Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Apr 25th 2011, 11:19 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by bandrui
That's very interesting Bee. Hopefully the Archbishop of Canterbury will have his beard and hair trimmed before the ceremony. What a mess!

Stephen Harper (PM of Canada) was invited but declined because we are in the midst of a General Election (May 2). Hopefully he'll be gone.
Good Lord he is a mess, I hope he does trim it all and look a bit smarter on the day.
Old Apr 26th 2011, 12:31 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Good Lord he is a mess, I hope he does trim it all and look a bit smarter on the day.
Looks like he just came in from herding the sheep
Old Apr 26th 2011, 1:35 am

anishq is just really niceanishq is just really niceanishq is just really niceanishq is just really niceanishq is just really niceanishq is just really niceanishq is just really niceanishq is just really niceanishq is just really nice

Originally Posted by Mallory
I can only remember Ena Sharples, Elsie Tanner and Len Fairclough.
Yes, and in black and white.
Old Apr 26th 2011, 4:33 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

This is a quote from another forum and you maybe interested in it.

Life in the US does seem, in retrospect, ridiculously 'easy' -- lower cost of living, people easier to meet and talk to, far less traffic, far more parking, better customer service, etc. On bad days here, I do miss all that stuff, particularly the affordability: my wife and I are both lucky enough to be earning at/near the top of our potential in the UK, and yet somehow we are just about getting by, whereas in the States, in the same circs, we would be saving a good deal of money at the end of each month. It's the sense of being perpetually on the back foot, as it were, that makes life here feel so difficult.

On the flipside, though, it is wonderful to be able to nose around all these little villages and discover all these country pubs and woodland walks and historical sites within a half-hour's drive of where we live. (Not to mention popping up to London on the train.) Even though there is much that I miss about the States, we were living in a stretch of the Midwest that is not particularly known for its abundance of places of interest. When I consider moving back (as I still do, often) that is the thing that most often gives me pause.
Old Apr 26th 2011, 7:17 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Me and Mum bought a nice 42 inch sony TV a couple of months ago from comet on sale for £399 plus if you pay em £40 extra they deliver and set it up and connect your VCR and CD/DVD player and also program all the channels, we have 99 free channels we dont have a cable box it all runs from the outside antenna on the roof of the house, and its just as clear a picture as when I had cable in Vegas,
The system here in U.K. is I think rather unique --- you buy a new TV and when its hooked up you have all these wonderful channels built inside your TV, just pay your TV licence every year and its all free, ---- unless you are my Mum whos almost 92 and gets her TV licence free of charge
You now have the digital free channels Rodney, it was introduced area by area in and around 2009, when I was in the Lake District it was just coming into play and my old TV wouldn't pick up any of the new channels, just the standard BBC, ITV and so on. So your Sony TV is one of the new digital TV's, and what a cheap price for a Sony 42".
Old Apr 26th 2011, 7:20 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Well I dont know Barb but Barbies were not around Australia when I was living there in the mid 60,s at least I never heard of them but USA has been doing BBQ'S since way before MR Ed was on TV and that was a mighty long time ago,
Today me and Mum went to beach together, and guess what I saw, two women and a man sitting on the beach BBQuing ---- they had this real tiny little mini like round BBQ,
It is so HOT here and its been going on for ages this sun and heat, we havent seen rain for such a long time, this is just not the England that I used to know.
Then I stand corrected, maybe it's just that the Aussie's seem to have claimed it as their own invention LOL!!

Wow no way are we having HOT weather like you down south. Well a few days have been hot enough for even me to sit in the shade, but not every single day. It is 8.19am here and is overcast but I have noticed that the mornings tend to be like this and then the sun comes out about 12 o clock.

On Friday night we had a massive storm, lightening, rain and even HAILSTONES and an hour later it had gone and the next day on Saturday was a lovely sunny day, so it's a bit more of a mix up North I think.
Old Apr 26th 2011, 8:09 am
Home Sweet Home

I won't be getting cable when I move as I really don't watch enough TV to justify the cost plus I have no television ha ha!!

It is with my stuff still in Australia and it can stay there until I am ready to send for it.

In the meantime I will use my laptop for watching TV and have found that Virgin do a good package for landline and broadband.

http://virgin.net/allyours/bbandphon...yDownload.html
Old Apr 26th 2011, 3:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

New pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/islandw...7626458512223/
Old Apr 26th 2011, 4:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Sally, Could you use this. I just read it and you could have this trip for free. It is short notice, like next week and we could have used it but you still have to come up with the airfare for the US to UK.

Quote:

So… DH and I have friends from America who visit us every year and are our usual travelling buddies. D & E and I went all through school together and have been friends since 1st grade. The three of us all turn 65 this year and have planned to celebrate by taking a really nice trip.

