from a chorus of cane toads. Out social life was reduced to nodding at other dog owners when walking our labrador on the rainforest track.

'We decided too exchange this tranquility for the noisy exhilaration of inner-city life in London, hoping to revitalise our lives instead of sliding into the teduim of early retirement.'

'But for me it was harder NOT to change, harder to be stuck in a rut and stagnate.'

[I]'I grew up with a sense of dispacement'.

[/I]'My husband and I prefer culture and history to football and beer'.

I identify with all these thoughts and more and just wondered if any other Aussie feels the same ?
I certainly do, but I am not an Aussie I am a dinky di Pommy LOL!!
Old Dec 23rd 2010, 10:30 am
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Any news on the job or home front for you guys?

Tony starts his job with the Council on 6 Jan. so he's good to go. Absolute crap pay, but it's a job and maybe the total career change will be good for him. I actually think it will.

The job I was really for was, according to the job recruiter, offered to an internal candidate who decided to go for it at the last minute, so it's back to square one for me. But I've put in for a nice PA job at British Gas here in Staines so maybe I'll hear something back from them.

On the average, I apply for about 5-10 jobs/week but there are just hundreds and hundreds of people applying for one job. Something will eventually come through for me. It's just a matter of time.

Today was our last sign-on at the Job Centre. Once Tony starts work, I will not be able to claim job seeker's allowance in my own right because it's income-based.
Old Dec 23rd 2010, 11:08 am
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by DDL
Tony starts his job with the Council on 6 Jan. so he's good to go. Absolute crap pay, but it's a job and maybe the total career change will be good for him. I actually think it will.

The job I was really for was, according to the job recruiter, offered to an internal candidate who decided to go for it at the last minute, so it's back to square one for me. But I've put in for a nice PA job at British Gas here in Staines so maybe I'll hear something back from them.

On the average, I apply for about 5-10 jobs/week but there are just hundreds and hundreds of people applying for one job. Something will eventually come through for me. It's just a matter of time.

Today was our last sign-on at the Job Centre. Once Tony starts work, I will not be able to claim job seeker's allowance in my own right because it's income-based.
Did you ever look into applying for a House Managers job in the over 55's sheltered accomodation housing Denise? It would be ideal for a couple in your position........if you need any more details please PM me, a job for you and rent free accommodation, sure the pay is not the greatest but you would have hubbys pay too.......... Quids in as we say...........
Old Dec 23rd 2010, 11:36 am
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

DDL sending really good vibes your way hoping for a job offer for you! Like you said it will come in time, probably not what you want but would you take a job in a shop or anything like that, I know when I was home I saw several vacancies and not just Christmas help in the shopping center in town, also any little cafes locally, you know like a nice Tea shop. I know you are looking for an office type job but just a thought til something comes up.

Thanks for comments on my photo. Yes I felt happy and I felt powerful, it was weird, didnt know i would feel different.

Barb any news on the Staines job.......
Talking of kangaroos, my husband brought back my girls a money pouch made from Kangaroo scrotum, Eeeeeeu!
I like tea, stay strong, I dont really know your story, are you planning to return, want to return but cant......big hugs this Christmas time.

Merry Christmas to you all.
Old Dec 23rd 2010, 12:31 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by between two worlds
I love the way the clouds rush across the sky and the light is always changing and it may be raining now, but in a bit the sun might come out.
Yes! That's exactly it and I love that description. I was really taken by surprise at how fast the clouds move and the amazing shapes they make and the constant changing light. Up in the Lake District, that makes the same hill look completely different on different days. You could never get bored.

Of course, it makes the weather forecast there even more useless than ours. I think they got it wrong every single day of my holiday. It got so we were saying "what does the forecast say and we'll assume the opposite."

In other news, I'm pretty excited because it looks like I might go home twice next year. I want to go on my own and spend some time with my mum. We're tracing our family history and we want to visit some of the houses/places in York where my dad's family lived in the 1800s.

Then hubby and I will be going back later in the year to have another look round and decide for sure what we want to do.

Question: Does anyone know Buxton? Have any opinions about it as a place to live? I'm set on Kendal but hubby would like to check out a few more places too.
Old Dec 23rd 2010, 5:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Charleygirl...Recovered yet. Nice to see the picture you did well.

