Moving back from Australia

Old Nov 1st 2006, 4:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back from Australia

Originally Posted by toandfro
definitely not I know several good pubs in Notts, Chesterfield and other places no sawdust no spittoons
Crumbs, I miss the pubs in the UK.
Are you in Australia now and are you going back to the UK?
Old Nov 1st 2006, 4:08 am
beam me up scotty

toandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosie Cheeks
yes I'm in rockhampton in central QLD ,no firm plan to return yet ,as we've bought a house and have son in final yr at school but the better half and I will return
Old Nov 1st 2006, 4:11 am
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

are you planning your escape?
if you got a dollar every time some one said go back to where you came from you would buy a flight in a month. I don't know what makes these people think they're so special most are troglodytes
Yes - hopefully we are escaping around December/January so not long now. I was really shocked when he said that to me - I honestly didn't realise before that there was such hatred among some people here - naive! He was really aggressive too, right in my face, I was sh*t feared I can tell you. Thankfully not all Aussies are like that.
Old Nov 1st 2006, 4:15 am
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosie Cheeks
OMG British Pubs - cant wait to get back in one. We found a fake one in Melbourne Central last week - thought I'd gone to heaven. The smell (yes even the unmentionable ones), the atmosphere, the people - can't beat it.
Old Nov 1st 2006, 4:17 am

MrsB is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by LouiseD
I was verbally abused by a young Aussie guy and told to F*** Off back to where I came from (later found out his mum was Scottish ). My crime? I didn't know the "Melbourne Rules" about parking. :scared:

Goodness - what Melbourne suburb was this?

I have only been abused by coffee morning mothers who in the course of conversation managed to drop in comments like "stupid english people" "stupid poms" etc.

Needless to say I never went back to coffee morning.

A friend of mine went to a school mothers dinner and had to listen to 2 hours of England being rubbished by mothers who had never set foot there. One of the comments was how "scruffy" the uniforms looked in England.

It's stuff like that you have to put up with - and it's just not worth it in my opinoin. I don't like it that much here but I'd never say so to the locals.
Old Nov 1st 2006, 4:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond repute

Yes - hopefully we are escaping around December/January so not long now. I was really shocked when he said that to me - I honestly didn't realise before that there was such hatred among some people here - naive! He was really aggressive too, right in my face, I was sh*t feared I can tell you. Thankfully not all Aussies are like that.
All the very best for your return home.
I am so pleased for you, I wish I was going aswell
Old Nov 1st 2006, 4:19 am
BE Enthusiast

OMG British Pubs - cant wait to get back in one. We found a fake one in Melbourne Central last week - thought I'd gone to heaven. The smell (yes even the unmentionable ones), the atmosphere, the people - can't beat it.
You aren't wrong there, how I envy you. There is nothing like a proper British pub.
Old Nov 1st 2006, 5:18 am
FPM
Banned

Location: knuckle dragging, cultureless, boring, dingo oblivion
FPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond repute

As long as it isn't held in a pub in Australia.
What are you trying to say, you don't like drinking with the AC/DC muscle shirted geniuses with a pack of Winnie Blues stuffed under the shoulder? C'mon you know you want blow the weekly rent on heady mix of mind numbing brain washing pokies and the 'sport of kings', whilst downing a Tooheys New ( not sure what qualifies as new here, I've been here since 89 and it was called 'new' then!).

Don't know what you're missing

I miss local in the UK. I had a regular chair near the shoveh'apenny table
Old Nov 1st 2006, 5:41 am
beam me up scotty

toandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrs Best
Goodness - what Melbourne suburb was this?

I have only been abused by coffee morning mothers who in the course of conversation managed to drop in comments like "stupid english people" "stupid poms" etc.

Needless to say I never went back to coffee morning.

A friend of mine went to a school mothers dinner and had to listen to 2 hours of England being rubbished by mothers who had never set foot there. One of the comments was how "scruffy" the uniforms looked in England.

It's stuff like that you have to put up with - and it's just not worth it in my opinoin. I don't like it that much here but I'd never say so to the locals.
hate to break it to you but the whole world hates the English ,these people know nothing of anything and spout like authorities . Try this for fun agree with the knockers.You'll get kudos for hating England and then called for not defending your own . you can't win. check the scotland thead oop's got pasted there for defending my own.

A pom goes to the doc and asks to become Irish .the doc advises that 10% of his brain would need to be removed to achieve this . the pom agrees.
after the op the doc approaches the man to explain that there had been a mistake and the wrong portion had been taken . the patient says "thats ok cobber where's me thongs?" sorry a bit random but thought it might cheer you along
Old Nov 1st 2006, 5:52 am
FPM
Banned

FPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond repute

I like going into the supermarket and asking Yoosun loudly if we need any yoghurt (Eng pron), peppers, aubergine, etc, when Yoosun asks if we need this (holding up some product) I always say, 'nah that's the Aussie crap, get the English one' (this only works if Mr & Mrs Ocker are about).

