Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Sep 29th 2010, 1:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
Yes, they let me deposit it, and because I am a long term customer, they are only putting a 2 day hold on it!!.. sheesh
Yes it was MR T.."fry da sucka"....lol
Hey Jackie thats great just a 2 day hold, not bad, most banks put a hold on overseas checks, normally a week to 10 days I think, but if you are long term customers like you and like me too then they normally will work with you,
Rodney.
PS yes I knew it was Mr T --- I always thought he was pretty cool,
I liked him in one of the Rocky movies too,
Old Sep 29th 2010, 1:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Of course thats it now I remember, "the A Team" and was it Mr T like I thought was the co-star?

Sorry to here that your bank is giving you problems with cashing your check,
So what did they finally tell you after they interrogated you with all those silly questions? are they going to allow you to deposit it in your bank account?
Rodney.
As a new member I would like to make a few comments.......you all are the best......such positive people. Those who have recenly moved back - congratulations and hopefully you will never regret your decisions. You have all given us an insight into staying the course and believing in our dreams. It has given me more determination as I have been back to live (with all my goods and chattels) and am back again in Texas trying to decide if the third time will be the charm. 66 now so there would be no turning back.
Jackie, I will in Australia when you undergo surgery and I have marked it in my iPhone calendar for prayers for you.
Rodney, you havebthe sweetest soul and kindest spirit. It is a pleasure to have "met" you.
Thanks gang for my new "family"
Old Sep 29th 2010, 2:51 am
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
As a new member I would like to make a few comments.......you all are the best......such positive people. Those who have recenly moved back - congratulations and hopefully you will never regret your decisions. You have all given us an insight into staying the course and believing in our dreams. It has given me more determination as I have been back to live (with all my goods and chattels) and am back again in Texas trying to decide if the third time will be the charm. 66 now so there would be no turning back.
Jackie, I will in Australia when you undergo surgery and I have marked it in my iPhone calendar for prayers for you.
Rodney, you havebthe sweetest soul and kindest spirit. It is a pleasure to have "met" you.
Celtic,

that is very sweet of you, and your prayers will be greatly appreciated...
Old Sep 29th 2010, 3:23 am
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
Yes, I'm aware of the changes (thought they were still "proposed" changes) but we've been married >4 years so I fall under that rule although of course I still have to obtain my ILR before my Visa runs out. I was under the impression that the changes relate to citizenship - which isn't a burning issue for me. 3 years or 5 years until I get it, I really don't care.
Denise, sorry for being so blunt this morning. I was reading before going to work and didn't have a lot of time. My apologies again.

The changes will take place because they've already been through Royal Assent. I understand not being interested in citizenship - that would not be on my list of things to do either.

