Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Mar 21st 2011, 12:07 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by windsong
I got a lottery ticket - $5 worth - this weekend, too. I don't normally play the lottery but since I decided to return home, it might be a good idea
So how did you do? Better than me I hope.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 12:07 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bandrui
Me too. I have now decided to buy a weekly lottery ticket with the UK in mind. for both of us!
for us all.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 12:45 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Me too. I have now decided to buy a weekly lottery ticket with the UK in mind. for both of us!
We could create a pool.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 1:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Cheers and anyone else who would like to give me some car advice:
I have been thinking a lot about what kind of car I should get when I move back to the UK.
Right now I have a Nissan 240SX which I adore... sporty, lots of power, 4 cyl, good on gas, low maintenance, great handling, not for snow and ice,
and I have a Toyota 4 x 4 pick-up truck... very useful, great on gas, good on snow, works for my gardening jobs, etc.
I love cars, always have, and do not want a boring run-of-the-mill car. Ideally I would like something that has the benefits of both of these since I certainly do not want to be running 2 vehicles in the UK.
I was talking to the owner of the local garage today and he said I should take a look at the Nissan Skyline. (I am a big Nissan fan.) Not available here but made for the European market. I checked online and yes, I would definitely like that but not very useful if I end up gardening there and probably not good on ice and snow either. It's a dilemma because I want a car that is sporty and fun with great handling but also practical and economical to run and able to be used for gardening (though the gardening is perhaps just a maybe).
I do not like squared-off designs. I like something smooth and sleek, low maintenance, good acceleration and good mileage. I think perhaps what I am looking for doesn't exist but any ideas?
Hahahaaha A Skyline. Oh boy thats all you need, they've been popular HOT cars for years, maybe you dont really need one, they are Fast and Very Expensive, maybe you could find an old one cheap in the UK as they were grey market cars, more recently sold in America as the GT-R...
Old Mar 21st 2011, 1:40 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK-Silly Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by aviva
I'd probably call myself a guilt-ridden pescatarian.
That's me too! I didn't know there was a name for it but now that's what I will tell everyone I am
Old Mar 21st 2011, 1:53 am
Forum Regular

aviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to all
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK-Silly Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

I feel like such a hypocrite. I can buy fillet of fish or headless shrimp but nothing with eyes. I draw the line at lobster and crab in any form....overwhelming guilt there for me.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 2:59 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, Linda, wouldn't it be wonderful to go back home with no worries about where to live - with our beloved pets in tow Miracles DO happen. We just have to believe (and I try).
Old Mar 21st 2011, 3:15 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aviva
I feel like such a hypocrite. I can buy fillet of fish or headless shrimp but nothing with eyes. I draw the line at lobster and crab in any form....overwhelming guilt there for me.
I am the same way - I won't buy fish that looks like real fish and I definitely won't buy lobster or crab. When I see people buying live lobster they get a really filthy look from me - as if they couldn't afford to buy something else. Oh noooo! They have to KILL! Don't get me started on that one.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 3:35 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

The mega lottery is now at $244,000,000. I may be greedy but that is too much money for me.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 4:24 am
BE Forum Addict

ISLAMIC LAW USED TO DODGE STAMP DUTY

A scheme brought in by Labour in 2005, allows followers of Islam to buy property without paying the

Monday March 21,2011
By Daily Express Reporter
SHARIA law is being used by house buyers posing as Muslims to dodge stamp duty, it was revealed yesterday.
A scheme, brought in by Labour in 2005, allows followers of Islam to buy property without paying the tax.
Paying interest is banned under Sharia law, so Muslims are allowed to buy a house and then sell it on to an offshore financial company.
They then lease the house from the company instead of taking out a mortgage, which would include interest payments. Stamp duty, which is applicable to all properties worth £125,000 and over, does not have to be paid on properties which are immediately sold on.
But the loophole, which costs the Treasury £40million a year, is now being used by some who pretend to be Muslim.
Sultan Choudhury, from the UK Islamic Finance Secretariat, said: “It was certainly not envisaged that some tax advisers would manipulate the legislation on behalf of their clients to avoid paying stamp duty at all.”