Waiting to pay is always good for a laugh. I talk to Yoosun about something in the news, and throw some 'stupid Aussie' comments around. Never fails to get a reaction.

I is a bad bad boy
Old Nov 1st 2006, 5:56 am
BE Enthusiast

hate to break it to you but the whole world hates the English ,these people know nothing of anything and spout like authorities . Try this for fun agree with the knockers.You'll get kudos for hating England and then called for not defending your own . you can't win. check the scotland thead oop's got pasted there for defending my own.

A pom goes to the doc and asks to become Irish .the doc advises that 10% of his brain would need to be removed to achieve this . the pom agrees.
after the op the doc approaches the man to explain that there had been a mistake and the wrong portion had been taken . the patient says "thats ok cobber where's me thongs?" sorry a bit random but thought it might cheer you along
Love the joke, must remember to tell that to my Aussie in laws. I don't think they will get it though.
Old Nov 1st 2006, 6:01 am
beam me up scotty

Originally Posted by FPM
I like going into the supermarket and asking Yoosun loudly if we need any yoghurt (Eng pron), peppers, aubergine, etc, when Yoosun asks if we need this (holding up some product) I always say, 'nah that's the Aussie crap, get the English one' (this only works if Mr & Mrs Ocker are about).

Waiting to pay is always good for a laugh. I talk to Yoosun about something in the news, and throw some 'stupid Aussie' comments around. Never fails to get a reaction.

I is a bad bad boy
yeah yo is but keep up the good work
I don't like aussie super markets. the isles are narrow , the checkouts are crammed in and they are dull. give me Asdas any day
Old Nov 1st 2006, 6:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FPM

I is a bad bad boy
You're brave.
I am not permitted under any circumstances whatsoever to say nice things about Britain and bad things about Australia when in the company of my Aussie relatives. I just keep it well and truly zipped.
You should see the lengths they go to to lecture me on the fact that Australia IS the BEST country in the whole wide world, and I can be even more specific than that and tell you that the Gold Coast is without a shadow of a doubt THE best place in the world. They, the whole lot of them, cornered me at a party the other day and shared this info with me. Just passing it on to those who aren't aware, because maybe you couldn't quite hear them from where you are.
Old Nov 1st 2006, 6:07 am
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all for answering my thread - what an eye-opener! It sounds as though you all live in endless suburbs miles from anywhere, iIwould hate it. Even in my little mountain village in Spain I can get to some 'big shops' (there are 'little shops' locally) and the beach in around 50 minutes and there is always something going on, either in our villages or the others surrounding it. We have several bars in the village as well.

From my UK house I can walk to the City Centre in 20 minutes.

Very enlightening, thanks.

Last edited by scampicat; Nov 1st 2006 at 6:10 am.
Old Nov 1st 2006, 6:10 am
FPM
Banned

Will do

My sister lives in Stokenchurch, nr High Wycombe, they have a huge Asda nearby and when Yoosun and I were there last year she could not believe the choice (i tried to tell her but you know how it is ). She said she had never seen so much choice in a supermarket and so big. Having said that she was also impressed with Tesco and Morrisons, especially the ' two for ones'

She was very impressed with a genuine Ploughmans Lunch at one of my local village pubs (it was real Ploughmans, no lettuce in sight _

Hmm, not sure why she didn't settle there. I'm gonna have to work on her

I am not permitted under any circumstances whatsoever to say nice things about Britain and bad things about Australia when in the company of my Aussie relatives. I just keep it well and truly zipped.
You should see the lengths they go to to lecture me on the fact that Australia IS the BEST country in the whole wide world, and I can be even more specific than that and tell you that the Gold Coast is without a shadow of a doubt THE best place in the world. They, the whole lot of them, cornered me at a party the other day and shared this info with me. Just passing it on to those who aren't aware, because maybe you couldn't quite hear them from where you are.
See that's why I do it. I know that Britain is not the best place on earth, but I also sure as sh!t know that Australia isn't either. And the more they bang on about it being God's country and all that hogwash, the greater delight I take in defending in my own country. They really buy into all the hype. The problem is even if you keep saying something it still doesn't make it true. But they believe it.

Aussies are like your typical loud mouthed school bully, they love dishing it out but can't take it back.

Being married to a 'neutral' is great really, I can crack on about stuff without offending my wife.

Last edited by FPM; Nov 1st 2006 at 6:19 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.