You should probably check back at uk-yankee.com and find out if you should file for ILR before June 2011. My understanding is that you should. If you don't, you will HAVE to take the path to citizenship in order to remain in the UK. If you get your ILR, my understanding is you can remain without citizenship.
Old Sep 29th 2010, 3:59 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Good news Don, ---- so you should be out of that heat in no time right? and you and your wife will be back in England where I know you both want to be,
Take care, and good luck,
Rodney.
PS yes Don I know I am just a whippersnapper at 65
And I cant wait to spend the rest of my days back home in the good old UK
Take care,
Rodney.
Thanks for that, Rodney, and when we are back, and have the PC set up ( Got to buy again) you will be able to come to Shropshire, and know there is a friend, and a bed for you. Don
Old Sep 29th 2010, 4:12 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Hello Don,
I hope you dont mind me asking but 4 years ago when you started to live in Thailand did you go there alone and meet your wife over there?
Im too have a very slow heart beat --- it runs in the family,
I have blacked out several times since I have been living in Vegas,
Your climate there is hot most of the year and very humid, here in Vegas the climate is stinking hot in Summer but extreamly dry all year long, the Summers here seem to just last forever, its very long, starts in May and ends around end of October,
Cant wait to get back to England where I belong, I know where you are you have only two seasons, one wet and the other dry, but when it rains it really dont stop for months right?
But in UK ----- well yeah it rains a lot I supose but me living in the desert for years when it only rains 3 times a year for about half a day each time, about 3 inches a year, --- I say England please bring on that rain but just wait for a few more weeks untill I am over there,
Jasper - I am a very open extrovert person, and have no secrets. I first got lonely in 2006, My then Wife of 35 years was in a nursing home,- I had cared for her for 8 yrs(wheelchair after strokes), and she died, then I needed someone, so my best m8, of many yrs, said, You won't find anyone in UK, to take on a 76 yr old man. So I joined ''ThailoveLinks'' for a pal. Found 31 replies, and chose 6 to chat to. Selected a retired lady, came met&wed!More later. Don
Old Sep 29th 2010, 4:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Jasper - I am a very open extrovert person, and have no secrets. I first got lonely in 2006, My then Wife of 35 years was in a nursing home,- I had cared for her for 8 yrs(wheelchair after strokes), and she died, then I needed someone, so my best m8, of many yrs, said, You won't find anyone in UK, to take on a 76 yr old man. So I joined ''ThailoveLinks'' for a pal. Found 31 replies, and chose 6 to chat to. Selected a retired lady, came met&wed!More later. Don
Hi again Jasper - Yes, I came to US many yrs ago, been to Vegas, was there the night Caesars Palace opened for the first time; tried a $10 chip, but had to leave - didn't win. Then travelled up to Seattle, Vancouver, and over to the Island, to visit bro-in-law, in Duncan.(did you know there is a commemorative plaque, at the bottom of Milton Street, in Nanaimo, to the British Miners who died there?) Take care, don
Old Sep 29th 2010, 4:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
Celtic thanks so much for those nice words, ---- about you ---- what happened?
Did you go back home to UK twice and each time you came back to US and now you are back in Texas?
Please tell us what happened, why couldn't you stay the course over there?
Anyway I do hope so much that you will one day soon go back home and this time be able to stay for good,
Take care and have fun for that couple of weeks in Australia, I know its mostly business but I know you will have plenty of time for fun too,
Rodney.
Old Sep 29th 2010, 5:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for that, Rodney, and when we are back, and have the PC set up ( Got to buy again) you will be able to come to Shropshire, and know there is a friend, and a bed for you. Don
Oh Don, with what you have said here in just those few words is bringing tears to my eyes literally, that is so so unbelievably kind of you to say that about coming to visit you,
You are a very kind man indeed, Its not so much the offer to come and visit you and your wife that is overwhelming me right now, but its the genuine love and caring of one human being to another that I feel from you,
Wow thanks for that Don, and please give my regards to your wife,
And of course I will really be looking forward to visiting you both one day after we are all settled, and allow me to also extend the same invitation to you and your wife, it will be an honor to meet you both,
Take care,
Rodney.
Old Sep 29th 2010, 5:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Hello Don,
Thanks so much for reply, what a beautiful story, very Sad, but you have met a woman that obviously loves you a lot, and you the same to her,
Fish posted a few pages back that he thinks that I am a real stand up guy, and I thank him for that comment, But in my opinion the real stand up guy around here is you Don,
My pleasure to know you,
Rodney.
Old Sep 29th 2010, 5:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
Rodney,
We are not far from each other at all, what a small world it is. What do you do for a living here in Vegas?
My surgery is at Summerlin Hosp. on Oct 11th
My parents live just outside of Grantham in Lincolnshire, near Belton House.
The more i read on here the more I am totally convinced to move home. Another problem today...my parents sent me a little money to help me through this time, and when I took the check to the bank to deposit..they said they would have to put a hold on it...like they have never heard of Barkleys Bank!!! did I trust the sender, and have they ever sent a check like this before?? where some of the questions.. I was furious, everyone in this country assumes everyone else is dishonest. Sheeesh, every day is just more frustrating and annoying than the last. I really need to get out of here..
Jackie..
An idea, if your parents are going to send you anymore money they could perhaps transfer from their bank to yours, this might prevent the hold on your funds. My husband has had to send me a some money in the past, he used Western Union, was extremly fast and easy but there might be a sealing on how much they will transfer
Old Sep 29th 2010, 5:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi again Jasper - Yes, I came to US many yrs ago, been to Vegas, was there the night Caesars Palace opened for the first time; tried a $10 chip, but had to leave - didn't win. Then travelled up to Seattle, Vancouver, and over to the Island, to visit bro-in-law, in Duncan.(did you know there is a commemorative plaque, at the bottom of Milton Street, in Nanaimo, to the British Miners who died there?) Take care, don
Hi Don,
I lived in Vancouver BC for the three years directly before I came to live in US
I was 29 and I met a girl, we fell in love we got engaged, we spent a lot of time in Chamanus, (dont think I spelled that right) over on the Island, she was 21 and that was where her parents lived, I instantly loved her Mum & Dad they were wonderful people, and they loved me too, I know it, anyway the very evening before the wedding was going to take place she called the whole thing off, guess she got cold feet, she wasn't ready, I have posted this before about a year ago on this thread so dont want to bore the people who have already read this,
Her parents were so upset, and her dad had booked that nice little church there for the wedding, nice place for the reception after, many guests invited
cost him $5,000 canadian, and that was worth a whole lot more then in 1977,
Anyway if it wasn't for that happening I would probably still be in Canada and my life would have turned out much differently, hers too,
But anyway two weeks after she dumped me I was on a plane to L.A.
Took me a long time to get over her, life can be quite strange at times,
Rodney.
Old Sep 29th 2010, 5:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
An idea, if your parents are going to send you anymore money they could perhaps transfer from their bank to yours, this might prevent the hold on your funds. My husband has had to send me a some money in the past, he used Western Union, was extremly fast and easy but there might be a sealing on how much they will transfer

Peigi - Do be aware, That Western Union, is not all perfect =- I have had two lots of cash go astray. Only small amounts, but SOME W.U. offices are a bit less than perfect. Went into one in Shropshire once, gave them the number, and the guy said quite brusquely - Sorry-been collected. - SO, For my two cents worth - Tell your sender, to do a Bank transfer - Always very safe and quick. Love Don xx
Old Sep 29th 2010, 6:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Hello Don,
Thanks so much for reply, what a beautiful story, very Sad, but you have met a woman that obviously loves you a lot, and you the same to her,
Fish posted a few pages back that he thinks that I am a real stand up guy, and I thank him for that comment, But in my opinion the real stand up guy around here is you Don,
My pleasure to know you,
Rodney.
Shame we cannot post shots on here, Apart from having to buy furniture, when we go back, as the house is rented out, Everything else, should be fine.

Do you have google earth, Rodney? don
Old Sep 29th 2010, 6:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Mummy in The foothills

Correction to that! Tippawan is back home to me, but although she did the XRay thingy, and submitted her paperwork for the Settlement Visa, she also had to pay 75 Bahts ( 50p) for them to ring her, when the Consular Office have made a decision, then she has to go to Bangkok again, to be interviewed, and collect her Passport - so it is NOT a foregone comclusion. Oh! and they said there could be a wait for ''up to 3 months'' dontheturner

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.