Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Sep 7th 2009, 12:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by magistrate
Hi Again,
hit a snag re us returning to the UK in 2 weeks .We need to hire a car a couple of days after we arrive but when I look at the car rental companies in the town we are staying in the uk they need a credit card ,we do not have one in the USA as we gave it up a year ago and although we have a bank account in the UK we do not have a debit or credit card and it would probably take too long to get a card processed before we need the vehicle .Any ideas please .
You say you have a bank account, can you give them cash?
Old Sep 7th 2009, 12:52 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magistrate
Hi Again,
hit a snag re us returning to the UK in 2 weeks .We need to hire a car a couple of days after we arrive but when I look at the car rental companies in the town we are staying in the uk they need a credit card ,we do not have one in the USA as we gave it up a year ago and although we have a bank account in the UK we do not have a debit or credit card and it would probably take too long to get a card processed before we need the vehicle .Any ideas please .
Do you know anyone in the UK that could hire it for you? I remember doing this for my daughter a few years back. She needed to hire a van to move stuff and didnt have a credit card. I think from memory i just put her down as a named driver. You could give them the cash.
Old Sep 7th 2009, 3:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Governme...eUK/DG_4000140

The above website has some useful information worth keeping for future reference.
Old Sep 7th 2009, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

alba1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Magistrate have you tried looking further afield for a rescue shelter. I know the shelter where I live takes in animals from other states. Perhaps you could get on line and research it. I wish you the best I know how hard it is.

Aces1. I agree with you over decisions we make over the years. When I made the decision to move to the US I thought it was the best thing to do. I can only say to those contemplating a move don't do it for others in you life do it because you want to. Thats where I went wrong. Plus I had had a hysterectomy 6months previous it was only years later that I was told by another doctor you should not make any big decision for at least 2years after such an operation. My original doctor never told me that.

On to the future. When we return to the UK we are going to rent for the first year till we decide where we want to live. We are going to take a few holidays and look around.
I think if you take a look at some of the BBC page they do have news for each region you will learn quite a bit about crime and weather. Another thing to look at is are the Government going to start building lot of houses in the area you are thinking of moving to. Just keep your eye on the news and note down areas that you may not want to live. Sometimes we forget about it later also some areas have problems with flooding thats another area where you can keep notes. Even after you have moved back to the UK you can still make yourself aware of bad areas to live. Health care is better is certain areas of the country. I have a favourites folder on my computer that I keep all relavant information.
Which areas of the country have better health care? This would be a big deciding factor for me.
Old Sep 7th 2009, 10:43 pm
Forum Regular

Relocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud of

I would like to know if folks will go back to the big city or will they choose a quieter place.
Old Sep 7th 2009, 10:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Relocateme
I would like to know if folks will go back to the big city or will they choose a quieter place.
Well, I intend finding a quiet place, a village, as I am not a city girl. However, I still need some kind of job (part time or full time without stress, am not expecting to earn much, being only 3 years off pension age, 61 now for me as female), and I need public transportation as I won't have a car and don't want to drive (having never, ever driven in England on the other side of the road!). Not asking for much am I? rofl: Thinking of starting off near Bournemouth, see what happens. Treat it as a vacation and look around till I find somewhere (hopefully soon after landing!) suitable. Will be doing a lot of go with the flow as I really don't have a fixed plan, too complicated to do from this end (US) and no one to help the other end.
Old Sep 7th 2009, 10:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by trottytrue
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Governme...eUK/DG_4000140

The above website has some useful information worth keeping for future reference.
Thank you for this, I have marked it in favorites and will defiitely be looking at it later.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 12:33 am
Just Joined

Old Duck is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello All,
Been looking at this site on and off for a couple of weeks, joined up today when I read the thread for the over 50's wanting to return home, that's me, it hurts me to say the over 50 bit, but yes I want to return home. Been here 21 years married an American (bad move) traded him in for a dog 7 years ago (good move) It's not all been bad, my Lancashire spirit prevailed and I've made the best of it and I think done ok for my self.
It's been good to know I'm not alone in thinking about a move, my mum thinks I'm crazy, (hoodies, knife crime, bad weather etc etc) why move when the streets are paved with gold, (and I don't even live in Florida) I'm in year 1 of my 2 year plan to move back, I'm happy to have found you all it's somehow comforting to know that I'm not the only one who wonders shall I shan't I.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 12:47 am
Forum Regular

bithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nice

Hi All .....hoping to move back in the near future as everyone else in the family that was out here has already done so.....kids ..parents and siblings.

thought of being here alone if anything happened to hubby is just too scarey. Working towards the move and getting money back to UK while the rates are so good from this end.....only worry is finding work when we get there......but am sure something will turn up ....no point stressing out about what is not happening yet......

just plodding toward a future back in the country that is in my heart and soul.........

Sometimes wonder how I ended up here as I hate hot weather and snakes !!!!!

Looking forward to reading others posts on here in my age group. That have made the move.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

Relocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud of

One thing that concerns being 61 and still 4 yrs to go for CDN pension is this?

If I go back this year will I be retired in UK or not ...

Will Cdn pension fail to cough up the dough if I move there and if they do will UK make up the difference..just worried about survival issues..

Also ...if anyone can suggest a nice place to return not filled with Yobbo's near the coast that is not entirely remote... suitable for us?

Hey........we should all go together

I dream of sitting with a good cuppa and looking out in winter across those green fields and no snow on the ground!
Old Sep 8th 2009, 3:58 pm
Forum Regular

old duck....tell us about the two year plan..maybe I can learn something
Old Sep 8th 2009, 4:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
Thanks for writing this thread, I am returning to UK after 44 years. My husband will be coming over later. Small dog coming in October, large dog and husband coming when I get established.

I was glad to read about other people having the same feelings as I have had for most of my time in Canada. I have been lucky to find a place to live in Kilmaurs. The lady who owns the house is around my age and has now over the course of a year become my friend. She will be picking me up at airport in Glasgow, much nicer that getting a taxi to a hotel. I have been in touch with companies in the area re jobs and I ma quite positive that I can get a job.

I have children and grandchildren who will continue to live in Canada, and that makes me sad but with technology the way it is, I can talk and see them every day if I wish. My 14 year old grandson is already planning a trip over in a year or so.

Because of the downturn in the economy in Canada selling our house has become a nightmare, and wither it will ever get sold is another story. We just decide that we can't wait for that to happen and booked my passage with Icelandic Air, (very inexpensive). I am looking forward to going forward with our lives.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 4:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

We have just spoke with Canada Pension, There is no trouble getting your CPP and old age pension sent to UK. It takes about three months to get everything done, but it can be started here. For us, I am going before my husband and will get our bank in UK to fill out paperwork that Canada Pension will send. Good Luck!!

Will Cdn pension fail to cough up the dough if I move there and if they do will UK make up the difference..just worried about survival issues..

Also ...if anyone can suggest a nice place to return not filled with Yobbo's near the coast that is not entirely remote... suitable for us?

I dream of sitting with a good cuppa and looking out in winter across those green fields and no snow on the ground!
Old Sep 8th 2009, 6:01 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

How close to the coast do you need to be?
Old Sep 8th 2009, 6:42 pm
Forum Regular

always lived in a town and thought a walk along the shore seems attractive somehow..but in a village or small town that is along the water and has some active employment. Need part or fulltime to keep occupied

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.