Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Apr 27th 2011, 1:02 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by jasper123
Sorry it would be lovely and just what I would love to do, but the timings all wrong for me and Mum,
I would go in a heartbeat if I was already in the UK.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 1:44 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
It's got me thinking about Scotland again, too. Who wants crowds of people, gridlock and heat!
Amen, not to mention lots of snobs* and a lack of community spirit.

* Not saying all southerners are snobs obviously, but there's a sizable element. Whenever I read the comment sections of articles about the north in national newspapers, I realize that the south is filled with people who have ever been north of Watford and who are convinced that all of the north (plus Scotland and Wales) looks like Coronation Street, only more grim. I swear they think we stagger around half-starved, holding out our cloth caps in the hopes of a penny or two, which we will of course immediately spend on beer, fags and lottery tickets (if a violent hoodie doesn't steal it first. )
Old Apr 27th 2011, 2:05 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
You've got me there!

I'm thinking of spending time in the Canterbury area and Herne Bay is one of the hottest places in the UK, in spite of being on the coast. Plus the humidity can be unbearable in the south east. I've lived thirty years in Bermuda so know all about humidity and high temperatures. Don't particularly want to replicate that! Scotland sounds good!

The trouble is, the British Summer is the star attraction.
Yes I had my share of humidity in New Orleans. Would go out for lunch and felt as if I had taken a shower.

One thing I would like to replicate in England is the set up of rooms I have here... bedrooms on the East side where you get the rising sun but cool afternoons, and living area to the West. It does get really hot in the living room but I would rather that and be able to sleep at night.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 2:59 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Like America, like???
Troublemaker.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 3:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
Glad that was you windsong. I don't want to confuse bandrui with a new location. Anyway she wants to be in the South.
I'm already confused or, as I would put it, undecided.

I'm clear about what I want though: quintessential English countryside with rolling hills, no crowds, near deserted beaches and within my price range! (and there's more.)
Old Apr 27th 2011, 4:00 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bandrui
I'm already confused or, as I would put it, undecided.

I'm clear about what I want though: quintessential English countryside with rolling hills, no crowds, near deserted beaches and within my price range! (and there's more.)
You cannot beat the rolling English hills; that's for sure!
Old Apr 27th 2011, 7:51 am
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Amen, not to mention lots of snobs* and a lack of community spirit.

* Not saying all southerners are snobs obviously, but there's a sizable element. Whenever I read the comment sections of articles about the north in national newspapers, I realize that the south is filled with people who have ever been north of Watford and who are convinced that all of the north (plus Scotland and Wales) looks like Coronation Street, only more grim. I swear they think we stagger around half-starved, holding out our cloth caps in the hopes of a penny or two, which we will of course immediately spend on beer, fags and lottery tickets (if a violent hoodie doesn't steal it first. )

Well ..... don't you?
Old Apr 27th 2011, 10:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Not me. I remember reading that too. Don't know who said it.
#1033 on this thread. You must have found the Guardian article about where Brits look to go when they retire because there are cuts and pastes from it.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/ma...t-saga-housing

Or found the actual Saga survey.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Apr 27th 2011 at 10:52 am.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 12:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of
Wink Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by bandrui
Yes I had my share of humidity in New Orleans. Would go out for lunch and felt as if I had taken a shower.

One thing I would like to replicate in England is the set up of rooms I have here... bedrooms on the East side where you get the rising sun but cool afternoons, and living area to the West. It does get really hot in the living room but I would rather that and be able to sleep at night.
Well, Bandrui - Cannot think why you would want to ''replicate rooms'' in the UK. My Thai Wife (who obviously feels the cold) and I, are in a small four bed detached, here in Shropshire, and since we have Central Heating (Now turned down very low) ALL the rooms are the same temperature.- Even the Verandah & Sunlounge, which have no heating -. It makes no difference whatsoever, as to the sun direction! Don
Old Apr 27th 2011, 3:00 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Wedding fans set up camp outside Westminster Abbey

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13207516

Pre-dawn military preparation this morning (Wednesday)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13205291
Old Apr 27th 2011, 3:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
These kind of shopping plazas are much more common in the UK now, as are big out-of-town malls.

Of course, it's stores like Target and Home Depot that are the big corporate behemoths you're all complaining about, so I'm not sure if this is a curse or a blessing ;-)
These shopping plazas outside towns have killed many town centres in the US. It is very very sad and the UK must make sure things don't go the same way there.

In some towns, eg Cheltenham in Gloucestershire, the "mall" has been built right in the centre of town, so the town still thrives as a very busy shopping town with all the other shops as well, not just the ones in the "Arcade" --actually there are two "arcades" or malls in the town center.

Big appliance shops and furniture shops and supermarkets have moved out of town where there is parking--but wonderful Waitrose is close enough to the town centre to walk.

And despite everything bad about Tesco, at least they have kept a small supermarket right in town called Tesco Metro, a godsend to those without a car.

This is one town I know well--I think other UK towns have done similar things--it would be very very shortsighted to let the out-of-town shopping plazas proliferate until town centres die.

When in US I lived in a very small town that had a tiny Main Street I could walk to, hanging on by the skin of its teeth, and whenever possible I shopped there...

Urban planners are now talking about building "new" kinds of communities where you live, work, shop and play all in one area, and walk from home to work, walk to shops etc......hello?!!!! This is not new, just an oldfashioned proper town before the spread of suburbs!

tina
Old Apr 27th 2011, 11:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Well, Bandrui - Cannot think why you would want to ''replicate rooms'' in the UK. My Thai Wife (who obviously feels the cold) and I, are in a small four bed detached, here in Shropshire, and since we have Central Heating (Now turned down very low) ALL the rooms are the same temperature.- Even the Verandah & Sunlounge, which have no heating -. It makes no difference whatsoever, as to the sun direction! Don
I was talking of the sun in summer. It was in response to a post about high heat somewhere. (here it is: #1530).
Here on the West Coast of Canada, we have similar temperatures to the UK and if the sun is beating in through the window it can get quite hot. I have noticed a few properties on Rightmove that have ceiling fans so I suppose someone else thinks it's an issue too.

Last edited by bandrui; Apr 27th 2011 at 11:36 pm.
Old Apr 28th 2011, 1:25 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

What are you doing for the wedding?

I just got an order from SWMBO that it would be nice to have cinnamon rolls and hot chocolate to sustain us during the night. Off to the store I go.
Old Apr 28th 2011, 1:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

I just got an order from SWMBO that it would be nice to have cinnamon rolls and hot chocolate to sustain us during the night. Off to the store I go.

No Cheers - that's too American!! You should have British food - how about tea and scones????
Old Apr 28th 2011, 1:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Gosh, I have been here 30+ years and I don't know what SWMBO is

I am going to TRY to get up at 4 am to watch it live online. I know I can watch it after the fact but it's just not the same

I've been looking for hints about Kate's dress - what it will look like - but I can't find a darned thing!

Cheers, are you staying up all night?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.