Mortgage findings and stamp duty

Old Nov 23rd 2017, 7:53 am
BE Enthusiast

alfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Mortgage findings and stamp duty

Been a few interesting months.

We're in the process of buying a house.
We went to HSBC for a small mortgage.
As my wife does not have a full 12 months on her visa because we're just about to extend it we were only able to put the mortgage in my name.

The solicitor initially wrote up the contracts with both our names on it even though the mortgage was just in my name. We all understood this was ok.

Since the stamp duty changed yesterday we both got excited as I'm a first time buyer!! Saving 1800. yeahhh
But then there was a catch as my wife had a small apartment in Uruguay under her name ages ago. I thought ah we're being penalised again even though her property was bought 15 years ago before even meeting me while she was in Uruguay. But YES they would apparently look into that and make me pay the 1800 stamp duty because of my foriegn wife's property sold 2 years ago.

We thought about removing her name from the deeds which we haven't signed yet to prevent paying yet even more money to the UK gov. The visa fees are enough.

Just had a call from the solicitor and her name can't be on it anyway as the mortgage is only in my name.
Well glad that we're saving the stamp duty now!
Then when she's got her visa back hopefully we can add her to the mortgage once she has a job!

If she was applying alone HSBC have a salary threshold of £75,000!!!! OMG wish I could earn that amount.

Anyone else had issues with mortgages/stamp duty/overseas properties?

Regards