Main reason for moving back?

Old Apr 4th 2008, 3:55 am
BE Enthusiast

manc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Main reason for moving back?

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
So i'm a retard living in a Rectum

Here's yer coat.
Old Apr 4th 2008, 5:29 am

Jumbo_Celcius is on a distinguished road

I will now try and answer the question in a civilised manner.
I am moving back (not neccessarly to UK) because:
a.) I had a higher standard of living and wages in the UK
b.) I feel too isolated in WA
c.) There's no culture
d.) I have nothing in common with anyone socially.
e.) I feel like Perth has been mis-represented and thus, is over rated.
f.) I've realised I'm not a "beach" person.
g.) Everybody here is trying to rip you off from real estate agents to mens clothing shops to car hire places etc, etc
h.) I find the people false in an L.A. sort of way.
i.) I'm fed up hearing about how great this country is.

Sorry about earlier, today at work started at the usual 100 miles an hour 'cos of incompetence with me being expected to sort it out.
Old Apr 4th 2008, 5:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jumbo_Celcius
I will now try and answer the question in a civilised manner.
I am moving back (not neccessarly to UK) because:
a.) I had a higher standard of living and wages in the UK
b.) I feel too isolated in WA
c.) There's no culture
d.) I have nothing in common with anyone socially.
e.) I feel like Perth has been mis-represented and thus, is over rated.
f.) I've realised I'm not a "beach" person.
g.) Everybody here is trying to rip you off from real estate agents to mens clothing shops to car hire places etc, etc
h.) I find the people false in an L.A. sort of way.
i.) I'm fed up hearing about how great this country is.

Sorry about earlier, today at work started at the usual 100 miles an hour 'cos of incompetence with me being expected to sort it out.

No worries seems to have been the day for venting!!! Anyway, today is POETS day so hang in there until 4.51 (or whatever knocking off time is!)
Old Apr 4th 2008, 5:52 am

Originally Posted by quoll
No worries seems to have been the day for venting!!! Anyway, today is POETS day so hang in there until 4.51 (or whatever knocking off time is!)
Thanks, 4:45pm for me. Forecast rain for this weekend so looks like another weekend of booze!
Old Apr 4th 2008, 5:59 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

MAJOR RANT WARNING.
I'm moving and it's increasingly looking like just outside London or Paris.
My reason is, I got told a load of sh!te about Perth/Australia.
Are the majority of people stupid/brainwashed or just trying to convince themselves this is paradise? Even now, on the other boards they are trying to convince people to come here (Perth). Is it human nature to make others suffer if you are?
I get paid less as I was moving to a lower position to "de-stress", I'm more stressed here than back in UK as the standard of competence is lower and I'm doing a higher level than what I'm supposed 'cos they just haven't got "it".
I never expected it to be like the UK but never expected such a difference.
I have a lower standard of living here, the houses are sh!te (so ****ing what if you've got a pool!), the food shopping is crap, the whole place is 20 years behind the rest of the world.
Perth is full of social/cultural retards with no international awareness (not just Aussie's but Brits as well), as someone mentioned it's like the last day of a holiday except the holiday is at Butlins and full of chav's and imported red-neck hill billys.
When telling people I'm leaving, they're saying the UK is a sh!t hole, why would you want to go back, it's a dump, it's "beautiful" here.....well, excuse me, I didn't come from a drug ridden council estate, I had a high standard of living and just fancied a change, makes you wonder who they're trying to convince...myself or their selves?
And if any "rose-tints" come on to retort, check my other posts, I have lived/worked in many different places, some even considered 3rd world compared to here and found them more socially/culturally and internationally aware.
Australia is the planets bottom and Perth is it's rectum.

****** DISCLAIMER*********

Jumbo Celsius is NOT me posting under an alias. It is all his own work we just think and rant the same way ....
Old Apr 4th 2008, 6:13 am
Forum Regular

mississippi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by brits1
Sounds like Aus though as a lot of things you mentioned are the same here.....like you say one sunny day....we have loads here and it just is not the same...nice after our "winter" (huh) but after months and months of it....nope certainly not the same.....
Totally agree with this posting. When we moved to Brisbane at the beginning of this century we were in the throes of the "California Syndrome" that is sunshine every bloody day - not just endless hours and days (and months) of sunshine but humidity that makes you sweat at 6:30am when you've just had your morning shower. Then you take the 10min stroll to the train station, in 29 degree heat and get attacked by the mozzies - on the way home a repeat, even more mozzies at dusk awaiting your virgin blood. I kind of think the weather man (and woman) is redundant in Brisbane, or at least should be a casual posting - only come on at the end of the news if it's not going to be sunny!

