Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Sep 8th 2017, 4:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Great posts Ladies...

When I first came to America there were two things that I noticed straight away.

#1 how clean this place is, no trash in streets etc.

#2 was great customer service in supermarkets, they packed your bags and insisted on taking them out to the car.

On the whole the place is still pretty clean and everyone picks up after their dogs, the supermarket service has taken a massive dive, not many sackers and rarely get an offer to have someone push out my groceries, not sure where Im going with this TBH, just saying...

The dirtiest place I've ever been was Spain, on the Med, it makes the UK look like a palace, dirt and paper all over the street, I was very surprised.
I hate having my groceries packed for me. They don't seem to have a clue. A hot rotisserie chicken placed on top of ice cream...heavy veg placed on top of a loaf of bread, tomatoes, berries. I always make sure I grab the items first and bag them myself.
Old Sep 8th 2017, 5:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the response. I am fine with you moving it to a thread of it's own under whatever title you choose to use.
Old Sep 8th 2017, 9:26 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
- if I live like this I will wither away to nothing from the sheer boredom of British retirement life.
TeHe. "Wither away". I love that.
It is exactly how I feel & I'm in NewZealand
Old Sep 9th 2017, 12:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Islandwoman120...please do not cut and past your post as suggested above...as we do not allow duplicate posts.

I do not think your post belongs in the Back Home forum...but I do think it would be best in a thread of its own. If you wish I will move it and the subsequent replies into a new thread.
Sorry for the wrong suggestion - I didn't mean for anyone to break site rules
Old Sep 9th 2017, 12:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
Hi Derrygal - Yes,you got the right person. I did start a U3A in Dawlish but don't belong to it and never have beyond the first year when I was getting it established, as it has a load of rules and regulations which don't sit well with everyone. It has about 100 members now and they seem happy enough. I mix with a small group of people here who are interested in fibers and textiles as I am. My general impression of the country is what I wrote - I don't understand the desire to be shut in individual homes and rarely mix because people have always done certain things on certain days e.g. laundry on a Monday, shopping on a Wednesday and Saturday, as though those days and events are carved in stone. It's the 7 year itch syndrome coming out in me - the rose coloured spectacles didn't last long! I was actually toying with the idea of visiting the Virgin islands a few weeks ago - good thing I didn't go! Now there is probably nothing left to visit there. I don't know what the next step will be for me - if I live like this I will wither away to nothing from the sheer boredom of British retirement life. I fill my days with service to others via work for Syrian refugees for a Plymouth based charity; I gave up a local charity where I had helped for 5 years as they no longer had need of all the volunteers and it was time to move on. Next step unknown. Watch this space.
Glad that I didn't get you mixed up with someone else! I think it is wonderful that you are giving back to the community with your volunteer work and helping Syrian refugees. The world needs more people like you.
I have so many things that I want to do but never have the time! Too much work here and I also babysit a lot. That said - when I eventually retire (not sure that will be any time soon) I plan on volunteering. All the best to you for whatever you plan to do or wherever you plan to go in the future
Old Sep 9th 2017, 12:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BEVS
TeHe. "Wither away". I love that.
It is exactly how I feel & I'm in NewZealand
I don't feel that I will wither away here - but I do worry about working myself to death here in the US...............................
Old Sep 9th 2017, 12:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Smile Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

I hate having my groceries packed for me. They don't seem to have a clue. A hot rotisserie chicken placed on top of ice cream...heavy veg placed on top of a loaf of bread, tomatoes, berries. I always make sure I grab the items first and bag them myself.
I get most of my groceries from Aldi so not only do I pack them myself, I also bring my own cloth bags. I also save a ton of money! I get my thriftiness from my Scottish mother
Old Sep 9th 2017, 3:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Derrygal
I get most of my groceries from Aldi so not only do I pack them myself, I also bring my own cloth bags. I also save a ton of money! I get my thriftiness from my Scottish mother
I wish we had Aldi and Lidl out here on the West Coast, I know my in laws use both in the UK.

