Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Jun 8th 2013, 6:45 pm
Banned

sile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nice
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Off topic....but can someone tell me how to find my old posts? I cannot seem to find them when I go into my profile.
Old Jun 8th 2013, 7:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sile
Off topic....but can someone tell me how to find my old posts? I cannot seem to find them when I go into my profile.
Click on your name where it says you have a post, then scroll down to find older posts: Find more posts by sile.
Attached Thumbnails Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up-screen-shot-2013-06-08-20.02.54.png  
Old Jun 8th 2013, 7:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Between two worlds..I think the hardest part for me was the thought of leaving my grown children behind but I think when they reach a certain age they do have lives of their own and very busy ones. Even though we now live only 2 hours from 2 of our children we rarely see them. So moving to the UK would not have been difficult but my daughter is a different matter she lives just 15mins from us and calls us and pops in to make sure we are alright. I think for me to leave her now would be really hard especially after we have both been sick. If she were married I think it would be different.

Once you get on that plane and fly to another country with children you have made an enormous decision and the longer you stay the less likely it is that you will go back without that feeling of loss. The only time you can leave with children is before they get passed 11. How many of us really sat down and thought of the future the next 30 years before we left the UK. I dont think many.
Yes trotty I can quite see that, if your feelings about leaving yr grown children were torn before, it's even harder now to contemplate, especially this daughter who has become even more important in your lives since you've both been sick.

Well in my case when I went to the US, not directly from UK but from the country where USC DH and I met and had been living, with our first child, I wasn't really thinking about the future at all! I was still madly in love, and it all seemed an adventure, and I never really took on board that if I wasn't careful, I'd end up staying there for the duration! We never had the sort of discussion I'd now urge any couple of different nationalities to have...where shall we live, will we ever go back to my country if I wanted to, etc etc.

In the end it worked out well for the kids, who had a stable childhood in a very nice US small town, where they made friends who are still good friends. And I enjoyed much about living there, and threw myself into the community...but I missed England more and more as time went on.

It must be even harder to go back to UK when there are grandchildren; I don't have any yet so this isn't yet an issue.
Old Jun 8th 2013, 7:09 pm
Banned

sile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nice

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
Click on your name where it says you have a post, then scroll down to find older posts: Find more posts by sile.
Wow, that was easy! Thank you!
Old Jun 8th 2013, 8:21 pm
Banned

Now, how do I post a photo from my iPad?
Old Jun 8th 2013, 9:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

between two worlds...Yes I agree if there is one thing I would tell anyone emigrating to really sit down and think about it very carefully and make sure to talk it over with your OH and have some sort of agreement on what to do if things dont go well. Like you once I realized there was no going back I decided to throw myself into the life we made and it was good but I never stopped missing home. My Mother would come and visit and when she left I would want to get on the plane with her. When I went home for holidays I found it very hard to get on that plane to return. And as we get older I think we look for the familiar and it does get worse it seems we have that homing pigeon desire.
Old Jun 8th 2013, 9:32 pm

Cardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NiHao
Cardienscarf,

I loved reading your post about all the beautiful places near you and that you have visited customers in. Some of it sounds breathtaking. There is so much natural beauty in the US, its often on such a big scale.

You should try and find a piece of artwork or two depicting one of your favorite views or maybe the cornfields so you can hang them in your new home, a keepsake and also so you can show your British family and friends

i'm so happy for you about your job its going to be so wonderful that you will get to come back and visit. Almost the best of both worlds
Thank you. I always wanted the best of both worlds and it seems to be happening!

That's a good idea about pieces of artwork. I shall see what I can find. One thing I've always wanted is a relief map of Colorado. Perhaps now that I'm leaving, I'll get one
Old Jun 8th 2013, 9:34 pm

Cardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lf1
I have been talking about taking singing lessons since the 90's and never got around to it, so there must be something telling me to sing. I always enjoyed singing in choirs as a child. The first night we arrived home we went to the village pub. Some locals asked us to join them for a drink and I was asked if I was a singer. I said no, but I would like to take lessons. Before I knew it, I was singing the scales in the pub and was declared to be a soprano. That was it, there was no going back. Fortunately, both of the choirs I have sung with do not do auditions, so the choir masters haven't yet caught up with me.

Yes, I have made friends through the choir. There are four of us who have a great time in the choir and socialsing outside of the choir. I feel as if I have known them for years. Just off to meet up with them and their OH's as it Quiz Night tonight. Might squeeze in a couple of libations too!
Love it! And I hope you had one for me
Old Jun 8th 2013, 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by between two worlds
Sounds as if he will be fine. But yes, this is the hard part, when you have grown children. Many of us in the same boat, torn in different directions.

The good thing is, there IS Skype...and if one has the ability to travel, or the offspring do, that helps greatly. But still, it's hard. Here in France, many many young people are leaving to work in the US, Canada, or Australia. This global dispersion of families is becoming more and more common. Of course, if we are expats, we did it ourselves once!
I think about that now sometimes and how hard it must have been for my parents and how gracious they were.
Old Jun 8th 2013, 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Between two worlds..I think the hardest part for me was the thought of leaving my grown children behind but I think when they reach a certain age they do have lives of their own and very busy ones. Even though we now live only 2 hours from 2 of our children we rarely see them. So moving to the UK would not have been difficult but my daughter is a different matter she lives just 15mins from us and calls us and pops in to make sure we are alright. I think for me to leave her now would be really hard especially after we have both been sick. If she were married I think it would be different.