I know when we return to the UK in the next few months, we'll be endlessly bombarded with Brits asking us "why did we return". I think a lot of Brits are under the illusion (as you may well be) that Australia is a mini-England but with much better weather and beaches. Well I just want to let you know that it's not a little England, it probably has more in common with the US - it's a huge contintent but other than the coasts, there's not a lot to do in-between. The tv is crap - honestly, it is and I know you probably think, hey I'm coming here for the lifestyle not the tv, but when you don't have any good pubs and no daylight savings there's not a lot else to do.

I'm sure there's lots of people who love it here, all the Brits I know absolutely love it, they've been here for about 3-5 years and think it's great, but then they're all married to Aussies so they have some family here.

For me personally I just find it incredibly dull (I'm over the beach life and putting myself at risk of melanoma anytime I want to get my post from the mailbox) and it's very empty if you don't have any family here. And please give my English humour - thank god England has awful weather, it's created a population with the funniest (and sometimes warped) sense of humour on the planet!!!

I doubt these are enough reasons to put you off and I'm not trying to do that - you have to consider your own circumstances and reasons for wanting to make the journey and I wish you all the best. I know where there's a car for sale soon and a few large pieces of furniture...watch this space!
Old Apr 4th 2008, 6:42 am

[QUOTE=Fleaflyfloflum;6157041]****** DISCLAIMER*********

Jumbo Celsius is NOT me posting under an alias. It is all his own work we just think and rant the same way .... [QUOTE]

...or are we the same person.....another B.E. mystery
You, the viewers, can decide by sending your answer on a postcard along with $5 to:
Jumbo's Escape Plan Fund
Any CBD Bar
Perth
WA
'strayla
Old Apr 4th 2008, 6:45 am
BE Enthusiast

saveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to behold

I've never planned anything which is typical of my lifestyle. I went to OZ for a holiday in '78 and stayed for eighteen years and I came back to England for a holiday and I've stayed for twelve years.

I understand people wanting to come back to be closer to family and friends but not so much when it's missing the 'symbols' of England? Is that the right word? - Green fields, hedgerows, pubs, thatch cottages, etc. They are very nice of course - I love living in a village as opposed to a huge city - but you can't talk to them, embrace them. (I talk to the trees!)

I came back because I was made redundant and my parents were still here. I would not have done so otherwise and now that they have passed on I'm trying to re-assess my life. Funny how pensions assume a greater importance as you close in on sixty. How I used to mock people in their fifties when I was younger (and knew everything.) 'Bald, boring old ****'s'.

Now, I'm thinking of staying here till I'm sixty and then returning to Sydney as I've got family there and none here. If they all returned to England there's be no point in my going back to OZ.

I don't know about culture in the rest of Australia but in Sydney there is plenty of classical music, opera, theatre, etc if that is your bag. Not as good as London perhaps but much more than in any provincial British city.
Old Apr 4th 2008, 8:09 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

MAJOR RANT WARNING.
I'm moving and it's increasingly looking like just outside London or Paris.
My reason is, I got told a load of sh!te about Perth/Australia.
Are the majority of people stupid/brainwashed or just trying to convince themselves this is paradise? Even now, on the other boards they are trying to convince people to come here (Perth). Is it human nature to make others suffer if you are?
I get paid less as I was moving to a lower position to "de-stress", I'm more stressed here than back in UK as the standard of competence is lower and I'm doing a higher level than what I'm supposed 'cos they just haven't got "it".
I never expected it to be like the UK but never expected such a difference.
I have a lower standard of living here, the houses are sh!te (so ****ing what if you've got a pool!), the food shopping is crap, the whole place is 20 years behind the rest of the world.
Perth is full of social/cultural retards with no international awareness (not just Aussie's but Brits as well), as someone mentioned it's like the last day of a holiday except the holiday is at Butlins and full of chav's and imported red-neck hill billys.
When telling people I'm leaving, they're saying the UK is a sh!t hole, why would you want to go back, it's a dump, it's "beautiful" here.....well, excuse me, I didn't come from a drug ridden council estate, I had a high standard of living and just fancied a change, makes you wonder who they're trying to convince...myself or their selves?
And if any "rose-tints" come on to retort, check my other posts, I have lived/worked in many different places, some even considered 3rd world compared to here and found them more socially/culturally and internationally aware.
Australia is the planets bottom and Perth is it's rectum.
you are absolutely spot on with everything here. Love it!!!
Old Apr 4th 2008, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

hippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nice

Originally Posted by quoll
Aw thanks!!!! I cry when I get on the train leaving Cambridge (so if you ever happen to meet a middle aged lady bawling her eyes out on the 8.56 from Cambridge to Liverpool St that will probably be me). Believe me I have thought of a one way ticket but the DH is the love of my life and I cope by controlling my thinking (thank goodness for CBT and ACT!) except for the times on here when I let rip (sorry chaps but you did ask!). Most of the time I am OK and, believe it or not, I feel heaps better now that I have found this board because here I can say what I really feel and dont harbour those thoughts that I must be nuts because I dont like living in "paradise". A periodic vent is good for my soul!
I have read a bit of your posts and its not my habit to comment on personal affairs-but "the love of your life" seems to me to be an amazingly selfish peice of work-you lived here for so long. Why cant he give the UK a go! get on a plane, halve the house and find someone who cares!
Old Apr 4th 2008, 9:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hippyboy1
I have read a bit of your posts and its not my habit to comment on personal affairs-but "the love of your life" seems to me to be an amazingly selfish peice of work-you lived here for so long. Why cant he give the UK a go! get on a plane, halve the house and find someone who cares!
No he's not really. His compromise is that he wants to go and live in the bush and be self sufficient so he isnt getting what he wants either! A flush loo and running hot and cold are non negotiable for me (and, one hesitates to say it, also broadband) He is very supportive of me going home whenever I need to. We lived in UK for 3 years while he was at uni in the 70s so he knows what he is missing. I've almost got him trained, I really dont want to chuck him in for a new model
Old Apr 4th 2008, 9:29 am
Forum Regular

hippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nice

I dunno-why not be self sufficient in the UK-has he been to Cornwall? Perhaps he should-the UK simply isnt that bad-and I love Oz.
Old Apr 4th 2008, 9:41 am
Forum Regular

isleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really niceisleofmanmike is just really nice

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
Just wondering what is the main reason for people moving back to UK from Aus, is it down to missing family, not earning enough, disliking Australia or what?
We're heading off to Aus sometime in next 2 years and at times I do wonder what we're giving up and the risks involved, but have an itch that I must scratch.
Please give us some pointers to potential pitfalls
Hi Aussie Bound

I have read all the posts here and I must say I agree with most of them.....love quolls, brit 1 and jumbo celcius rants the best. My story is sligthtly different....I moved to Aussie when I was 15 in 1973......I realy hated the place, moved there weith my family...my widowed mum was going to re marry. Ended uop moving back by myself at age 17....found it hard to live there and moved back to aussie(family had then moved to Perth) a year later.

Stayed in Perth for many years, had a sort of good life but the feelings of not belonging, boredom and wanting to get the hell out of there would constanly make me feel very homesick.

To cut a long story short, I married an English Rose and settled in UK(Greater Manchester) in 1989 and 7 years ago moved to the Isle of Man.

I have been out of Aussie now for nearly 20 years and miss my family a lot.....my mum, brother and sister all live in Perth area. My mum and brother have boomeranged that many times I am sure they could be in the Guiness book of records.

When quoll mentioned about her son leaving and not returning, that is what my nephew has done....he is a typicall Aussie surfer and left with his mate to do 12 months in the UK over nine years ago and is still in London, loving it, earning plenty of money and catching loads of cheap flights around the world.

The only advice I can give you, for what it is worth, is make a list of pros and cons about moving, and if you feel that you have to take the plunge dont burn all your bridges in the UK.

If you love the SUN and dont mind the isolation, lack of cuture etc it might work for you, but if you are posting on MBTUK site I guess that yiou already have reservations.

Have you thought about moving away but closer to the UK......we moved to the Isle of Man seven years ago and must say it is the best move we have ever made.....great way of life, super beaches, no unemployment, VERYLOW TAXES, and great public services......If you want to know more please let me know.

The only thing I miss abou Aussie is my family. The last time I was there three years ago I enjoyed the holiday but three weeks was more than enough for me and I was yearning to return to my little island in the Irish Sea.

In the meantime I hope everything works out for you and you make the right decision. Take Care.
Old Apr 4th 2008, 5:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond repute

One other thing to be careful of, is that you can spend so much time thinking about going back and not actually doing it.

For example, when I moved out here I really did it with the intention that I would just see how it went. Of course then I decided that I wanted to be closer to my family and decided I would want to go home.

The I said, to be fair to the company that had relocated me to the US, I would do two years. Just before I completed the two years they said that they would apply for my Green Card, so I decided it would be nice to get that and then go back. Of course then once I got that, I started thinking about well it would be nice to get citizenship in case I ever come back.

A really good friend of mine said to me 'if you're not happy here, go.. if you ever want to come back you'll find a way, but don't waste life, thinking about what you might want to do in the future..' I would love to say that I have taken that advice but I haven't.

Good Luck.
Old Apr 4th 2008, 5:31 pm
Bendy Bully

Eric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Main reason for moving back?

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Our main reason is...we had a much better life-style in UK, so whats the point of taking 2nd best.
Good post, nicely summed up.

Anyone who's from the UK and actually wants to stay in Perth...it's a bit like admitting defeat and just giving up on life really. No friends, family, culture or anything interesting...it takes a special kind of person to aspire to that. "What shall we do today? How about sitting on the beach or outside the coffee shop, or a barbie for a change?". Terrific.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.