One Way Flights V's Return

Old Feb 27th 2017, 10:22 pm
Just Joined

emma4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default One Way Flights V's Return

Hi All,

Anyone left to move back to the UK for good and booked a return flight (knowing you won't use the return flight)?
I am curious if airlines can send a bill for the flight you did not show for or if immigration cares that you have a return flight.
I am moving back home and my b/f is moving with me on a visa, one way flights are notorious for being an insane amount of money and so all we can afford is a return flight but we don't want to run into any possible issues by booking a return knowing we won't use that flight.

Thanks, any tips or people that have moved back home welcome to comment
Old Feb 27th 2017, 10:31 pm
Forum Regular

cdfergus is on a distinguished road
Default Re: One Way Flights V's Return

Originally Posted by emma4
Hi All,

Anyone left to move back to the UK for good and booked a return flight (knowing you won't use the return flight)?
I am curious if airlines can send a bill for the flight you did not show for or if immigration cares that you have a return flight.
I am moving back home and my b/f is moving with me on a visa, one way flights are notorious for being an insane amount of money and so all we can afford is a return flight but we don't want to run into any possible issues by booking a return knowing we won't use that flight.

Thanks, any tips or people that have moved back home welcome to comment
I'd like an answer to that also! Moving back ourselves and the one way flights are extortionate!
Old Feb 27th 2017, 10:38 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Many of our members do this. Some have also claimed the taxes and fees back on the unused ticket.
Old Feb 27th 2017, 10:39 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

I've not used the return part of an air ticket without any repercussions.
Old Feb 27th 2017, 10:54 pm
Just Joined

emma4 is an unknown quantity at this point

CDFERGUS,
Good luck with your move, when you off?

Thanks Jerseygirl and Editha, I just heard recently that some airlines will now send a bill for the return you do not use because they are trying to clamp down on people doing this. I was planning on booking a return and then calling a week prior to say i won't be using it.
Old Feb 27th 2017, 10:58 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

CDFERGUS,

Thanks Jerseygirl and Editha, I just heard recently that some airlines will now send a bill for the return you do not use because they are trying to clamp down on people doing this. I was planning on booking a return and then calling a week prior to say i won't be using it.
That's exactly what others have done. After the first leg of the flight is completed...call the airline and cancel the return flight...ask for a refund of the taxes and fees.
Old Feb 28th 2017, 1:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

I'd suggest reading the cancellation policy on the contract when applying.
Just because airlines have been generous in the past is no guarantee it may be repeated.
Major airlines hardly make money...they're a bad financial investment due to competitive budget airlines driving prices to the bottom...or some states subsidizing their flagships.
These days an airline will try to recoup anyway it can...or go bankrupt.
Old Feb 28th 2017, 2:14 am
Forum Regular

Celticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to all

I've recently started saving to return (I have $380 right now and will have $400+ tomorrow.) I plan on buying the cheapest 1 way ticket I can. I was surprised to see that if I had $957 I could have bought it for Nov 30th this year.
Old Feb 28th 2017, 10:36 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

When I decided not to use the second half of an Air Canada Edmonton/Heathrow return, I rang Air Canada and asked to cancel. I was told there was a cancellation fee. 'OK then' I said 'What happens if I don't cancel but just don't turn up?' Nothing.

That was in 2007, so ancient history.
Old Mar 1st 2017, 2:55 pm
Forum Regular

MILNGAVIE is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Editha
When I decided not to use the second half of an Air Canada Edmonton/Heathrow return, I rang Air Canada and asked to cancel. I was told there was a cancellation fee. 'OK then' I said 'What happens if I don't cancel but just don't turn up?' Nothing.

That was in 2007, so ancient history.
Exactly...there are numerous ways to get cheaper fares and only using the outbound of a return ticket is the most common one. It's rarely worthwhile cancelling the return portion of a discounted ticket due to the cancellation fee as Editha explained above.

There are airlines who do offer discounted one way fares so do a search.
Old Mar 1st 2017, 4:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

Do a search on Kayak.com

When I went back to Blighty last year, I flew out on Norwegian airlines and back on WestJet so both legs were classed as one-way. That was the cheapest option.

Also consider alternate airports. I drove 7 hours to Orlando which saved me over $1,000 compared to flying from my local airport.
Old Mar 1st 2017, 4:29 pm
Forum Regular

CDFERGUS,

Hi, not for a while. Going to Scotland in September (Isle of Bute) to check everything out then will apply for spouse visa as soon as I get home. So will leave Jan or Feb. So wish I had started this whole process sooner, but we have some financial issues to sort out before we go BTW, we are in Spokane! When are you going?
Chris

Last edited by cdfergus; Mar 1st 2017 at 4:33 pm.
Old Mar 1st 2017, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by chawkins99
Do a search on Kayak.com

When I went back to Blighty last year, I flew out on Norwegian airlines and back on WestJet so both legs were classed as one-way. That was the cheapest option.

Also consider alternate airports. I drove 7 hours to Orlando which saved me over $1,000 compared to flying from my local airport.

Our problem is that we will be transporting our cat in cargo on our flights. Because of this they have so many rules about which flights you can take So I think a RT ticket is our only option
Old Mar 4th 2017, 3:47 pm
Forum Regular

MILNGAVIE is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cdfergus
Our problem is that we will be transporting our cat in cargo on our flights. Because of this they have so many rules about which flights you can take So I think a RT ticket is our only option
In that case fly BA from Seattle. They have an excellent reputation for pet cargo so it'll be worth paying the extra. The Isle of Bute eh? We're thinking of going to Argyll and Bute when the time comes to go back to my mother land.
A relation of mine stays on Whidbey Island near where you are now.

Last edited by MILNGAVIE; Mar 4th 2017 at 3:50 pm.
Old Mar 4th 2017, 4:24 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Many of our members do this. Some have also claimed the taxes and fees back on the unused ticket.
We did, coming the other way. No repercussions, except that when we later booked a return US-UK-US, it caused some confusion at check-in because the outward leg from the US was the same flight as the return leg on our last UK-US-UK ticket, but still no repercussions.

The last time we went to the UK we flew IAD-CLT-LHR-CLT-IAD, (because flying from IAD was substantially cheaper (better than "buy two, get one free" for the three of us) than flying from CLT, even after adding a night in a hotel, an extra meal in a restaurant, gas, and one-way car rental to IAD, and the Uber home from CLT was less than parking at CLT would have been) but we bu99ëred of at CLT on the return journey. .... If there are any negative repercussions to what we did, we haven't heard about them.

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 4th 2017 at 5:06 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.