Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

"Nations Excercise Levels 'Shockingly Low'"

"Nations Excercise Levels 'Shockingly Low'"

Old Aug 26th 2013, 12:12 pm

Harvester523 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: "Nations Excercise Levels 'Shockingly Low'"

I totally agree with the lack of exercise problem. When I was a kid many, many years ago, I was always outside, easily walking 2 miles a day, cycling, horse riding, climbing trees, swimming. In school holidays, I'd spend the whole day out in the woods or walking the donkey from up the road etc. but unfortunately a lot of kids just can't or aren't allowed to do that anymore.
In this area of France, it's quite high calorie peasant food - potatoes, cheese, fatty meat - but then there are a lot like our 70+ neighbour who's out in her veggie patch at 6 a.m.. Most neighbours are high activity.
I do put weight on in the winter, but spring gardening and mucking out stables soon reduces it.
Old Aug 26th 2013, 12:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

..oooOOOO
Attached Thumbnails "Nations Excercise Levels 'Shockingly Low'"-internet.png  
Old Aug 26th 2013, 12:58 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bud the Wiser
..oooOOOO
So true.
Old Aug 26th 2013, 11:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Where is the objective evidence of how much physical activity has reduced? Most sources resort to anecdotal story-telling (they don't rely on that inconvenient technical stuff, either). So, we spend time sitting watching TV ... but in the "old days" we sat reading, or singing around a piano.

(I never said physical activity is the same as it has always been, it's that the evidence that activity energy expenditure has grossly reduced just doesn't exist - and the point that eating 500 kcals is far easier than expending 500 kcals).

Hmmm, the life of cavemen was different in a lot of ways, hardly a relevant comparison. I didn't realise McDonald's had been in business so long.

Obesity has only become a problem in the late 20th century.
Objective evidence is so subjective isn't it! We sat reading or 'singing around a piano'?!! Love it! I remember the countless hours spent 'singing around the piano'!

Cavemen-irrelevant? If the issue is diet, then Hairy Harry IS a good example.

But as I said: we disagree. And Bud's point is well made: we eat much bigger portions of food today.

..oooOOOO
Brilliant!

(It can also be dodgy: there were other factors regarding my blood, but the medico's suspect that sitting at the computer for hours on end sometimes, is what triggered my DVT).
Old Aug 26th 2013, 11:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheEmperorIsNaked
we eat much bigger portions of food today.
We eat much bigger portions than when I was younger, but I remember seeing a TV programme a while back in England that said going back a hundred years or more, people had higher-calorie diets than us, but burned more of it off with activity. No idea if this is actually correct or how they worked it out.
Old Aug 27th 2013, 12:06 am
BE Enthusiast

TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
We eat much bigger portions than when I was younger, but I remember seeing a TV programme a while back in England that said going back a hundred years or more, people had higher-calorie diets than us, but burned more of it off with activity. No idea if this is actually correct or how they worked it out.
I think (obviously!), that it's true. I did a Sabbatical year in the early 70's studying food and family diet-by no means am I a nutritionist, but a balanced diet and exercise IS the best for us all. I do neither!

We didn't actually exercise in those days (though we/I did sport);-it was just lifestyle. We did more 'moving'. For instance we would drag lumps of soaking washing into the spin dryer/Scratch back further-use a washboard/further-bang the buggers on a bloody rock! Whatever.

We can now communicate/shop/eat without moving position. Couple that with large portions/adulterated foods/trans fatty acids et al; and the end result is self evident.

Mc's does far more business, than Subway (which comes as no surprise to me personally...I was sitting in the bakery , just across from Subway one memorable evening. It (Subway) was lit up and empty at the time. I watched one young staffer scooping handfuls of food from each bin with his fingers and stuff them into his mouth ...then dive in again for another lot).

Bon appetite! )
Old Aug 27th 2013, 2:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

I think (obviously!), that it's true. I did a Sabbatical year in the early 70's studying food and family diet-by no means am I a nutritionist, but a balanced diet and exercise IS the best for us all. I do neither!

