The Midlands

Old Dec 1st 2015, 4:49 am
Forum Regular

LoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud of
Default Re: The Midlands

Lincoln Cathedral is an exquisite piece of architecture. I'm sure it's more impressive in person.
I've seen photos of Canterbury Cathedral as well. Just beautiful.
I am so looking forward to this trip.

Old Dec 15th 2015, 7:32 am
Just Joined

Oz2England will become famous soon enoughOz2England will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Editha
The Bull Ring? A must see for a foreign visitor? Back to backs?

Do not visit B'rum.
I think your comments show incredible ignorance. At the very least research the city before making such an uneducated statement. Maybe Wikapedia might be an easy starting point for you?

By the way, I'm not from Birmingham, but I have visited there as recently as last Christmas. When was your last visit?
Old Dec 15th 2015, 7:50 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

It's true that I haven't been to Birmingham for a few years, but I'm not ignorant about the city which I know very well. I was trying to be light hearted, but quite seriously, I would not recommend the city for a visitor from abroad with limited time to see the sights. The Bull Ring has improved since the old days, but it has hardly merits the status of an international tourist attraction.
Old Dec 15th 2015, 8:02 am
Just Joined

Oz2England will become famous soon enoughOz2England will become famous soon enough

...The Bull Ring has improved since the old days, but it has hardly merits the status of an international tourist attraction.
Just to clarify your response for the benefit of other readers, that's your own opinion, correct?
Old Dec 15th 2015, 8:23 am
Forum Regular

Pythagoras will become famous soon enoughPythagoras will become famous soon enough

The trouble with a thread like this is that some maybe focus only on negative aspects to a place and dismiss it.

Birmingham has, in recent years, had a ‘makeover’, after some of the results of the ugly disastrous planning of the 1960s. There are more parks than in any other European city - Sarehole Mill and Moseley Bog (the setting for the ‘shire’ in Lord of the Rings) for example. Shopping is excellent, more canals than Venice, good museums and art galleries (etc)

I’d say, from my experience of visits there, that the people are some of the friendliest, most down to earth in the country. Birmingham is a place well worth a visit.
Old Dec 15th 2015, 8:35 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pythagoras
The trouble with a thread like this is that some maybe focus only on negative aspects to a place and dismiss it.

Birmingham has, in recent years, had a ‘makeover’, after some of the results of the ugly disastrous planning of the 1960s. There are more parks than in any other European city - Sarehole Mill and Moseley Bog (the setting for the ‘shire’ in Lord of the Rings) for example. Shopping is excellent, more canals than Venice, good museums and art galleries (etc)

I’d say, from my experience of visits there, that the people are some of the friendliest, most down to earth in the country. Birmingham is a place well worth a visit.
Old Dec 15th 2015, 8:37 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

It's my opinion, but this is a picture of it:https://www.flickr.com/photos/brianac37/7980798510

And it is a shopping centre. That's all.
Old Dec 15th 2015, 9:09 am
Just Joined

It's my opinion, but this is a picture of it:https://www.flickr.com/photos/brianac37/7980798510

And it is a shopping centre. That's all.
Thank you for your clarification.

I've just had a five minute Internet search on 'visitor numbers to Birmingham Bull Ring' and considering that, "...it is a shopping centre. That's all" - which of course, it is - an awful lot of people seem to think it's worthy of a visit.

Actually, it's rather interesting to read about population growth and GDP figures for Birmingham. Quite impressive in my opinion.

Anyway, no worries!

But for what it's worth, I agree with the opinion of our fellow contributor, "Pythagoras".

Cheers!!!
Old Dec 15th 2015, 9:21 am
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

What point are you making by putting the link to a picture of Selfridges?

Saying that, although it is a good shopping centre, it isn't something worth travelling to as part of a UK tour, is accurate to a point. However, you wouldn't come solely to visit the Bull Ring Centre, it would be part of the whole package.

Go to the tourist office (or the museum) and look at the stack of leaflets for places to visit - not just in Birmingham itself, but within 15 minute drive.

The city has a lot of cultural heritage (yes cultural) with associated attractions to show for this. In addition there is a wide range of entertainment from pubs, eateries to shows, live comedy.

As somebody else said, the people are also welcoming and friendly.

I know that it is your opinion,and that this type of forum is for people not only to share advice, but also opinions, however I do think that your opinion is, unfairly, quite negative and dismissive of what is a great city.
Old Dec 15th 2015, 9:32 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew
What point are you making by putting the link to a picture of Selfridges?

Saying that, although it is a good shopping centre, it isn't something worth travelling to as part of a UK tour, is accurate to a point. However, you wouldn't come solely to visit the Bull Ring Centre, it would be part of the whole package.

Go to the tourist office (or the museum) and look at the stack of leaflets for places to visit - not just in Birmingham itself, but within 15 minute drive.

The city has a lot of cultural heritage (yes cultural) with associated attractions to show for this. In addition there is a wide range of entertainment from pubs, eateries to shows, live comedy.

As somebody else said, the people are also welcoming and friendly.

I know that it is your opinion,and that this type of forum is for people not only to share advice, but also opinions, however I do think that your opinion is, unfairly, quite negative and dismissive of what is a great city.
Old Dec 15th 2015, 11:35 am
BE Forum Addict

themajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond repute

We returned to the UK to do a tour over a five week period. We called into the west country FANTASTIC> We gave London a miss. called into, Chester, Buxton, Lincoln, Halifax,Oxford and many quaint villages on route. We would certainly never visit Birmingham or Sheffield or Leeds. Big Cities are dismal and mostly appeal to City folks only. (my opinion)
Old Dec 15th 2015, 12:16 pm
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by themajor
We returned to the UK to do a tour over a five week period. We called into the west country FANTASTIC> We gave London a miss. called into, Chester, Buxton, Lincoln, Halifax,Oxford and many quaint villages on route. We would certainly never visit Birmingham or Sheffield or Leeds. Big Cities are dismal and mostly appeal to City folks only. (my opinion)
As you indicate, it's a bit horses for courses. Some people love the quainter, quieter, smaller places to visit others like the vibrancy and history of a city.

Some would see the quainter, quieter, smaller places as 'boring' others would see big cities as impersonal and too 'loud' in every sense.

Some like both and can see the merits of each.

Personally, I have experience of and like both!
Old Dec 17th 2015, 5:37 am
Forum Regular

LoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud of

I want to thank everyone for their kind opinions of where to go, what to see and so on.
All the places listed on this thread are worthy of looking into whether it be a city, village or small town.
After all my ancestry dates back to Britain so I'm hoping to explore every aspect of the country.
If I can't do it in one trip, I'll do it in another.

Now I am researching the Cotswalds.
I was told that Bath and Bristol and places to visit as well.

Old Jan 31st 2016, 6:41 am
Forum Regular

transatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Recently stayed in Bewdley while visiting the west midlands safari park. Definitely will be back to explore the area more.

Last edited by transatlantic; Jan 31st 2016 at 6:44 am.
Old Feb 1st 2016, 2:02 pm
Forum Regular

Safari Park?
Didn't know the Midlands had a Safari park.
Whoa, it only shows how much more research I need to do.
The Safari Park sounds like fun.
I am so looking forward to coming to the UK

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.