DDL..Will keep fingers crossed and say a prayer perhaps Gods floating closer to earth at this time of the year and will hear it

Betweentwoworlds... Glad to see you made it to France and you are happy. Hope you packed everything Nice to hear from you keep posting.

I like tea...Sounds like a good magazine, I have a subscription to 'Yours' magazine that is for the over 40's and retirement folks it has some very good advice and information.

Sallysimmons...Goodluck next year the more trips you take home the more hubby will feel comfortable in making the move. Got all the ingredients for my soup going to make it after Christmas.

Cheers...Nice picture of your son and Grandchildren.Love the teddy.

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR WITH ALL. MAY ALL YOUR DREAMS COME TRUE..........
Old Dec 23rd 2010, 7:14 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by charleygirl
DDL sending really good vibes your way hoping for a job offer for you! Like you said it will come in time, probably not what you want but would you take a job in a shop or anything like that, I know when I was home I saw several vacancies and not just Christmas help in the shopping center in town, also any little cafes locally, you know like a nice Tea shop. I know you are looking for an office type job but just a thought til something comes up.

Thanks for comments on my photo. Yes I felt happy and I felt powerful, it was weird, didnt know i would feel different.

Barb any news on the Staines job.......
Talking of kangaroos, my husband brought back my girls a money pouch made from Kangaroo scrotum, Eeeeeeu!
I like tea, stay strong, I dont really know your story, are you planning to return, want to return but cant......big hugs this Christmas time.

Merry Christmas to you all.
My boss has gone skiing to Canada so I have to wait until he gets back in the New Year.

Oh yes Denise that is quite the tourist thing to do, I bought one for my brother years ago, it is quite the talking point for all.

Last edited by Beedubya; Dec 23rd 2010 at 7:57 pm.
Old Dec 24th 2010, 3:22 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

I'm posting these pictures of Keswick. They're really nice festive pictures.

http://www.lakelandcam.co.uk/index.html

Enjoy,

Cheers
Old Dec 25th 2010, 1:12 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Yes! That's exactly it and I love that aces in York where my dad's family lived in the 1800s.
Question: Does anyone know Buxton? Have any opinions about it as a place to live? I'm set on Kendal but hubby would like to check out a few more places too.
Yes, but I was last there about 5 years ago, and I could really enjoy living there, if it is still the same. lots of arts & crafts going on there. Altogether, a nice friendly town, methinks (Just spotted your question whilst looking back) dontheturner
Old Dec 25th 2010, 1:35 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Yes, but I was last there about 5 years ago, and I could really enjoy living there, if it is still the same. lots of arts & crafts going on there. Altogether, a nice friendly town, methinks (Just spotted your question whilst looking back) dontheturner
Thanks! It does sound lovely - and lots of period houses. Also a little less expensive than Kendal.
Old Dec 25th 2010, 5:40 am
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
I just saw this.
Yes I know it quite well. I have an apartment there, just off the main road, across from the park. It's about 45 minutes from Manchester airport so it's convenient for me whenever I visit the UK, which isn't very often these days. It has all amenities that I need. There is The Buxton Festival, The Opera House, The Winter Gardens and more. It has a quaint little "department' store called Potter's. It's just like Grace Brothers on Are You Being Served ! I suppose it depends on what you want but for me it is an ideal spot.
Old Dec 25th 2010, 9:43 am
Just Joined

Videografics is an unknown quantity at this point

In eight days we'll be going home. At least, back to the country of our birth.

I've been living abroad for fifteen years, the missus for a bit longer.

When I hit 50 I decided that enough is enough and gave up the job and started packing. I left the UK because I thought it was on the way down (naturally,as soon as I left, things moved up, now I'm moving back just as things seem to be sinking again!). However, I believed that the grass was greener and fell for the "German Myth" which I soon saw to be completely false.

Fifteen years later I realise that I'm moving back to Blighty fourteen years too late.

No rose-tinted spectacles or high hopes. No permanent house (just a few weeks temporary let at the moment) no job and very little cash (but no debts either).

But I sure am looking forward to it!

Last edited by Videografics; Dec 25th 2010 at 9:45 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.