There is nothing wrong with being thrifty, it makes perfect sense to me.
Old Sep 9th 2017, 3:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Believe me, I'm in the same boat as you, I hate people messing up my groceries, then again I've had 24 years in the grocery biz and know the do's and donts, Eggs on top, careful handling of the Banana's, soap in seperate bags etc, lets not discuss the bread n eggs. lol.

We would train people to sack properly years ago, today it all gets chucked in plastic bags with little to no care by some, usually a checker, as the supermarkets want to save money on labor by not hiring so many sackers.

I find a checker that does me a good job then always look for them and will wait in a longer line if need be, it works for me, I steer clear of the morons.

I never use self check, its just another way for them to hire less people and save money while you do the checkers work for FREE.
Old Sep 9th 2017, 3:24 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Derrygal
Cloth bags? Ooo yes.

I would like to see plastic bags wiped entirely from the face of this planet.
Old Sep 9th 2017, 7:06 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

I had the same experience in 2010, of people not clearing snow from the pavement. That year I was still living in Canada, but my mum, living in Sussex had a bad case of shingles, so I came back to nurse her just before the big snow fall. In her large Sussex village almost nobody cleared the snow from their drive or the pavement in front of their house. I was baffled, not only because I was coming from Canada, but also because I remembered people clearing the snow during the big snowfalls during my childhood in SE London.

One factor seemed to be an urban myth that, if you cleared the snow from the pavement, you could be sued for damages if someone tripped and fell. This was nonsense. In fact, if you don't clear the snow and ice on the path to your front door, going over your own land, then you might be successfully sued if someone falls as a result.
Old Sep 9th 2017, 8:08 am
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha
I had the same experience in 2010, of people not clearing snow from the pavement. That year I was still living in Canada, but my mum, living in Sussex had a bad case of shingles, so I came back to nurse her just before the big snow fall. In her large Sussex village almost nobody cleared the snow from their drive or the pavement in front of their house. I was baffled, not only because I was coming from Canada, but also because I remembered people clearing the snow during the big snowfalls during my childhood in SE London.

One factor seemed to be an urban myth that, if you cleared the snow from the pavement, you could be sued for damages if someone tripped and fell. This was nonsense. In fact, if you don't clear the snow and ice on the path to your front door, going over your own land, then you might be successfully sued if someone falls as a result.
That's the same winter I returned, and I was staying with friends in Purley, Surrey. They lived at the top of a hill, with 127+ steps up from the road below, which led to the train station and the town. At the top of the steps was a rank of grit bins,with salt and sand inside. No one, absolutely no one, opened the bins to put down the salt + sand mixture - they said that was for the Council to do. No one cleared the steps, even though some elderly people used them daily. Which meant that the compressed snow became ice, making the situation worse. When I pitched a fit about lazy British people (!), and gave the comparison with the rules in places I had lived in the US, one man did come out and clear the area in front of his house, and even cleared the 39 steps from the road to my friends house. He also told my friend that I was correct as he had also lived in the US and knew the winter rules. I told my friend that the Council would not be able to cope as it was not a tiny snowfall but a blizzard that had even closed Gatwick airport, and that citizens needed to be proactive. She was probably glad when I moved away to the Westcountry!
Old Sep 9th 2017, 8:33 am
Forum Regular

black swan has a brilliant futureblack swan has a brilliant futureblack swan has a brilliant futureblack swan has a brilliant futureblack swan has a brilliant futureblack swan has a brilliant future

I am living in Western Australia. The check out ladies here have to stand & pack the plastic bags as part of their job. They do a very fine job.
We have had Aldi here for about a year now & there you have to take your own bags & pack them yourself. Some States have banned plastic bags but WA is still thinking about it.
Old Sep 9th 2017, 8:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Editha

I had no idea it was an urban myth, I thought we'd could get sued too if there was trip n fall accident in snowy months.
Old Sep 9th 2017, 9:08 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by black swan
I am living in Western Australia. The check out ladies here have to stand & pack the plastic bags as part of their job. They do a very fine job.
We have had Aldi here for about a year now & there you have to take your own bags & pack them yourself. Some States have banned plastic bags but WA is still thinking about it.
Tesco are about to do that in the UK, they will no longer supply the bags they were charging 5p for, but are selling reusable bags instead, we ALWAYS use reusable ones and have been using the same ones for many months.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.