NHS for expats?

Old Apr 2nd 2014, 3:27 pm
Just Joined

brit_abroad45 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default NHS for expats?

Hi
I am new here and was wondering whether there has been any update on the article below:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/ex...-restored.html

extract:
Britions who live overseas for more than three months of the year currently lose their right to free health care at home, unless they have a medical emergency during a visit.

However, the government recently carried out a huge consultation into the NHS, suggesting that access to free treatment should be given to those who have made a fair contribution.

A fair contribution would constitute at least seven years of National Insurance contributions, under the proposals

Many Thanks
Old Apr 2nd 2014, 4:09 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NHS for expats?

Hello and welcome to BE.

I am moving your thread over to our Moving Back to The UK Forum...as i think it will get more response.
Old Apr 2nd 2014, 5:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brit_abroad45
Hi
I am new here and was wondering whether there has been any update on the article below:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/ex...-restored.html

extract:
Britions who live overseas for more than three months of the year currently lose their right to free health care at home, unless they have a medical emergency during a visit.

However, the government recently carried out a huge consultation into the NHS, suggesting that access to free treatment should be given to those who have made a fair contribution.

A fair contribution would constitute at least seven years of National Insurance contributions, under the proposals

Many Thanks
What you say here was the basis for Health Coverage with the NHS or Dept of Health a couple of years ago, with particular emphasis on hospital treatment, but I'm not so sure that is still the case today, if only because the pre-requisite for obtaining FULL NHS coverage is Ordinary Residence.

You only have to be routinely resident in the UK for 90 days on a settled basis to be resident for tax purposes and if you can show that there is a well-defined pattern of this residence, this can be demonstrated to be ORDINARY. That being the case, I don't think that the three months now applies and is more likely over six months at the very least. If you are a nomadic expat (I'm not trying to be smart as I think I want to become nomadic soon) and can show you still spend more time in the UK than anywhere else then so much the better.

I believe the 'jury is still out' on the discussion ref the NICs conts. The newspapers watch this stuff like hawks and nothing has jumped out so far.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Apr 2nd 2014 at 5:50 pm. Reason: If you are a nomadic expat.....
Old Apr 2nd 2014, 7:05 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

There was a public consultation on the issue last year which was published in December:https://www.gov.uk/government/consul...use-of-the-nhs

I'm fairly certain that there have been no changes to legislation yet. It is important to remember that a consultation is just that, and not necessarily a guide to what is going to happen.
Old Apr 2nd 2014, 7:24 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
In response to Editha, this indicates that the consultation ended in January and implementation of the findings would be come October.

http://www.england.nhs.uk/wp-content...n-document.pdf
Pete the document you've linked to does not relate to migrant NHS care. It is a different consultation on a different matter entirely: On whether or not to allow two Commissioning Groups to form a joint committee (what a riveting subject!).
Old Apr 2nd 2014, 7:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha
Pete the document you've linked to does not relate to migrant NHS care. It is a different consultation on a different matter entirely: On whether or not to allow two Commissioning Groups to form a joint committee (what a riveting subject!).
Oh I'm sorry! I'll scrub it.