We didn't actually exercise in those days (though we/I did sport);-it was just lifestyle. We did more 'moving'. For instance we would drag lumps of soaking washing into the spin dryer/Scratch back further-use a washboard/further-bang the buggers on a bloody rock! Whatever.

We can now communicate/shop/eat without moving position. Couple that with large portions/adulterated foods/trans fatty acids et al; and the end result is self evident.

Mc's does far more business, than Subway (which comes as no surprise to me personally...I was sitting in the bakery , just across from Subway one memorable evening. It (Subway) was lit up and empty at the time. I watched one young staffer scooping handfuls of food from each bin with his fingers and stuff them into his mouth ...then dive in again for another lot).

Bon appetite! )
What Uni had a course in food in food and family diet????? In the early 70's???
That's almost hilarious......someone must have had a degree into the future. M
Old Aug 27th 2013, 3:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
What Uni had a course in food in food and family diet????? In the early 70's???
That's almost hilarious......someone must have had a degree into the future. M
.......................I was able to take time out from the military.........I subsequently went on to study law..................where did I mention Uni?

'Almost' hilarious enough for you now?
Old Aug 27th 2013, 4:34 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Objective evidence is so subjective isn't it! We sat reading or 'singing around a piano'?!! Love it! I remember the countless hours spent 'singing around the piano'!

Cavemen-irrelevant? If the issue is diet, then Hairy Harry IS a good example.

But as I said: we disagree. And Bud's point is well made: we eat much bigger portions of food today.

Brilliant!

(It can also be dodgy: there were other factors regarding my blood, but the medico's suspect that sitting at the computer for hours on end sometimes, is what triggered my DVT).
Last time I checked, accelerometers and doubly labelled isotopes didn't have opinions. And unless you were alive in the early 20th C and owned a piano, I guess you wouldn't remember singing around a piano (which I was providing as another subjective anecdote). Presumably you do remember sitting reading books and newspapers - your learnin' must have happened somehow.

Yep, too much sitting around at a computer can give you DVT, in combination with multiple other risk factors - that's why I stand at a desk for several hours a day and have oatmeal instead of Micky D's for lunch.
Old Aug 27th 2013, 5:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dunroving
Last time I checked, accelerometers and doubly labelled isotopes didn't have opinions. And unless you were alive in the early 20th C and owned a piano, I guess you wouldn't remember singing around a piano (which I was providing as another subjective anecdote). Presumably you do remember sitting reading books and newspapers - your learnin' must have happened somehow.

Yep, too much sitting around at a computer can give you DVT, in combination with multiple other risk factors - that's why I stand at a desk for several hours a day and have oatmeal instead of Micky D's for lunch.
As I said: we disagree this.

The second thing: totally agree. It was a close one,-I even got the closed curtain quiet talk about whether they resuscitate because things had become critical (it travelled up to my lungs; both had multiple clots).
The other risk factor in my case has motivated my decision to return to the UK.

I have to have a low fibre diet because of other health factors-so am not allowed my lovely porridge anymore, but I will never again spend hours sitting at this contraption-I too frequently stand here!
Old Aug 27th 2013, 7:04 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Bon appetite! )
An interesting observation about Subway. I work very close to one and see customers walking in all day, very rarely do I see an obese one. I suspect the same wouldn't be true of a burger joint.
Old Aug 27th 2013, 8:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

Burn more calories than you consume. Simples ( or is it? )
Old Aug 27th 2013, 8:30 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

For most people, yes, the calorie balance equation is as simple as they need to get (assuming weight maintenance or weight loss is the focus).

Food content affects other aspects of health, but has minimal influence on body weight.
Old Aug 27th 2013, 8:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
An interesting observation about Subway. I work very close to one and see customers walking in all day, very rarely do I see an obese one. I suspect the same wouldn't be true of a burger joint.
...er, yes? I'm not sure what point you thought I was making?

I live 2 minutes from a 'restaurant belt' main street in my suburb. Our Subway doesn't do much business, I suppose because of the abundance of choice. It just happened to be completely empty when I made the 'self service' observation.

And I do actually know that a regular Subway type customer is more likely to be less obese than one who uses a burger shop as a home from home...
Old Aug 27th 2013, 8:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Basically yes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.