Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Net migration to the UK up. Impact on non-EU spouse visa apps?!

Net migration to the UK up. Impact on non-EU spouse visa apps?!

Old Feb 26th 2015, 6:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Net migration to the UK up. Impact on non-EU spouse visa apps?!

I saw this today and wondered if this means tightening the belt for approving non-EU spouse visa apps since this is the only area the powers that be have control. Selfishly speaking I think they should focus on the EU migration since this is where the problem is.

Net migration to UK higher than when coalition took office | World news | The Guardian
Old Feb 26th 2015, 10:37 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Net migration to the UK up. Impact on non-EU spouse visa apps?!

Originally Posted by Bnet36
I saw this today and wondered if this means tightening the belt for approving non-EU spouse visa apps since this is the only area the powers that be have control. Selfishly speaking I think they should focus on the EU migration since this is where the problem is.

Net migration to UK higher than when coalition took office | World news | The Guardian
Actually non-EU migration is higher than EU migration. As the Conservatives like to remind us their long term economic term means our economy is booming is comparison to the rest of the developed world. London is the current cultural capital of the world and foreign students continue to come in their droves to study. Unless the UK is willing and able to introduce a quota system for non-EU migrants then this trend will continue.
Old Feb 27th 2015, 1:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Bnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond repute

Of those coming to work in Britain 57% came from within the EU, 25% from outside Europe and the remainder were returning British citizens, the ONS figures show.
It is rather disconcerting that 'returning British citizens' are grouped under ' those coming to work in Britain'. I am coming home - not to a foreign country to work.
Old Feb 27th 2015, 8:38 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I've never understood why foreign students are counted against the head count of non-EU "immigrants". They are visitors who are here paying for a service ... that boosts the economy and international goodwill, and has a get out of jail free clause (they are here temporarily).
Old Feb 27th 2015, 10:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dunroving
I've never understood why foreign students are counted against the head count of non-EU "immigrants". They are visitors who are here paying for a service ... that boosts the economy and international goodwill, and has a get out of jail free clause (they are here temporarily).
This too, I agree.
Old Feb 27th 2015, 11:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving

I suspect they just count all non EU folks on a non tourist visa. One thing for sure, they'll spin it to reflect what they think will get them re-elected.

I'm not working currently, but I'm not registered unemployed, don't claim anything because we have too much savings, so I don't fit in any statistic pigeon hole. I'm pretty sure groups ofeople can be shifted around to give a better/ worse picture as applicable.
Old Mar 10th 2015, 9:04 pm
Forum Regular

carolearly is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello

I am feeling very disgruntled. I have returned to the UK at the beginning of Feburary. I did secure some job agency work, but only a couple of days here and there. I was told I could apply for Job Seekers Benefit. I applied today and I was told that I can not even apply for 3 months after my return, and then there is also a weeks waiting time. This apparently is to stop Migrants coming to the Uk, and claiming benefits. I too feel very sad, I am not a migrant I am coming home. The system is not fair amd I feel exactly the same as BNet36

Last edited by carolearly; Mar 10th 2015 at 9:06 pm. Reason: missed something out
Old Mar 12th 2015, 10:24 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolearly
Hello

I am feeling very disgruntled. I have returned to the UK at the beginning of Feburary. I did secure some job agency work, but only a couple of days here and there. I was told I could apply for Job Seekers Benefit. I applied today and I was told that I can not even apply for 3 months after my return, and then there is also a weeks waiting time. This apparently is to stop Migrants coming to the Uk, and claiming benefits. I too feel very sad, I am not a migrant I am coming home. The system is not fair amd I feel exactly the same as BNet36
I assume that includes British citizens who might be back on a "welfare vacation." I'm afraid there is a lot of rhetoric in the media lately about "foreigners" but with regard to NHS tourism, for example, I was just listening today to statistics that indicate most of the NHS tourism isn't foreigners, it's British expats!

Are there not other benefits you can apply for if you are short of money and unemployed (I don't know as I am not an expert, but what about housing benefit for example, to help pay for rent, etc.?) Also, there are food banks if having money for food is an issue.
Old Mar 12th 2015, 10:59 am
Forum Regular

carolearly is an unknown quantity at this point

I can not claim anything else I have checked. I am staying with my sister, thankfully, and i am just paying for my food and the occasional treat. Food banks are not an option for me, because you need to have the paperwork to state that you are claiming benefits or JS. I am not in need of food banks yet.

I am registered with a job agency, but only getting the occasional couple of days here and there. I have applied for as many jobs that are suitable for me. I am not here to take advantage of the system.
Old Mar 12th 2015, 12:06 pm
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by carolearly
I can not claim anything else I have checked. I am staying with my sister, thankfully, and i am just paying for my food and the occasional treat. Food banks are not an option for me, because you need to have the paperwork to state that you are claiming benefits or JS. I am not in need of food banks yet.

I am registered with a job agency, but only getting the occasional couple of days here and there. I have applied for as many jobs that are suitable for me. I am not here to take advantage of the system.
I think this is the side-effect of the decision-making regards benefits.

If you* come back and live on the streets, you are more likely to get help. If you move in with family you are deemed to not need help. Never mind that the family in question may think they are just doing you a short-term favour, they can end up stuck with you.

I think the bottom line is that with limited resources, they prioritize those who more clearly are in desperate need of help. Welcome to Austerity Britain.

[*I don't mean you literally, I mean expats in general who come back with limited resources and start off life in the UK back in the hotel of mum and dad, or similar]
Old Mar 13th 2015, 11:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Not long until the next election I wonder how much will change after that. I have read a lot of 'benefits' stories lately and I hope we don't become a cut throat country. The benefit system is/was abused but there are many people that do actually need it.

Lung transplant patient's benefits cash slashed from £130 to £21 - Daily Record
Old Mar 14th 2015, 3:01 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
I suspect they just count all non EU folks on a non tourist visa. One thing for sure, they'll spin it to reflect what they think will get them re-elected.

I'm not working currently, but I'm not registered unemployed, don't claim anything because we have too much savings, so I don't fit in any statistic pigeon hole. I'm pretty sure groups ofeople can be shifted around to give a better/ worse picture as applicable.
Lies, damned lies, and statistics