We booked a 10 day Edinburgh, Highlands & Islands trip through Great Rail Journeys. We paid £995 per person which includes hotels, rail journeys and breakfast and dinners each day. We have added a night in Edinburgh and another night in Kendal to the end of the trip, which takes our holiday to Wednesday, 11th May.

We have been looking forward to this for months now.

Now for the sad news - Our friends’ daughter-in-law passed away Saturday morning. She has been ill for a long time but this has come rather unexpectedly, to say the least. No one thought she would pass at such a young age, in her late 30’s with a 9 year old son.

D&E were expected to arrive here next Wednesday and we were to leave early Saturday morning, stop overnight in Kendal and then carry on to Edinburgh to for evening meal on Sunday and meet up with the rest of our tour group. Understandably, they are not coming.

They did not have cancellation insurance (only health ins) and it is too late to get a refund. DH and I are going on the trip as planned. D&E’s tickets can be transferred to someone else for £30 each admin fee.

Our dilemma is finding two people who can get away on such short notice. We have been trying all week-end to find someone to use the trip.
I have asked several folks we are friends with here but no one can go at such short notice. I asked a couple in NJ but they can’t swing the air fare.

D&E are not looking for any money for the trip itself.

I never thought it would be this hard to give away a £2000 holiday for two.

Is anyone out there in Expat land adventurous?
Hey - I'm 65 but young in the heart and soul! We love younger friends!!

Need to know in by 5pm today - I really don't want to see this trip go to waste!!!
Old Apr 26th 2011, 4:17 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

I wish, cheers. Thanks for thinking of me but we only have the budget for one trip back to the UK this year and it's already booked for September.

That sounds like a fantastic trip for someone!
Old Apr 26th 2011, 4:38 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Sally, Could you use this. I just read it and you could have this trip for free. It is short notice, like next week and we could have used it but you still have to come up with the airfare for the US to UK.

Quote:

So… DH and I have friends from America who visit us every year and are our usual travelling buddies. D & E and I went all through school together and have been friends since 1st grade. The three of us all turn 65 this year and have planned to celebrate by taking a really nice trip.

We booked a 10 day Edinburgh, Highlands & Islands trip through Great Rail Journeys. We paid £995 per person which includes hotels, rail journeys and breakfast and dinners each day. We have added a night in Edinburgh and another night in Kendal to the end of the trip, which takes our holiday to Wednesday, 11th May.

We have been looking forward to this for months now.

Now for the sad news - Our friends’ daughter-in-law passed away Saturday morning. She has been ill for a long time but this has come rather unexpectedly, to say the least. No one thought she would pass at such a young age, in her late 30’s with a 9 year old son.

D&E were expected to arrive here next Wednesday and we were to leave early Saturday morning, stop overnight in Kendal and then carry on to Edinburgh to for evening meal on Sunday and meet up with the rest of our tour group. Understandably, they are not coming.

They did not have cancellation insurance (only health ins) and it is too late to get a refund. DH and I are going on the trip as planned. D&E’s tickets can be transferred to someone else for £30 each admin fee.

Our dilemma is finding two people who can get away on such short notice. We have been trying all week-end to find someone to use the trip.
I have asked several folks we are friends with here but no one can go at such short notice. I asked a couple in NJ but they can’t swing the air fare.

D&E are not looking for any money for the trip itself.

I never thought it would be this hard to give away a £2000 holiday for two.

Is anyone out there in Expat land adventurous?
Hey - I'm 65 but young in the heart and soul! We love younger friends!!

Need to know in by 5pm today - I really don't want to see this trip go to waste!!!
Send Bee (she can take her sister as a thanks for letting me stay), I bet she could do with a tour after all that interviewing and flat hunting.
Old Apr 26th 2011, 4:39 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
I wish, cheers. Thanks for thinking of me but we only have the budget for one trip back to the UK this year and it's already booked for September.

That sounds like a fantastic trip for someone!
What a shame.

Cheers, could you put it on the USA forum as well to see if there is any interest?
Old Apr 26th 2011, 5:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Beedubya
What a shame.

Cheers, could you put it on the USA forum as well to see if there is any interest?
wot is the USA forum?
Old Apr 26th 2011, 6:15 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
wot is the USA forum?
http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=57
Old Apr 26th 2011, 6:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bandrui
I have been thinking about this too Pete. I wonder, in those period cottages where you are sleeping right under the roof, how hot those bedrooms would get. Also wonder if thatch might be a great heat insulator, summer and winter.
You've got me there!

I'm thinking of spending time in the Canterbury area and Herne Bay is one of the hottest places in the UK, in spite of being on the coast. Plus the humidity can be unbearable in the south east. I've lived thirty years in Bermuda so know all about humidity and high temperatures. Don't particularly want to replicate that! Scotland sounds good!

The trouble is, the British Summer is the star attraction.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Apr 26th 2011 at 7:07 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.