Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

NEED ADVICE FROM PEOPLE OVER 50 WHO HAVE MOVED BACK OR PLANNING TO MOVE BACK TO THE U

NEED ADVICE FROM PEOPLE OVER 50 WHO HAVE MOVED BACK OR PLANNING TO MOVE BACK TO THE U

Old Jul 30th 2014, 9:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NEED ADVICE FROM PEOPLE OVER 50 WHO HAVE MOVED BACK OR PLANNING TO MOVE BACK TO T

Originally Posted by maddie1959
ok based on what i'm reading England is not sounding as bad as I thought .
I have to look into it more .

1) do I transfer my pension or leave it here until l can collect at the appropriate age?
I think Ill only get the basic , but also have a small private pension as an Educator .my accountant said I should leave it in Canada ?

2) I own a house in Hull but my mum lives in it .I don't think I want to live in Hull. Although God bless her she would be willing to move .
Will I get any type of support if I cant find a job right way .

3)is it true im entitled to NHS ?

4) I am a young 55 , single and don't really know anyone in England, as left at 21, its scary to go back alone ,have no friends ,no husband , no children

5) were is a good place to live ,with decent weather . I would love to be by the water , not to fare from a city .not to much crime hop fully .

6)I have worked as a Psycho-educator/child ,youth worker here for over 25 years . I worry if my degree and work experiences will be excepted there as
it seems everyone wants a masters these day .

7) Although I love to be alone, I really would like to be some place not to fare from a social area were I could enjoy a glass on wine and good food on a terrace surrounded by beauty of England Am I asking for to much !!

In answer to a couple of these points--

2. No offence to Hull, and I don't know it well so I shouldn't even say this, but I don't think I'd want to live there either. The house ownership is really important as if your mum is willing to move and you sell the house, you'll have some capital. But of course if you then want to buy where the weather is better--south, or south-east if you want it drier--you will pay more.

4. I think English people are really friendly and there are lots of clubs and activities you could join as a single person (if you are in a decent-sized town). As has been mentioned, read some of islandwoman's posts--she is now involved with the university of the 3rd age and has many friends.

As has also been said, being single can in some ways make things easier--only yourself (and your mum as well I guess if you are going to live together) to please. It is scary, yes, but also could be a wonderful adventure.

Lots of other people on here have been away as long as you. Have you been back and forth during these years, so it has some familiarity?
Old Jul 30th 2014, 10:00 pm
Forum Regular

maddie1959 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: NEED ADVICE FROM PEOPLE OVER 50 WHO HAVE MOVED BACK OR PLANNING TO MOVE BACK TO T

Originally Posted by feelbritish
Maddie, your Canadian OAS pension will be paid to you in pounds to a British bank as you have been here for more than 20 years. UK pension will be minimum and I don't think topped up by Canada but as you are only 55 you could elect to buy back 6 years NI contributions and then continue to contribute when you are employed thereby gaining another 11 years. The age of retirement for women in UK is now 66. That is my take on it. If you leave your private pension in Canada you have to take into count the exchange rate fluctuations that is both going up or going down of the Canadian dollar to the pound.
thanks !! I was reading something a while back about buying back years , cant remember now but there was a lot of fuss about it , people saying it was a another government scam and not worth it . wish I didn't have such a bad memory.
Old Jul 30th 2014, 10:13 pm
Forum Regular

maddie1959 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by between two worlds
In answer to a couple of these points--

2. No offence to Hull, and I don't know it well so I shouldn't even say this, but I don't think I'd want to live there either. The house ownership is really important as if your mum is willing to move and you sell the house, you'll have some capital. But of course if you then want to buy where the weather is better--south, or south-east if you want it drier--you will pay more.

4. I think English people are really friendly and there are lots of clubs and activities you could join as a single person (if you are in a decent-sized town). As has been mentioned, read some of islandwoman's posts--she is now involved with the university of the 3rd age and has many friends.

As has also been said, being single can in some ways make things easier--only yourself (and your mum as well I guess if you are going to live together) to please. It is scary, yes, but also could be a wonderful adventure.

