Our moving back experience

Old Jun 10th 2013, 2:34 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Our moving back experience

Originally Posted by pintaguiness-pickledegg
Well of course there are, it would have to be 'planet bland' if there weren't any. Have you got any examples? I haven't been back for 5 years! I need a fix and 'Coronation Street', 'Location Location Location' and 'Whitechapel' just aren't cutting it these days
What about "Tescos and Marks and Spencer"? Or "full English breakfast"?
Old Jun 10th 2013, 4:11 pm
Just Joined

Tstimpson is an unknown quantity at this point

Just a few other thoughts I had after this morning's post- we have found that car insurance in the UK is about half what we were paying in Canada. I asked my Canadian insurance company for a letter saying that I had made no claims (actually in 40 years) which they did and there was no trouble getting a no claims savings from the UK company (saved about 100pounds per year) - check out www.gocompare.com. Also we have not found the need to subscribe to Sky TV, the FreeView channels are more than enough to sate our appetites for good British programs, and the free iPlayer allows for catching up on programs we missed. If this is not enough, cell phone (or as they are known ... Mobile phone) rates are substantially lower in the UK, but that should not be a surprise since Canadian/US rates are the highest in the world. More later ......
Old Jun 10th 2013, 4:12 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pintaguiness-pickledegg
Thank you for taking the time to post this update. I found it echoed some of what friends and family are saying from back home. They too have reported people living in fear of their jobs, too concerned with what other people are/are not doing, lots of one-upmanship going on, general misery concerning what they perceive to be the invasion of 'unsympathetics' to their country and generally lacking hope. It makes for depressing listening for those of us who want to go home.
I think people here are excellent at moaning about things and that talent for moaning gets translated as 'the UK sucks' by people living abroad. But really it's just good old British moaning.

It's definitely true that there are people in the UK living in tough conditions and stressful situations. And sadly some of them blame outsiders for their problems. But that was the same in the US where I left last year. High unemployment, lots of poverty, people dying for lack of healthcare - and many people there blame Mexicans. Here it's muslims and/or Eastern Europeans. Wherever you go, people are the same.

I think the truth is way more complicated. I think life is tough for many people because the economy is undergoing fundamental changes that have nothing to do with immigration. In fact, studies show that immigration brings great economic benefit. But immigrants have always taken the fall throughout history and I suppose they will continue to do so.

Re: British moaning, we have had amazing weather for over a week now and I mentioned it to a friend of mine on the phone. He said 'yes, but it's not going to last. It's going to rain on Wednesday.' I burst out laughing and said 'that's so British of you!' He genuinely didn't understand what was so funny.
Old Jun 10th 2013, 4:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

jemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to behold

Sorry PintaGuiness, snarky, needed chocolate, better now!
It seems like some people will always tell you everything's "going to the dogs". Thing is they often have nothing to compare the country with since they've only ever lived here and we Brits don't exactly talk ourselves up.
I think everything's in a state of change here, all the time, which I quite like.
Anyway, in answer to your question, I love better tv , better food, our countryside, having a good old chinwag, not being a foreigner, free healthcare, not having to run air con all summer, good beer and wine, etc etc. I was in the States for five years, fun time, but it really made me appreciate the UK!
Old Jun 10th 2013, 4:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

jemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to behold

Further to what Sally said, isn't it ironic that we immigrants are worried about Britain getting "overrun by immigrants?"
Old Jun 10th 2013, 4:24 pm
Just Joined

Tstimpson is an unknown quantity at this point

Just in passing ..... People complain about the price of gas/petrol because it is about twice that paid in North America, but cars seem much more fuel economic here and the huge difference is the fact that we do not have to travel far to visit the next town, village, beaches, moorlands, or family - all in all I pay much less on petrol than I did in Canada. I do a lot more walking here, and of course for people over 65 there is the free bus pass, and I never have to wait more than 10 to 15 minutes for the next bus!
Old Jun 10th 2013, 4:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
He said 'yes, but it's not going to last. It's going to rain on Wednesday.' I burst out laughing and said 'that's so British of you!' He genuinely didn't understand what was so funny.
I noticed that so much on my last visit! Even when things are fine, they're soon going to be terrible!
Old Jun 10th 2013, 4:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

I overheard a lady say "I'll be glad when this summer's over" last year. I suppose she'd at least have known to expect rain in winter!
Old Jun 12th 2013, 12:24 am
Forum Regular

poppyandpeanut is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow, we were so close to moving to Canada a few years back, a funny twist of fate led us to the land down under and so glad it turned out that way. I agree in some small part that we Brits can moan and complain about the UK going to the dogs etc and how glad we are to be out of it.

But we moved from the UK cos of the people, pure and simple- as I grew up and worked in England I did see a decilne in vlaues, morals etc and it just want what we wanted to be part of. Couldnt care less about parking, call rates etc etc , but the change in peoples outlook was too much to bear.

Aussies, (regional Aussies) are just not like that, they reming me of Brits in the 70's and 80's, brighter and happier. rose tinted glasses, perhaps a little but not a lot

PP
Old Jun 24th 2013, 2:40 pm
Forum Regular

Hangzhouguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Our moving back experience

Originally Posted by jenny heading home
fantastic post, thanks for all the info. We move back in 76 days, not that i am counting lol
We're moving back in 56 days thanks to Virgin airlines reminder everytime I log in haha.

Also thought I'd reply to this as you posted on my bday and I'm excited on general!!