Moving back from Australia

Old Nov 1st 2006, 6:16 am
beam me up scotty

toandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back from Australia

Originally Posted by FPM
Will do

My sister lives in Stokenchurch, nr High Wycombe, they have a huge Asda nearby and when Yoosun and I were there last year she could not believe the choice (i tried to tell her but you know how it is ). She said she had never seen so much choice in a supermarket and so big. Having said that she was also impressed with Tesco and Morrisons, especially the ' two for ones'

She was very impressed with a genuine Ploughmans Lunch at one of my local village pubs (it was real Ploughmans, no lettuce in sight _

Hmm, not sure why she didn't settle there. I'm gonna have to work on her
now that takes me back the good ol' tufa . my better half was the tufa queen sniff a tufa at asda's from tesco's.
Old Nov 1st 2006, 6:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by toandfro
now that takes me back the good ol' tufa . my better half was the tufa queen sniff a tufa at asda's from tesco's.
What?
Old Nov 1st 2006, 6:26 am
FPM
Banned

Location: knuckle dragging, cultureless, boring, dingo oblivion
FPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond repute

What?
Took me a minute but I think it means 'two for ones'

I have to say I was genuinely surprised how cheap food was in the UK last year and this year. even fish seemed to have come down.
Old Nov 1st 2006, 6:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FPM

I have to say I was genuinely surprised how cheap food was in the UK last year and this year. even fish seemed to have come down.
They never have any genuine good offers in the supermarkets here do they.
Love the good old 2f1 and the buy 2g1f. See, I would slot right into place in if I went back to the UK. I haven't lost it, although I had forgotten about it.

I was surprised to see how expensive food is in Australia, especially when comparing like with like from the UK.
Old Nov 1st 2006, 6:44 am
beam me up scotty

toandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosie Cheeks
You're brave.
I am not permitted under any circumstances whatsoever to say nice things about Britain and bad things about Australia when in the company of my Aussie relatives. I just keep it well and truly zipped.
You should see the lengths they go to to lecture me on the fact that Australia IS the BEST country in the whole wide world, and I can be even more specific than that and tell you that the Gold Coast is without a shadow of a doubt THE best place in the world. They, the whole lot of them, cornered me at a party the other day and shared this info with me. Just passing it on to those who aren't aware, because maybe you couldn't quite hear them from where you are.
Stand up loud and proud and ask if so, why are there so many Aussies in the UK trying to stay on grandad's citizenship . Then run, as you will hear their crys of disbelief and cursing you as a witch from the UK
Old Nov 1st 2006, 6:49 am
FPM
Banned

Location: knuckle dragging, cultureless, boring, dingo oblivion
FPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond repute

When I first got here, food was really cheap, although veg was rubbish (and still is). Meat was cheap as well. But I can see through the years here that things have gone up a lot and the UK seemed to have gotten cheaper.

But the biggest thing for me is 'no connection' to this place. But of course my wife feels even more disconnected in the UK due to no Asian (far East) diversity (not out of London anyway), now whilst a lot would say that's a good thing, it is what she has been used to here. We don't get very involved in the Korean community, but she likes the fact that it's there.

I tell her that ethnic communities have it easier than the English here because we have no community to go to. (unless you count drunken backpackers at Coogee). This always surprises Yoosun as she always thought that English culture and Australian 'culture' would be the same thing.

So we're a bit stuck

Stand up loud and proud and ask if so, why are there so many Aussies in the UK trying to stay on grandad's citizenship . Then run, as you will hear their crys of disbelief and cursing you as a witch from the UK
I always tell 'em to get their stars off our flag

Last edited by FPM; Nov 1st 2006 at 6:52 am.
Old Nov 1st 2006, 7:06 am
BE Enthusiast

He he he

They get Sooooooo cranky about it. And it's not as if I even asked them their opinion, or started a discusion on the Oz/UK question. They just start the lecture with no prompting from me whatsoever. The fact that a British Citizen is amongst them is enough to get them going.

My Aussie hubby and I lived together in the UK for 6 years, my family didn't feel the need to pounce on him with comments about which country is better and why. I don't think it even crossed their minds, they wouldn't be bothered.
Old Nov 1st 2006, 7:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FPM
When I first got here, food was really cheap, although veg was rubbish (and still is). Meat was cheap as well. But I can see through the years here that things have gone up a lot and the UK seemed to have gotten cheaper.

But the biggest thing for me is 'no connection' to this place. But of course my wife feels even more disconnected in the UK due to no Asian (far East) diversity (not out of London anyway), now whilst a lot would say that's a good thing, it is what she has been used to here. We don't get very involved in the Korean community, but she likes the fact that it's there.

I tell her that ethnic communities have it easier than the English here because we have no community to go to. (unless you count drunken backpackers at Coogee). This always surprises Yoosun as she always thought that English culture and Australian 'culture' would be the same thing.

So we're a bit stuck

Yeah, I think that probably the least welcomed people in Australia are the British.
Old Nov 1st 2006, 7:12 am
beam me up scotty

Originally Posted by FPM

sorry, a family joke it does mean two for one .
Old Nov 1st 2006, 7:15 am
BE Enthusiast

sorry, a family joke it does mean two for one .
I like it! Have to use that one!

A tufa, my mum can sniff em out too.
Old Nov 1st 2006, 7:44 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FPM

So we're a bit stuck

Funny that my mates say the flag would be so much better if the piece of crap in the top corner was removed.
Old Nov 1st 2006, 8:01 am
beam me up scotty

please be my guest it is a goodie, says it all so nicely
Old Nov 1st 2006, 8:24 am

Heart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond repute

LOL... Me too, its a fab way of stocking up!!
Old Nov 1st 2006, 8:28 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BAY
Life is for living ... you get out of it what you put into it ... stop feeling sorry for yourself and start living
I have put EVERYTHING into this, and got nothing out of it. My health has gone downhill at a great rate of knots. I can't get out there and do sport or outdoor pursuits cos my body hasn't the stamina any longer. I am giving my husband all my inheritance from my dad so he can go on courses he wants to do (bang goes my escape money). I have fought to make friends who have mostly turned away cos we don't fit their cosy Aussie family lifestyle, and I have spent 3 years trying to get the security of a decent job.

Sorry for myself - NO, never.
CROSS with myself, yes, for coming here in the first place, but the pull of love was too strong to resist.
Old Nov 1st 2006, 8:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I have put EVERYTHING into this, and got nothing out of it. My health has gone downhill at a great rate of knots. I can't get out there and do sport or outdoor pursuits cos my body hasn't the stamina any longer. I am giving my husband all my inheritance from my dad so he can go on courses he wants to do (bang goes my escape money). I have fought to make friends who have mostly turned away cos we don't fit their cosy Aussie family lifestyle, and I have spent 3 years trying to get the security of a decent job.

Sorry for myself - NO, never.
CROSS with myself, yes, for coming here in the first place, but the pull of love was too strong to resist.
Well said Pollyanna. We are so similar and you say it so well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.