Looking for information

Old Dec 17th 2016, 3:46 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking for information

My OH grew up in Victoria BC. Canadians think that people from Victoria sound British. They don't. Then my OH emigrated to the UK and he has spent more than thirty years here. In Canada they think he is English. Brits think he is from North America. I'm his wife but I can't hear any difference between his accent and our neighbours in Edmonton Alberta, apart from the fact that he has a much wider vocabulary and doesn't say 'eh' so often.

He still pronounces aunt 'ant', mirror 'merr', and squirrel 'squirl', and of course tomato as in the song. He puts gas in his car, puts out the garbage in the garbage-can, and hangs up notices using thumb-tacks.

Last edited by Editha; Dec 17th 2016 at 3:49 pm.
Old Dec 17th 2016, 7:19 pm
Forum Regular

LoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
That's what's odd IMO, that you're actively trying to sound British, when you're not remotely British! Why try so hard to be something you're not? I would just suggest that when you do finally make it over to the UK to visit, that you talk with your normal accent instead of trying to sound British, as it's bound to sound anything but and you might end up with people thinking you're rather odd (at best), or even mocking or insulting them by trying to copy their accent!
I'm not trying to sound British. As I've posted I've been around the accent since I'm young so it's natural to me.
Shirt back is right. What is meant by accent? I'll clarify it this way. My family comes from East London. That either helps or it doesn't lol
Old Dec 17th 2016, 9:12 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LoveFortheUK
I'm not trying to sound British. As I've posted I've been around the accent since I'm young so it's natural to me.
Shirt back is right. What is meant by accent? I'll clarify it this way. My family comes from East London. That either helps or it doesn't lol
It doesn't. If you have somehow absorbed you great grandmother's East London accent from her time there perhaps 100+ years ago, no-one in the UK would understand a word.

But stop worrying, your British accent actually doesn't exist.
Old Dec 17th 2016, 9:54 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not trying to sound British. As I've posted I've been around the accent since I'm young so it's natural to me
You've said you've worked hard to 'master the accent', so that's trying to sound British. If you have to try and master something, it's not natural!

Your family isn't British if only one family member is from London over a hundred years ago, any more than mine is American because I had a grandmother from Ohio.
Old Dec 17th 2016, 10:23 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

SOS people think I'm weird anyway, accent or no accent.
Pretentious is a bit of a stretch but I understand.
I'm sure there are some women who would think I'm full of it
Then again there are many Americans who think I'm full of it so what else is new?

I am who I am and I speak the way I speak.
I will either be accepted for it or I won't be accepted for it.
I've been dealing with it since I'm four so I'm used to people's opinions by now.
How do you or don't speak is really none of my concern, I was just answering your question.

It appears to be a concern for you, despite your post above, because you're asking people their opinion about it and you keep discussing it.

If you're not bothered by it, and other people's opinions don't worry you, then my advice to you would be to move on. It's a 'non-issue' for everyone including yourself!
Old Dec 18th 2016, 12:58 am
Forum Regular

LoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud of

OK I'll move on. I was replying out of curtesy not approval. After all this is a discussion board. Next subject.
Old Dec 18th 2016, 1:27 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

OK I'll move on. I was replying out of curtesy not approval. After all this is a discussion board. Next subject.

Asking for opinions on how you speak, and then responding with
I am who I am and I speak the way I speak.
I will either be accepted for it or I won't be accepted for it

doesn't sound like much of a discussion to me, more like a load of passive-aggressive gobble-dee-gook. It also begs the question of why you asked in the first place, which is what I was trying to say to you.

Anyway, I'm out! Carry on
Old Dec 18th 2016, 8:37 pm
Forum Regular

You know what you are right. I did ask for opinions and what I got were "who the hell does he think he is" type answers. So I responded with the "I am who I am" answers
I should have known better than to fall into a trap of being put on the defensive. Next time I ask a question I'll just say thanks for the responses. Until next time
Old Dec 18th 2016, 9:04 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

You know what you are right. I did ask for opinions and what I got were "who the hell does he think he is" type answers. So I responded with the "I am who I am" answers ....
Except you are trying to be somebody else. You are an American, and you almost certainly have an accent somewhere on the spectrum of American accents. I don't know why that isn't good enough for you as some people love an American accent. Instead you want to pretend that you're British, and the likely outcome will, at best, be that many people in Britain people would think you're a fraud or a twit.

Last edited by Pulaski; Dec 18th 2016 at 9:07 pm.
Old Dec 18th 2016, 10:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Except you are trying to be somebody else. You are an American, and you almost certainly have an accent somewhere on the spectrum of American accents. I don't know why that isn't good enough for you as some people love an American accent. Instead you want to pretend that you're British, and the likely outcome will, at best, be that many people in Britain people would think you're a fraud or a twit.
There's a wordgame we used to play where one changes one letter per word to make a new one. I have a spare vowel floating around...
Old Dec 18th 2016, 10:39 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shirtback
There's a wordgame we used to play where one changes one letter per word to make a new one. I have a spare vowel floating around. .....
I can't imagine what you could possibly mean.
Old Dec 19th 2016, 4:29 pm
Forum Regular

Whatever you say Pulaski?
I'm not here to argue
I'm here to add to my knowledge about Britain.
If I have an opportunity to work and live in Britain then I'll take it should that moment come.

P.S. It's none of your business to tell me that America is good enough for me and I should accept it. I have my reason for wanting to move out. Now if you'll excuse me I've got research to do. Have a safe and happy holiday season. πŸ˜€

P.S.S. I still love the UK even if some of you dislike meπŸ‡¬πŸ‡§πŸ‘
Old Dec 19th 2016, 6:56 pm
Concierge

Whatever you say Pulaski?
I'm not here to argue
I'm here to add to my knowledge about Britain.
If I have an opportunity to work and live in Britain then I'll take it should that moment come.

P.S. It's none of your business to tell me that America is good enough for me and I should accept it. I have my reason for wanting to move out. Now if you'll excuse me I've got research to do. Have a safe and happy holiday season. πŸ˜€

P.S.S. I still love the UK even if some of you dislike meπŸ‡¬πŸ‡§πŸ‘
It's not a question of no one liking you! People are just responding to what you post. Take your time and have a good scout around the posts on the Moving Back to the UK site - it's amazing how knowledge we retain when reading about other people's experiences. It also serves as a good prompt for questions of our own.

If you celebrate Christmas, Merry Christmas to you and your family
Old Dec 19th 2016, 9:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
It's not a question of no one liking you! People are just responding to what you post. Take your time and have a good scout around the posts on the Moving Back to the UK site - it's amazing how knowledge we retain when reading about other people's experiences. It also serves as a good prompt for questions of our own.

If you celebrate Christmas, Merry Christmas to you and your family

As SoS says, it's not a question of like or dislike (on my behalf at least), I'm just not quite sure I understand you, or what you're on about at times.
Old Dec 19th 2016, 10:29 pm

.... P.S. It's none of your business to tell me that America is good enough for me and I should accept it. .....
I don't know what you think I said, but that certainly isn't it! (Adding an "n" to what you misquoted would be a step in the right direction. ) If you can find a way to get a visa to live and work in the UK, then I would be fully supportive of you making a move over there.

Last edited by Pulaski; Dec 19th 2016 at 10:32 pm.