The Midlands

Old Nov 27th 2015, 2:13 am
Forum Regular

LoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud of
Default The Midlands

Hello fellow British citizens
It's been a while since I've been here.
Now that my trip seems to be coming together to finally visit the UK, I was wondering if anybody would please tell me where would be some good spots in the Midlands to visit.
I've read so much about them but I can't possibly do it all in one trip.
If you only had about three weeks, what would be a priority to see?

Thanks
Old Nov 27th 2015, 7:49 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Midlands

Are you scouting out places to live, or just sightseeing? If sightseeing, what are your interests? History or scenery or both?
Old Nov 27th 2015, 8:21 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Derbyshire is rich in stately homes: Chatsworth is a must. Try to get to Haddon Hall and Hardwick Hall too.

Take some time to admire the scenery in the Peak District. Visit Eyam and Buxton.

Derby city museum has a large collection of paintings by Joseph Wright of Derby.

Staffordshire: Stoke-on-Trent museum is good, if you like porcelain, but I think they also still have part of the Staffordshire hoard on display. And while in Stoke, you can visit some of the factory shops and buy some china. Also visit Biddulph Grange Garden.

Further south in Staffs, Lichfield is a charming cathedral town, and there is a museum at Dr Johnson's house. The museum has more of the Staffordshire hoard, and also the remarkable Millennium embroideries, which were done by a local woman.

Warwickshire: Stratford on Avon for all things Shakespeare. Kenilworth castle.

Herefordshire: Hampton Court.

Northamptonshire is also rich in stately homes, including Burghley House and Althorp.

Nottingham is a rather dull city, but the small cathedral town of Southwell is worth visiting, and the vale of Belvoir is lovely.

A large part of Shropshire is an official Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, and worth visiting for the scenery.
Old Nov 28th 2015, 4:52 am
Forum Regular

LoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud of

Hello Editha
My trip to the UK is a combination of many things.
Sightseeing, exploring the countryside and scouting for a place to live.
I have many cities on my list of where I'd like to go (Canterbury, Oxford, Bristol, Kent and so on.)

I've heard of Joseph Wright. Painted landscapes if I'm correct.
He was also part of the Lunar Society of Birmingham, wasn't he?
Old Nov 28th 2015, 6:38 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Kent is neither a city, nor in the Midlands. Canterbury is in Kent.

The most famous picture by JW is called "An Experiment on a Bird in the Air-Pump".
Old Nov 30th 2015, 3:03 am
Forum Regular

Now that I've reread my previous post, I meant to say that I want to visit Canterbury in Kent (see what happens when I type to fast, duh?)

Anyway, I'm looking to travel throughout the whole country.
When I listed those few names, I was just explaining where I wanted to go.
I know Kent is not in the Midlands. lol
I just wanted opinions on what in the Midlands would be the best places to see.
Sorry for the confusion.
I also want to travel through the Cotswolds
Old Nov 30th 2015, 3:22 am
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

Whilst many would laugh at the suggestion, make a visit to Birmingham.

Loads of history, great shopping, near to countryside (yes you heard that right).

Sightseeing:
Black Country Museum
Back to Backs
Soho House (meeting place for the Lunar Society)
Gas Street Basin (redeveloped area of the canals with good bars and restaurants)
Bournville and Cadburyworld
Birmingham Library and Museum
Bull Ring Centre and city centre shopping

Great transport links to surrounding towns
Old Nov 30th 2015, 3:55 am
Was in Canada, now home.

The Bull Ring? A must see for a foreign visitor? Back to backs?

Do not visit B'rum.
Old Nov 30th 2015, 8:07 am
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha
The Bull Ring? A must see for a foreign visitor? Back to backs?

Do not visit B'rum.
I told you people might laugh at the suggestion

Editha, you forgot to add ROFL

Birmingham has changed a lot since the dour times of the 70's and 80's and has a lot to offer both as a place to visit and as a place to live - including the Bull Ring shopping Centre and the Back to Backs Museum
Old Nov 30th 2015, 10:59 am
Forum Regular

Hello Victor
Thank you for your suggestions.
A few months ago I inquired about Reading and a few people here said stay away.
However, a friend of mine whose daughter lives in Reading suggested visiting Downtown Reading and that, like Birmingham, it isn't as dismal as it was 40 years ago.
Should I put Reading on the list?
I'll do some research and come up with places to see.
If they're good, please let me know.

Thanks
Old Nov 30th 2015, 11:04 am
BE Forum Addict

themajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond repute

Look up the Cathedral City of LINCOLN. So much to see and do. PLUS the housing is quite cheap conpared to other counties.
Attached Thumbnails The Midlands-lincoln-cathedral-2-.jpg  
Old Nov 30th 2015, 11:24 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew
I told you people might laugh at the suggestion

Editha, you forgot to add ROFL

Birmingham has changed a lot since the dour times of the 70's and 80's and has a lot to offer both as a place to visit and as a place to live - including the Bull Ring shopping Centre and the Back to Backs Museum
True. i'm still not sure I'd include it as a tourist destination though. There isn't that much to interest a visitor from abroad that makes negotiating B'rum's traffic system worthwhile. But, then I did suggest a visit to Derby for Joseph Wright's paintings, and Derby is also dull, but it is easier to get in and out of.
Old Nov 30th 2015, 11:25 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Originally Posted by themajor
Look up the Cathedral City of LINCOLN. So much to see and do. PLUS the housing is quite cheap conpared to other counties.
He asked about the Midlands. Lincoln is in the east.
Old Nov 30th 2015, 6:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

themajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha
He asked about the Midlands. Lincoln is in the east.
Lincoln is classed as EAST MIDLANDS!! (or it used to be?)

Last edited by themajor; Nov 30th 2015 at 6:40 pm.
Old Nov 30th 2015, 6:59 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Wikipedia informs us that its definition is moot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.