Once you get on that plane and fly to another country with children you have made an enormous decision and the longer you stay the less likely it is that you will go back without that feeling of loss. The only time you can leave with children is before they get passed 11. How many of us really sat down and thought of the future the next 30 years before we left the UK. I dont think many.
I know I didn't! I wonder how I would have done it differently if I'd really thought it through. I probably would still have come to the US but left earlier before either of my sons left home so they would had to come with me! My youngest went back to England as soon as he graduated High School. He always said he would. Even though he'd been here since he was 4, he always felt more English than American. Then I was waiting for the right time to leave my eldest but it's never going to come.

I'd like to scoop up all the lovely people I know and take them with me.
Old Jun 8th 2013, 9:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

NiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond repute

Cardienscarf,

If you had a local artist whose work you liked that would be the best but you might find something that appeals on www.esty.com - just put in Colorado

Also www.art.com they have some interesting prints of old travel ad posters for Colorado. If you see one you like just don't buy it until you have signed up to get email alerts from them because they are constantly having sales.
Old Jun 8th 2013, 10:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
I can't think of any area of the US that I can say is beautiful.
Cheers
Well - I can: Great North Woods of MN and WI; Lake of the Woods, MN; Lake Superior: Grand Marais, MN; Savannah, GA; off islands near Sarasota, FL and Bradenton, FL; Charleston, SC; Smoky Mountains, TN; Chautauqua, NY; upper NY state; upper reaches of the Mississippi River; the Upper Peninsular of MI.
Old Jun 8th 2013, 10:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NiHao
Cheers and Jasper, I love you guys and you make me feel better about my 20 years away, its just a blink of the eye right?
You got that right, but it sure felt like a blinking long blink to me
Old Jun 8th 2013, 10:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
And 37 years here - ouch!!!!!

My SO seems to like Morrisons over there. I don't know one from the other, of course, but it won't be long before I find out.
When you coming home windsong? and will it be for good or holiday?
Old Jun 8th 2013, 11:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Cardienscarf
It is beautiful here. I am so lucky and thankful to have lived here. There are views that have literally taken my breath away. There is one in particular - heading south on 285, driving up Kenosha Pass, you get to the top, round a bend and then the whole of Park County is laid out in front of you with plains and mountains. It has made me gasp and brought tears to my eyes on more than one occasion. Then you descend into North Park and drive along a seemingly endless straight road to the south of Park County where you can turn off to the little town of South Park I will never forget it. It will always be with me.

I have driven through the eastern part of Wyoming quite a bit and there are beautiful parts there too - not quite as breath taking but still amazing formations. I've been caught in snow storms driving west on 18 from Lusk. Absolutely terrifying and I hope I never have to do it again, but there is still something beautiful about it.

There is a quilt store in Hemingford, NE that is in the middle of cornfields. You turn off the main road, drive down miles of dusty roads and, at this time of year, the sunflowers that grow wild on the side of the road all have their heads facing you as though they are smiling and welcoming you. This is a customer I shall always remember for their kind hospitality. They have a big kitchen off the store and cook lunch for the farm workers who come in at noon and they always invite me to stay and eat with them.

How did I get so lucky? I know I have had times of moaning about all the driving I have to do, the bad weather, the heat, the cold, the long distances between my customers but I have been to places I never would have gone (who goes to Cozad, NE on purpose??!) and met people I never would have known.

For me, it's impossible to describe it all - how can I expect a friend in England to understand cornfields as far as the eye can see and a sunset you can see 60 miles away - but I have it all with me. It's part of me now.

And .... I am so excited to be going home. To me, there is nothing like the English countryside or a bracing walk along the sea front, or a drink in the pub with some friends. I think all of us who return have the same feelings for all those things which is what calls us home.
WOW what a lovely post, it really is lovely how you describe the wonderful and beautiful places you have been to and the things you have seen, and the way you describe the hospitality of the people, I envy you having a job like that, I would have loved to travel around the USA as you have, and going to those out of the way places way off the tourist routes, how amazing your life must have been,
Yes your right, the U.S. is a beautiful country in so many ways, and many different kinds of beauty and splendor from state to state,
So your coming home, are you retiring in the U.K.? it reminds me of the film pretty woman ---- when the hotel manager says to Richard Gere ---- it must be very difficult to let something so beautiful go,
I think all expats who have returned home from America would agree that it wasn't easy to let such beauty go,
I for one have no regrets in coming home, and Ive said that there isn't a thing that I miss about the U.S.
but that isn't exactly true really, ----- really to be honest one cant paint that statement with such a big brush, in the whole picture there will obviously be many things that we all miss, especially if one has lived there for decades like many of us, ----- if we were to be honest with ourselves, and that goes for me too, the memories will last forever, and I wouldn't have changed a thing, I cant and wont knock America, I had a good life there for a long time, and Ive met some truly remarkable people there, Im just against the policies of government there now, and the in your face corporate greed,
but then we suddenly enter a new chapter in our lives when we get older, and for some of us the UK calls us back again,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.