Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Dec 25th 2010, 6:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by Videografics
In eight days we'll be going home. At least, back to the country of our birth.

I've been living abroad for fifteen years, the missus for a bit longer.

When I hit 50 I decided that enough is enough and gave up the job and started packing. I left the UK because I thought it was on the way down (naturally,as soon as I left, things moved up, now I'm moving back just as things seem to be sinking again!). However, I believed that the grass was greener and fell for the "German Myth" which I soon saw to be completely false.

Fifteen years later I realise that I'm moving back to Blighty fourteen years too late.

No rose-tinted spectacles or high hopes. No permanent house (just a few weeks temporary let at the moment) no job and very little cash (but no debts either).

But I sure am looking forward to it!
I am moving home after 34 years in the US on January 25th..as they say "home is where the heart is"..

Merry Christmas
Jackie
Old Dec 25th 2010, 6:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
Merry Christmas, everyone!

I wish I felt more merry. Two days ago I came down with the worst cold I have had in years - watery eyes, sniffles, sore throat and cough

Hope everyone has a good day
AAwwwww..so sorry wind, I feel for you girl, I had that a couple of weeks ago..lots of fluids and rest.
Merry Christmas..
Jackie
Old Dec 25th 2010, 6:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
AAwwwww..so sorry wind, I feel for you girl, I had that a couple of weeks ago..lots of fluids and rest.
Merry Christmas..
Jackie
Thanks, Jackie. I got some Mucinex today for my cough. I have to be so careful as I am asthmatic. Mucinex will do the trick So far, I have spent $30 in OTC medications

Merry Christmas!
Old Dec 25th 2010, 7:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by windsong
Thanks, Jackie. I got some Mucinex today for my cough. I have to be so careful as I am asthmatic. Mucinex will do the trick So far, I have spent $30 in OTC medications

Merry Christmas!
Spoke to my parents earlier, they where settling in for an evening of good British TV, starting with the Dr Who special..lol. they said its still very cold in Lincolnshire, with snow on the ground. They just stayed in and kept cozy eating great English food....ahhh a few more weeks...
Jackie
Old Dec 25th 2010, 7:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
Spoke to my parents earlier, they where settling in for an evening of good British TV, starting with the Dr Who special..lol. they said its still very cold in Lincolnshire, with snow on the ground. They just stayed in and kept cozy eating great English food....ahhh a few more weeks...
Jackie
Do they have a fireplace? Thats were it starts
Old Dec 25th 2010, 7:43 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Word of warning about the cake recipe I posted yesterday - I ate a rather large piece today and felt very sick or about an hour afterwards. It might be the richest thing I've ever tasted. Just remembered why I never make Nigella Lawson recipes
Old Dec 25th 2010, 10:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

PAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to behold

Merry Christmas everyone, we are lucky enough to have spent the day with our large family in London, we must have been mad to move away, we miss them so much. We have loved having our three grandchildren around us, we hadn't seen them since July. Here's hoping those of us waiting to sell our homes find a buyer soon. We have enjoyed watching some great TV this evening, we watched the Strictly Come Dancing Christmas special and a great musical version of A Christmas Carol yesterday afternoon. If anyone remembers Upstairs Downstairs, the life of domestic servants and their employers Lord and Lady Bellamy in Eaton Square before the first world war, it is being updated to the 30's for a new series starring Dame Eileen Aitkins and Rose will be housekeeper. Sounds good, watch out for it. We travel back on 27th I am so looking forward to spending a whole day tomorrow with our kids and grandkids. Take care all.
Old Dec 25th 2010, 10:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Well Christmas night in my house, hubby snoring on the settee, kids gone to see friends.....I could be thousands of miles away, i dont think anyone would notice, spent hours shopping wrapping preparing cooking and all over in an hour or less........Skyped my family in the UK, highlight of my day.
Pam sounds wonderful. so happy for you.....
Sally sorry about the cake, but 6 eggs......sugar... clementines.....
Tanto hope you are doing okay tonight
Windsong, hope you feel better soon.
Jackie, glad your parents are okay. How long til you go home?
Old Dec 25th 2010, 11:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PAT M
If anyone remembers Upstairs Downstairs, the life of domestic servants and their employers Lord and Lady Bellamy in Eaton Square before the first world war, it is being updated to the 30's for a new series starring Dame Eileen Aitkins and Rose will be housekeeper. Sounds good, watch out for it.
A thing I read about the production of the original Upstairs, Downstairs was how the characters or actors were treated off set, by the production crew, because they were treated according to their station on set. This I think is a real kick because some of the better actors had parts that were downstairs. Can you believe that Lady Bellamy was treated like royalty while Rose was treated like a pauper.
Rose to wardrobe, "will you fix my dress?" answer " fix it 'yerself"

Some of the original actors have passed away. For example the head butler, Hudson, who was also Scottish, was one who died of bone cancer at the age of 66 in 1990.

I finished the cra'b' and all the time I was eating it I was thinking I hope I don't get poisoned. Maybe thats because I had something happen in the past when I had bad rashes over my skin.
Old Dec 25th 2010, 11:47 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charleygirl
Well Christmas night in my house, hubby snoring on the settee, kids gone to see friends.....I could be thousands of miles away, i dont think anyone would notice, spent hours shopping wrapping preparing cooking and all over in an hour or less........Skyped my family in the UK, highlight of my day.
Aww sounds like my house.
Dh went off to play guitar and Ds is engrossed in his new Christmas Lap top. Dd will be off to bed soon enough, and it'll be just me and some Mr Kipling Christmas slices and a bottle of Baileys

My Mum is feeling the same way in UK, bored silly, my older Ds is not big on celebrations etc, and went off to watch a movie, so usually she's here and we keep each other company with the bottle of Baileys
Old Dec 26th 2010, 12:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Giving up wine?

https://mail.google.com/mail/?shva=1...d1fc39f091ad62

Last edited by cheers; Dec 26th 2010 at 12:07 am.
Old Dec 26th 2010, 1:30 am
BE Forum Addict

I leave on January 25th Charley..cant wait..
Old Dec 26th 2010, 1:39 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PAT M
Merry Christmas everyone, we are lucky enough to have spent the day with our large family in London, we must have been mad to move away, we miss them so much. We have loved having our three grandchildren around us, we hadn't seen them since July. Here's hoping those of us waiting to sell our homes find a buyer soon. We have enjoyed watching some great TV this evening, we watched the Strictly Come Dancing Christmas special and a great musical version of A Christmas Carol yesterday afternoon. If anyone remembers Upstairs Downstairs, the life of domestic servants and their employers Lord and Lady Bellamy in Eaton Square before the first world war, it is being updated to the 30's for a new series starring Dame Eileen Aitkins and Rose will be housekeeper. Sounds good, watch out for it. We travel back on 27th I am so looking forward to spending a whole day tomorrow with our kids and grandkids. Take care all.

I can't wait for this new series!!! I absolutely LOVED Upstairs Downstairs!
Old Dec 26th 2010, 1:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks, Charleygirl. I still feel dreadful but I will mend now that I have Mucinex. Every time I get a cough I can hardly breathe because I am asthmatic. An ex-boyfriend came over today and cooked dinner for me, changed the cat litter, etc. Made my life much easier.
Old Dec 26th 2010, 2:19 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
I don't know what link is supposed to be, but it just takes me to my own Gmail inbox.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.