Read more: http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/...#ixzz1HCl8fhvb
Old Mar 21st 2011, 4:38 am
BE Forum Addict

STAN LAUREL’S CHILDHOOD HOME GOES ON SALE

Terraced house in Bishop Auckland, Co Durham, was once home to comedy legend Stan Laurel

Monday March 21,2011
By Sarah O’Grady
Have your say(0)
THE childhood home of Stan Laurel will be auctioned later this month.
Bids start at £40,000 for the two-bedroom property in Bishop Auckland, County Durham, where the star – one half of the legendary Hollywood comedy duo Laurel and Hardy – lived with his parents.
The empty house, home to Laurel and his actor parents when he was a baby, is up for sale through Keith Pattinson estate agents.
Although Laurel was born in Cumbria, he spent much of his childhood in Bishop Auckland and was educated at the town’s King James Grammar School.
Above the front door of the mid-terraced house a blue commemorative plaque reads: “Stan Laurel (Arthur Stanley Jefferson) of Laurel and Hardy lived in this house with his parents. He was baptised in St Peter’s Church on 21st October 1891.”
A spokeswoman for the estate agents said she hoped the property would attract Laurel and Hardy fans.
Peter Jones, secretary of the Laurel and Hardy appreciation society, based in Bishop Auckland, said: “It seems like a really cheap price for the house.”
County councillor Sam Zair said the Laurel link was “vastly important” for attracting tourists and generating money for the local economy.
The auction will take place at the Newcastle Falcons Rugby Club ground on March 29.
Laurel died aged 74 in the US in 1965.

Read more: http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/...#ixzz1HClrShjr
Old Mar 21st 2011, 4:45 am
BE Forum Addict

120 MILLIONAIRES A DAY CREATED AS BRITAIN RECOVERS

The number of millionaires in Britain is growing by more than a hundred every day

Monday March 21,2011
By Laura Caroe
Have your say(0)
THE number of millionaires in Britain is growing by more than a hundred every day, as the country emerges from the depths of the recession.
Figures from Barclays Wealth show that there are currently 619,000 millionaires in the UK – up from 528,000 two years ago.
A combination of the stock market recovery, private enterprise and an influx of rich foreigners has meant an increase of more than 120 super-rich a day.
Of the total, about 86,000 have more than £5million in assets – up 19 per cent over the same period.
Alex Cheatle, founder of Ten Lifestyle Management, which looks after the leisure demands of the very wealthy, says his client base is booming.
He charges £300 a month for a range of services, from booking a table at Heston Blumenthal’s latest restaurant to finding a £10million house in London.
“The City is doing very well,” he said. “But we are also seeing the sons and daughters of wealthy Russians, Chinese and Indians coming to settle in London.
“They are millionaires in their own right and can take advantage of the tax advantages of being non-domiciled. With all the political instability, London is a safe heaven – and it’s fun.”
David Semaya, head of UK and Ireland private wealth at Barclays Wealth, said the growth in the ranks of the super-rich went far wider than City bankers. He said the number of his clients, who must have at least £500,000 of assets for investment, had grown significantly since 2008.
He said: “Despite one of the deepest recessions ever experienced by this country, these findings indicate wealth creation is starting to recover – and this trend is set to continue at a steady pace.”

SEARCH UK NEWS for:

Lisa Tse, 31, one of the new self-made rich was born in Devon to a family from Hong Kong and moved to London to study. Six years ago she set up her own design consultancy, which develops video game characters. Her wealth was boosted in 2009 when she established The Sorority, a networking club for female professionals that charges £1,000 a year membership.
She put in £50,000 of her own money as a start-up. She said: “In the midst of the recession women professionals could see that they needed to get off their backsides, be pro-active and do something about it. That’s what we help them do.”
The study by Ledbury, a research group, revealed the largest number of millionaires – 287,000, or 46 per cent of the total – live in London and the South-east.
The Midlands is the second wealthiest region with 92,000, while the North-west has the third highest number, with 64,000 living in the region.

Read more: http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/...#ixzz1HCqLDnhI
Old Mar 21st 2011, 12:43 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cheers
Is it too late to change my order???

I would like

roast pork (w/applesauce), roast potatoes and veg (broccolli, cauliflower & carrots) - all smothered with lovely gravy.

Old Mar 21st 2011, 12:52 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Indeed. The county of Middlesex no longer exists.

True - and confusing - as its name is still in use in postcodes ... such as mine!
Old Mar 21st 2011, 1:06 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

I feel very close to the Grove side of my family. All growers, gardeners and seedsmen.
I've always loved growing things even though everyone in my immediate family, including grandparents, hated gardening. When we started doing family history, it became clear where I got it from. Both sides of my dad's family were farmers. One side in Ireland and one in Yorkshire.

My dad's family were an interesting lot - farmers in Ireland who lost everything in the potato famine and moved to York where they lived in the worst slum conditions imaginable. It must have been so awful to lose so much. Most of my GGG grandfather's sons went off the rails (I found reports of them in the local York papers) but one got a union job in the glassworks and bought his family a little terraced house. That was my GG grandfather. His son became an errand boy in a retail store, learned all he could, and when he was 25, he opened his own bakery. That was my G grandfather.

That union job changed everything for my family. It's amazing to think how far we've come.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.