Oh Thank You Boris

Old Feb 22nd 2016, 5:46 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute
Default Oh Thank You Boris

Exchange Rates Graph (Canadian Dollar, British Pound) - X-Rates

The best exchange rate for 9 months.
Old Feb 22nd 2016, 10:25 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oh Thank You Boris

Originally Posted by Editha
It's good, innit?

I wanted to move some money over from Oz today, but Scouse the Dreamer reckons the rate will get better and better. I might just do the transfer and not tell him.
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 8:40 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha
+1 Boris has made Canadian pension recipients happier today as well as making everyone else happier by shooting his career in the foot.
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 9:27 am
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
It's good, innit?

I wanted to move some money over from Oz today, but Scouse the Dreamer reckons the rate will get better and better. I might just do the transfer and not tell him.
I've put on my old trader's cap here Spouse - Would it make sense to transfer half of what you'd intended just to lock in a favourable exchange rate on part of the funds? If the pound drops further, it's not like you've committed so much to the less favourable rate and if it rises you can always tell Scouse "I told you so" having already transferred some of your money at the better rate. Just something to consider
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 11:41 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by curleytops
I've put on my old trader's cap here Spouse - Would it make sense to transfer half of what you'd intended just to lock in a favourable exchange rate on part of the funds? If the pound drops further, it's not like you've committed so much to the less favourable rate and if it rises you can always tell Scouse "I told you so" having already transferred some of your money at the better rate. Just something to consider
What a brilliant suggestion Curleytops, thanks very much!
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 12:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

And for those of us contemplating a move to Oz, thanks a lot. Ping Pong Pom's coming home

Good on him for his decision though.
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 12:46 pm
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

The pound has been below parity with the US dollar for some time now. I thought the fall might have stabilized after the election last May, but the sink for GBP has just continued.
The difference is dramatic in real life terms, beyond USC's already living in the UK. Brits moving back home with a foreign spouse will find it easier to meet the rules. When the HO first introduced the savings requirement of £62500, a UK/US couple would have needed around $103,000 to move home. Today they would need around $88,000.
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 12:54 pm
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebeccajo
The pound has been below parity with the US dollar for some time now. I thought the fall might have stabilized after the election last May, but the sink for GBP has just continued.
GBP is at 1.41 - parity would be 1.00, which it has never achieved (so far).
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 1:31 pm
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

Interactive currency-comparison tool: The Big Mac index | The Economist
Simplistic, I know. But still telling.
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 1:36 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas
GBP is at 1.41 - parity would be 1.00, which it has never achieved (so far).
http://fxtop.com/en/historical-exchange-rates.php

for a brief moment back in 1985 GBP:USD was in the 1.04 range

Between the 12 February to 18 March 1985 it was trading below 1.10

and in 1985, the GBP:CDN also traded in the 1.04 range

Wouldn't that be nice to see again

Last edited by not2old; Feb 23rd 2016 at 1:41 pm. Reason: added a link
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 1:45 pm
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebeccajo
Very interesting yes, but not quite an official exchange rate (I think they get stale or eaten).
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 1:46 pm
Hostage Negotiator

Originally Posted by not2old
Historical exchange rates from 1953 with graph and charts

for a brief moment back in 1985 GBP:USD was in the 1.04 range

Between the 12 February to 18 March 1985 it was trading below 1.10

and in 1985, the GBP:CDN also traded in the 1.04 range

Wouldn't that be nice to see again

Assuming you're in dollars, yes!
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 1:50 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas
Assuming you're in dollars, yes!
I am & always will be in the currency of the country that I live in, which at present is Canada (in Canadian dollars).

What about you, which currency or assets is (the majority of) your wealth in?

Last edited by not2old; Feb 23rd 2016 at 1:56 pm.
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 2:27 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

My personal income is all UK, but my OH has two Canadian pensions, three UK pensions and, just to complicate things further, some of his royalty income is paid in USD.
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 2:28 pm
Hostage Negotiator

Originally Posted by not2old
I am & always will be in the currency of the country that I live in, which at present is Canada (in Canadian dollars).

What about you, which currency or assets is (the majority of) your wealth in?

I have a lot of oil

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.