Lots of other people on here have been away as long as you. Have you been back and forth during these years, so it has some familiarity?
))
Ya I go back often to visit my mum etc but don't get much chance to visit other places while I'm there ,did go to the lake district for a couple of days last time ,it was fabulous .

seems to me like you said south south east but don't realty know anything about those areas . Guess that's my next question
how do I look up islandwoman's posts ,just put her name in search ?
Old Jul 31st 2014, 3:54 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ElizabethK
Has anyone heard from Windsong, is she finally back in UK yet? I noticed on this thread that back on the 2nd July she mentioned she had less than two weeks before she left US, so that must mean she is back! I keep looking to see if she has posted anything, but can't find anything. I hope she's doing well (and the dogs too of course)
She did post recently that she has postponed her departure until September at which time she will have her new passport.
Old Jul 31st 2014, 3:58 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

))
Ya I go back often to visit my mum etc but don't get much chance to visit other places while I'm there ,did go to the lake district for a couple of days last time ,it was fabulous .

seems to me like you said south south east but don't realty know anything about those areas . Guess that's my next question
how do I look up islandwoman's posts ,just put her name in search ?
Look on the "over 40's and moving back" because she posts there on that forum.
Old Aug 2nd 2014, 12:02 am
Just Joined

sadie141 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ElizabethK
Has anyone heard from Windsong, is she finally back in UK yet? I noticed on this thread that back on the 2nd July she mentioned she had less than two weeks before she left US, so that must mean she is back! I keep looking to see if she has posted anything, but can't find anything. I hope she's doing well (and the dogs too of course)
yes I was looking for windsong also to see how shes doing ..hopefully ok back in uk with her dogs;;;if you see this ws please let me know how ur are doing...wishing you well
Old Aug 2nd 2014, 12:12 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sadie141
yes I was looking for windsong also to see how shes doing ..hopefully ok back in uk with her dogs;;;if you see this ws please let me know how ur are doing...wishing you well
As said previously, windsong is still in the US - decided to wait until she had received her British passport.

This is from late July in the over 40's thread :
Originally Posted by windsong
Well, I am still in the USA! In the last few days before intended travel I made the decision to stay here until September which was my original plan. Two more months is not such a long time to wait - and this time I will have my renewed passport.
Old Aug 2nd 2014, 12:17 am
Just Joined

sadie141 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
As said previously, windsong is still in the US - decided to wait until she had received her British passport.

This is from late July in the over 40's thread :
thank you so much for this info o/s I have been worrying about her...so good to know...thanks
Old Aug 2nd 2014, 12:22 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sadie141
thank you so much for this info o/s I have been worrying about her...so good to know...thanks
no problem
Old Aug 2nd 2014, 4:11 am
Just Joined

PEACS is an unknown quantity at this point

I think there will always be many in the same situation, I have only been in Australia for 3 years but have come close to hating it. I have a pension due in the UK in a few years which will provide a good standard of living (in the UK not in Aussie) Work is getting me down (Visa is tied to the job) but wife & kids love it. Serious considerations are the negativity in UK but I feel I will make the decision before the end of the year, normally happy & outgoing I have seriously never been as depressed in my life.
Old Aug 2nd 2014, 4:19 am
Just Joined

Regards earlier post on hull not being a nice place. I think a lot depends on what is familiar or to your own taste. I spent a few years there as a student and have been back a few times over the years (last time 2010) I think its a great city if you are in the right areas.
Old Aug 2nd 2014, 10:41 am
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

thanks !! I was reading something a while back about buying back years , cant remember now but there was a lot of fuss about it , people saying it was a another government scam and not worth it . wish I didn't have such a bad memory.
The State Pension is a bit more complicated at the moment as it is moving to a new basis. And it depends on a multitude of factors, principally but not solely related to age.
I believe that as it stands you are entitled to a number of thirtieths of the EXISTING state pension (NOT the new one). So if you made say 3 years contributions you get one tenth (three thirtieths) of the pension. There was an earlier system but given your age I think it irrelevant.
You also receive any enhancement due to State Earnings Related Pension Scheme you might have accumulated.

You can buy additional years, but I think I read somewhere that they plan to stop that in April next year when the new pension is introduced. Whether it is additional years of the existing scheme or the new one I do not know.
Then of course you can also contribute to the new pension scheme until you reach state retirement age.
It really is a good idea to ring Newcastle and ask for guidance. But make sure you are clear who you are talking to as the switchboard covers HMRC, DWP, NHS (Overseas Healthcare), and Heaven only knows who else. I suspect you need DWP.
And of course there is unfortunately nothing to say the next Government won't change the whole thing again!
Old Aug 2nd 2014, 4:22 pm
Just Joined

I agree with above but think it is 35 years, this can be googled / checked and also queried via UK pensions website !
Old Aug 2nd 2014, 7:41 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.gov.uk/new-state-pension/overview

Originally Posted by PEACS
I agree with above but think it is 35 years, this can be googled / checked and also queried via UK pensions website !
Old Aug 3rd 2014, 3:10 am
Just Joined

Your new State Pension is based on your National Insurance record when you reach State Pension age.

You may get less than the new full State Pension if you were contracted out before 6 April 2016.

You may get more than the new full State Pension if you have over a certain amount of Additional State Pension.

You will need 35 qualifying years to get the new full State Pension if you don’t have a National Insurance record before 6 April 2016.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.